Carrier Dome Upgrades: Bills Could Play In Syracuse, NY

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesports/index.ssf/2018/05/syracuse_details_118_million_in_carrier_dome_renovations_including_permanent_roo.html?__vfz=rtw_top_pages%3D9789600014006

A Buffalo Bills pre-season game at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY?

I always understood that the biggest obstacle to the Bills playing a pre-season game at the Carrier Dome was the lack of air conditioning.  

Had Syracuse, NY native Russ Brandon still be with the Bills I'm confident it could be done!

:)

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Won't happen. Even with AC, the Dome is not up to NFL standards. 

NFL needs to get over themselves. It is just a meaningless pre season game. Who cares about standards. 

Bears played in U of IL stadium for a year when Soldier field was redone. Vikings played in U of MN stadium for a year when new stadium was built. If NFL can play in reg season games in Mexico City and MLB can play in Puerto Rico etc etc.. it can be done. PS: and just recently on the island with no power. Using generators to light the field.

I think NFL can suck it up and put up with a cramped locker room for one meaningless preseason game.  If it is about production issues for TV again they can suck it up and use hand held cameras instead of cameras on dollies/rails etc etc...….to broadcast it.

Edited by cba fan

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

NFL needs to get over themselves. It is just a meaningless pre season game. Who cares about standards. 

Bears played in U of IL stadium for a year when Soldier field was redone. Vikings played in U of MN stadium for a year when new stadium was built. If NFL can play in reg season games in Mexico City and MLB can play in Puerto Rico etc etc.. it can be done. PS: and just recently on the island with no power. Using generators to light the field.

I think NFL can suck it up and put up with a cramped locker room for one meaningless preseason game.  If it is about production issues for TV again they can suck it up and use hand held cameras instead of cameras on dollies/rails etc etc...….to broadcast it.

It’s more about the revenue differences. If the Bills lose 1/10 of their ticketing revenue, sponsorship revenue, goodwill with the core fans, etc...is it worth it? The answer is almost certainly no. They can’t possibly make up for that by taking a game to Syracuse. Loss of revenue + loss of goodwill isn’t necessarily something that the Bills will consider.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

Do the Bills have a larger fan base in Syracuse than the Jets or Giants?

I don't meet many Jets fans personally. I feel like it's split between Bills and Giants 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, PearlHowardman said:

I've heard that, too.  I just don't think there would be huge modifications to allow a Buffalo Bills NFL pre-season game.

The dome to my understanding does not have the broadcast technology the NFL desires to make an NFL game possible never mind desirable. 

14 minutes ago, CNY315 said:

I don't meet many Jets fans personally. I feel like it's split between Bills and Giants 

Yep, seems to be mostly Bills or Giants fans to any degree of concentration.  

14 hours ago, PearlHowardman said:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesports/index.ssf/2018/05/syracuse_details_118_million_in_carrier_dome_renovations_including_permanent_roo.html?__vfz=rtw_top_pages%3D9789600014006

I always understood that the biggest obstacle to the Bills playing a pre-season game at the Carrier Dome was the lack of air conditioning.  

Had Syracuse, NY native Russ Brandon still be with the Bills I'm confident it could be done!

If it were to be done it would have happened by now.  I think when Ralph was still running things he would have been open to a game in Syracuse and perhaps a game played in December in what most likely would have been poor weather.  But still as stated before the dome would have to have upgrades  for broadcast purposes and I doubt SU would have paid for them.  For the time being I don't see the Pegula's as being interested in a game down to Syracuse.

• Like (+1) 1

Great!   Bring back Brandon so the bills can play in Syracuse!   

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Peevo said:

I don't get this, there's no mention of hosting any NFL product of any kind in this article.

Is there even any interest in 'Cuse hosting an NFL game, regardless of team?  

This is a good question but it still comes down to lacking the broadcast technology and there has been no indication SU wants to invest in that.  Supposedly, SU is looking to replace the dome in the next 10-20 years so it makes it less likely they will spend heavily on the dome.  Then there would be the issue of territory and whether Syracuse is considered Bills territory.  If the Jets chose to play a game there it would open the door for other teams to play games deep in other teams' territories and I don't think that any one NFL team wants to open the door to that.  Then there is the cost of playing a home game away from the permanent facilities.  Lastly, I have never heard any rumor as far as SU wanting to have an NFL game played there.

• Like (+1) 1

Saw Sir Paul there last year. First time I had been there and my impression was that the place was a dump. It was a pretty warm night so it was really warm in there that night, especially in the upper level. 

Are you kidding me? The stadium literally named after an HVAC Corporatation has inadequate HVAC???

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, dhg said:

Saw Sir Paul there last year. First time I had been there and my impression was that the place was a dump. It was a pretty warm night so it was really warm in there that night, especially in the upper level. 

Part of the renovations listed in the article are to remedy that dumpy look. 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Are you kidding me? The stadium literally named after an HVAC Corporatation has inadequate HVAC???

Inadequate? Try none. 

• Like (+1) 1