Carrier Dome Upgrades: Bills Could Play In Syracuse, NY

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Tell me again why the Bills have to go to their ‘fans’ as opposed to the ‘fans’ making a trip to go to the Bills?

As someone who has a 3 hour drive each way, and it’s completely worth it btw, it would be nice to see even a meaningless preseason game 45 mins away once in awhile. Lots and lots of Bills fans in the utica/Syracuse area. 

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s more about the revenue differences. If the Bills lose 1/10 of their ticketing revenue, sponsorship revenue, goodwill with the core fans, etc...is it worth it? The answer is almost certainly no. They can’t possibly make up for that by taking a game to Syracuse. Loss of revenue + loss of goodwill isn’t necessarily something that the Bills will consider.

I get ticket revenue concerns, however, loss of goodwill? I'm not so sure where that comes into play. I've never heard a season ticket holder who was happy to pay for preseason games. Most wouldn't care or be happy they get one off their books.

If it's a loss of money though, I agree, they aren't doing it. I don't see Syracuse doing anything to make it worth it financially like Rogers communications did for the Toronto games.

If it happened, good for Syracuse. I genuinely hope they'd enjoy it... but it is preaseason.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dhg said:

Saw Sir Paul there last year. First time I had been there and my impression was that the place was a dump. It was a pretty warm night so it was really warm in there that night, especially in the upper level. 

The Dome is mecca compared to the Ralph, I'm sorry, New Era Field.

Their bathrooms work. How anyone could regularly attend Bills games and call the Carrier Dome a dump is beyond me.

17 minutes ago, pepsicat17 said:

As someone who has a 3 hour drive each way, and it’s completely worth it btw, it would be nice to see even a meaningless preseason game 45 mins away once in awhile. Lots and lots of Bills fans in the utica/Syracuse area. 

I’m sure it would be nice but the Bills are under no obligation to play where you happen to live.

28 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I get ticket revenue concerns, however, loss of goodwill? I'm not so sure where that comes into play. I've never heard a season ticket holder who was happy to pay for preseason games. Most wouldn't care or be happy they get one off their books.

If it's a loss of money though, I agree, they aren't doing it. I don't see Syracuse doing anything to make it worth it financially like Rogers communications did for the Toronto games.

If it happened, good for Syracuse. I genuinely hope they'd enjoy it... but it is preaseason.

I am not sure that ticket revenue for the preseason is a big deal for the NFL if the truth be told.  Probably less of a big deal for Buffalo area fans who feel like they are being held hostage if they want season tickets which forces them to buy in on two preseason games.  I think most Buffalo area fans would only be too happy to have a choice as to whether they want to buy in on both preseason games or not.  Let Syracuse have one preseason Bills game if SU wants it.  

Again, at this point in time I question whether the Pegula's would have the tiniest amount interest in a regular season game there so Buffalo area fans need not fear that.  That SU would want to host a regular season game is equally unlikely at present.  The whole thing probably mattered more when the Jets had camp at Cortland with an eye on the WNY market when ownership of the Bills was up in the air.

27 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Doubtful. Plus what would be the point really? 

Most likely smaller than the Giants who have a far longer history but even with Jets camp in Cortland a few years ago you did not see many sporting Jets gear in points east of Rochester.

39 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The Rogers deal was a big upfront payment at a time when the gap between the haves and have nots was at its peak. These new stadiums were popping up everywhere with suite revenue and local sponsorship revenue that drove the cap. The Bills has to do that to remain viable. In addition to the chunk of money that they got they attracted new Canadian sponsorship revenue and their Canadian ticket base reached an all-time high. It was similar to camp in Rochester. 

Syracuse isn’t the size of Southern Ontario (or even 10% the size). There will be fans and sponsors that hate the idea of one less game a year. For sponsors, it is 10% less impressions. For the fans it’s one less game to attend (potentially with the kids). This all goes without even mentioning the owners desire to do that. I can’t imagine that the Pegula’s would even consider this. There really is no positives other than attracting a few more fans in CNY. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s more about the revenue differences. If the Bills lose 1/10 of their ticketing revenue, sponsorship revenue, goodwill with the core fans, etc...is it worth it? The answer is almost certainly no. They can’t possibly make up for that by taking a game to Syracuse. Loss of revenue + loss of goodwill isn’t necessarily something that the Bills will consider.

Can they play a pre-pre-season game ...like a scrimmage with the Jets!

3 hours ago, dhg said:

Saw Sir Paul there last year. First time I had been there and my impression was that the place was a dump. It was a pretty warm night so it was really warm in there that night, especially in the upper level. 

I skipped that concert, and will probably regret it since you never know if you’ll get the chance to see him again. The venue was the sole reason that I skipped that concert, and parking is a nightmare. 

6 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Are you kidding me? The stadium literally named after an HVAC Corporatation has inadequate HVAC???

This is exactly what I was thinking scrolling through the posts.  Thanks -- now I can stop reading.

2 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I skipped that concert, and will probably regret it since you never know if you’ll get the chance to see him again. The venue was the sole reason that I skipped that concert, and parking is a nightmare. 

I had two options for McCartney last year.  Syracuse or Detroit.  Despite a drive twice as long, I chose Detroit because I didn't want to sit in bleachers for 3 hours in a place where the acoustics are terrible.  I made the right choice as I believe the temps were in the high 80's the day of the Syracuse concert.

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m sure it would be nice but the Bills are under no obligation to play where you happen to live.

I understand they have no obligation hence the “it would be nice” comment. 

• Like (+1) 1