Heartfelt story of female football player.. Toni Harris, best of luck on your goal!

10 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Even if this is the case there are two major differences.

1) The amount of muscle mass one can put on is directly porportionate to their frame, ligament/tendon strength, bone density and natural body weight. Men typically have larger frames and higher starting body weights as well as stronger tendons/ligaments and denser bones than women(another effect of Testosterone). Even if women were able to put on the same percentage of muscle mass, the amount of muscle mass would be less simply due to their starting weight being lower.

2) Women naturally have a much higher normal body fat percentage than men. At 15% body fat a woman will look ripped. At the same body fat in a man you will barely see abs.  Football players many times are under 10% body fat...a woman would suffer severe physiological consequences if she got this low and could actually die.

The point here isn't what's "typical".  My question is whether there are female athletes, the very right side of the bell curve for frame, strength, speed etc., who could "slot in" to the NFL talent level, not at the far right side of the NFL curve, but in the middle or bottom side where less-physically-talented players (like Jim Leonhard) made a career out of leveraging a great football mind and knowledge of the game to maximize the impact of his (relatively mediocre) skills. 

I think that's theoretically possible, based upon what top female athletes have achieved in various sports such as basketball, soccer, etc.

I don't think it's likely, because most women who have that level of athleticism choose sports where there are more opportunities for women to play sports professionally, such as soccer, basketball, or volleyball.

You may disagree - totally reasonable - but you can't really argue against the point based on what's "typical" or "average", because no one is arguing that "typical" or "average" females or female athletes could possibly slot in at that talent level.    The point is the far right edge of the bell curve for female athletes vs the bell curve for successful NFL players, and whether there's any overlap.

Per article on Livestrong: " The range of body fat percentage for NFL players runs from about 3.4 percent to 35.6 percent, but the average body fat for a given position is somewhere in the middle. A wide receiver has an average body fat of about 9.4 percent, with a range between 3.7 and 19.4 percent, while an offensive lineman has an average body fat of about 24.6, with a range between 13.9 and 35.6 percent. The average body fat percentages of players in other positions fall in between those of wide receivers and offensive linemen."  Most elite female athletes have 15-20% body fat.  That's not out of the NFL range of body fat for a WR or DB, which says to me if the woman had a similar frame, height, and weight and similar athleticism, she could slot in.

As for the young lady featured in the OP, I wish her all the best in the world but from what I saw, I don't think she could match up well to a female athlete from an elite women's college sport (say, Napheesa Collier), much less a male football player from a D1 school. 

That would also be true of most male football players from NAIA programs.

3 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

160, 171, 189, 215

It 2as the lighter weight class, but there was a chick from an inner city school at 275. She was a mauler.  Vicious. She would get warnings for hitting and slapping. 

Why is that? 

Prolly her technique was weak sauce and she got frustrated when she couldn't get by on weight/size?  Just guessing.

Sportsmanship is far different than chivalry, bud.

I open doors for all my tinder dates, and message them the next day.  Respect for women is entirely different. It is disrespectful to treat a woman as anything less than an equal.  #metoo

Back in the day, I played several martial arts (none to expertise) - judo, TKD, karate.  Coed classes, co-ed sparring in class, for rank advancement, and at smaller informal tournaments.

It was explained to me you bow to your partner before the bout, both to indicate respect and to recognize that you are both stepping out of the "normal sphere" of social behavior.

Other sports don't bow, but to my understanding the captains meeting at midfield/shaking hands started as a similar tradition: "in a bar, I'd buy you a beer but for the next 60 minutes I will do my best to make you eat dirt"

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Haha. Lets break this down bc it really shouldnt be THIS complicated. 

Are there fast women in this world? Yes. 

Are there big women in this world? Yes. 

Are there strong women in this world? Yes. 

Now that those disclaimers are out of the way lets stop the nonsense. 

Some of the fastest women in the history of the world (Jeter, Jones, Joyner) have weighed between 128lbs and 150. 

Yes theyre fast. We’re talking about all-time fast. How strong are they? How big are they? A 128lb woman would DIE on a football field. Name me a single NFL player that weighs less than 150 (including kickers). Those sizes could only be used at WR or maybe CB. LB’s or safeties that weigh 220lbs+ would obliterate them. 

Lets go on opposite side of spectrum. Lets find a woman that is 6’5 and weighs 250. Can that woman run a 4.6 40? Can she put up 225lbs 20+ times? 

The only way to know for sure is to measure every woman on the planet.

In general, what you are saying is true. But chances are there is a woman out there, in some distant land, who CAN do those things. And then the only question is, does she want to play football?

I bet there will be a woman in the NFL one day. She'll probably be a punter or a kicker. Those positions are well protected, and it is not unimaginable that a woman could kick a ball far and accurately.

15 hours ago, JinxedBill1 said:

No thanks.  I'm rooting for her but I still think there should be a league for woman like the NBA.  

there actually was in the wny area years ago, (it may have been specific to rochester).  my cousin was an owner/player.  it was awful.

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The point here isn't what's "typical".  My question is whether there are female athletes, the very right side of the bell curve for frame, strength, speed etc., who could "slot in" to the NFL talent level, not at the far right side of the NFL curve, but in the middle or bottom side where less-physically-talented players (like Jim Leonhard) made a career out of leveraging a great football mind and knowledge of the game to maximize the impact of his (relatively mediocre) skills. 

I think that's theoretically possible, based upon what top female athletes have achieved in various sports such as basketball, soccer, etc.

I don't think it's likely, because most women who have that level of athleticism choose sports where there are more opportunities for women to play sports professionally, such as soccer, basketball, or volleyball.

You may disagree - totally reasonable - but you can't really argue against the point based on what's "typical" or "average", because no one is arguing that "typical" or "average" females or female athletes could possibly slot in at that talent level.    The point is the far right edge of the bell curve for female athletes vs the bell curve for successful NFL players, and whether there's any overlap.

Per article on Livestrong: " The range of body fat percentage for NFL players runs from about 3.4 percent to 35.6 percent, but the average body fat for a given position is somewhere in the middle. A wide receiver has an average body fat of about 9.4 percent, with a range between 3.7 and 19.4 percent, while an offensive lineman has an average body fat of about 24.6, with a range between 13.9 and 35.6 percent. The average body fat percentages of players in other positions fall in between those of wide receivers and offensive linemen."  Most elite female athletes have 15-20% body fat.  That's not out of the NFL range of body fat for a WR or DB, which says to me if the woman had a similar frame, height, and weight and similar athleticism, she could slot in.

As for the young lady featured in the OP, I wish her all the best in the world but from what I saw, I don't think she could match up well to a female athlete from an elite women's college sport (say, Napheesa Collier), much less a male football player from a D1 school. 

Prolly her technique was weak sauce and she got frustrated when she couldn't get by on weight/size?  Just guessing.

Back in the day, I played several martial arts (none to expertise) - judo, TKD, karate.  Coed classes, co-ed sparring in class, for rank advancement, and at smaller informal tournaments.

It was explained to me you bow to your partner before the bout, both to indicate respect and to recognize that you are both stepping out of the "normal sphere" of social behavior.

She was just an angry person and used it to channel her frustrations. I forgot her name but she was very sweet off the mat. By senior year she weighed over 300lbs.

16 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Would you tackle a woman with all of your might? I would not.

Yes. When she puts on a helmet she's no longer a she. She becomes a football player. If the person under the helmet can't handle the hard hits then it's not the sport for them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

(female wrestler who got warnings for slapping and hitting opponents)
She was just an angry person and used it to channel her frustrations. I forgot her name but she was very sweet off the mat. By senior year she weighed over 300lbs.

I actually had the same thought about the young football player in the OP.  She's certainly got a lot of stuff to be angry about in her life to date.  Sports are a great way to channel anger and aggressions, and football is King for that.  As Eric Wood was quoted, "you can do things on the football field that are severely illegal anywhere else".  If playing football helps her channel that stuff, get it out and live a happier life off-field, Godspeed to her.

HS kid at my kid's school, gonna graduate this year, all-State defensive tackle in smaller HS division.  Earned a scholarship to play football at a DII college.  Also wrestled. Good kid, you can tell he was raised to be a gentleman, but real hardship in his background that has given him "Mad issues" he takes out legally on the football field.  I have similar concerns about him that some have expressed about the young woman in the OP.  He's a DT, and he's like 5'8, 5'9.  His wrestling technique and strength got him by in HS, I worry he's going to get blown up and injured in college.

You don't find 5'8 DT in high level competition for a reason.

It's a nice story, but that's really where it ends.  Over 1 million young men play high school football every year.  Tens of thousands go on to play football in college.  By comparison, there's only about 1,500 young women that play high school football (yes it's that many) and a few dozen that play college football.  Taking the mathematical odds of making it to the NFL level where teams are only filling out 53 active roster spots on 32 teams, it is extremely unlikely.  Simply put, if an NFL caliber punter is one-in-a-million, then men's football (starting with HS) will turn out one a year.  By comparison, we would see one female punter about every 600 years.

As for Toni Harris, she's a 5' 6" safety playing for Bethany College.  She's not even the best player on her team, much less a viable candidate for the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually had the same thought about the young football player in the OP.  She's certainly got a lot of stuff to be angry about in her life to date.  Sports are a great way to channel anger and aggressions, and football is King for that.  As Eric Wood was quoted, "you can do things on the football field that are severely illegal anywhere else".  If playing football helps her channel that stuff, get it out and live a happier life off-field, Godspeed to her.

HS kid at my kid's school, gonna graduate this year, all-State defensive tackle in smaller HS division.  Earned a scholarship to play football at a DII college.  Also wrestled. Good kid, you can tell he was raised to be a gentleman, but real hardship in his background that has given him "Mad issues" he takes out legally on the football field.  I have similar concerns about him that some have expressed about the young woman in the OP.  He's a DT, and he's like 5'8, 5'9.  His wrestling technique and strength got him by in HS, I worry he's going to get blown up and injured in college.

You don't find 5'8 DT in high level competition for a reason.

That and not be able to channel his frustration without success.  I've known a few who went down the road and it didn't end well, both took their life.  Mental illness.

7 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

It's a nice story, but that's really where it ends.  Over 1 million young men play high school football every year.  Tens of thousands go on to play football in college.  By comparison, there's only about 1,500 young women that play high school football (yes it's that many) and a few dozen that play college football.  Taking the mathematical odds of making it to the NFL level where teams are only filling out 53 active roster spots on 32 teams, it is extremely unlikely.  Simply put, if an NFL caliber punter is one-in-a-million, then men's football (starting with HS) will turn out one a year.  By comparison, we would see one female punter about every 600 years.

As for Toni Harris, she's a 5' 6" safety playing for Bethany College.  She's not even the best player on her team, much less a viable candidate for the NFL.  

Good post.

I couldn't find her height anywhere,  I was guessing based on how she looked relative to the people around her.  Yeah, I wish her the best, but she's too small for the NFL just like the 5'8 or 5'9" male DT I wrote about.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

That's your opinion.I wrestled in HS in the late 70's and early 80's,not a chance I would ever take on a girl. No way...No how. These days boys are joining the girl scouts and girls are going the boy scouts...have at it!!!!...

This is why your wife wears the pants in the household. 

Edited by Jauronimo

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Other sports don't bow, but to my understanding the captains meeting at midfield/shaking hands started as a similar tradition: "in a bar, I'd buy you a beer but for the next 60 minutes I will do my best to make you eat dirt"

I think this this is the best/correct part - yes there is that 0.01% on the farthest part of the female athletic spectrum that would match up with the a mid to lower level NFL player at certain positions.  

You are spot on and as you stated the issue is that elite level female athlete will most likely not be trying out for the NFL because the opportunity is not really there - she will be playing in a more female focused league like the WNBA where she can be elite.

The issue with everyone saying something can not be done is because it has not been done.  There are definitely limitations to how a female could fit on a football field, but if they are talented enough to play in High School and they can get a college scholarship then take it as far as you can.  As barriers break then others that are closer to the 0.01% may try and you may one day see the barrier broken.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I will slightly disagree with you there bud... Sure Leonhard may not be super physically gifted from NFL standards...

but he was still a 3x All American in college and is jacked at 5’8 185... he was really fast coming out as well

I am all For equality but I have still yet to find A woman that could even potentially rival a Jim Leonhard in terms of size, speed, skill on a football field 

He was a really good football player. 

Anything is possible , but she would have to be an absolute freak of nature to be able to do anything other than kick, punt or possibly QB if her arm was strong enough and she could process things a million miles a second 

tough for me to see a RB, WR, LB or DB at a super high level

22 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think this this is the best/correct part - yes there is that 0.01% on the farthest part of the female athletic spectrum that would match up with the a mid to lower level NFL player at certain positions.  

You are spot on and as you stated the issue is that elite level female athlete will most likely not be trying out for the NFL because the opportunity is not really there - she will be playing in a more female focused league like the WNBA where she can be elite.

The issue with everyone saying something can not be done is because it has not been done.  There are definitely limitations to how a female could fit on a football field, but if they are talented enough to play in High School and they can get a college scholarship then take it as far as you can.  As barriers break then others that are closer to the 0.01% may try and you may one day see the barrier broken.

...would be a great story, but I doubt it happens.....first female to make it in the NFL will be a PK or perhaps a punter........plenty of females with soccer background.....my good bud Bobby Thomas was a ND soccer player by trade who made it with da Bears as PK......retired and became Chief Justice of Illinois Supreme Court.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I will slightly disagree with you there bud... Sure Leonhard may not be super physically gifted from NFL standards...

but he was still a 3x All American in college and is jacked at 5’8 185... he was really fast coming out as well

I am all For equality but I have still yet to find A woman that could even potentially rival a Jim Leonhard in terms of size, speed, skill on a football field 

He was a really good football player. 

Anything is possible , but she would have to be an absolute freak of nature to be able to do anything other than kick, punt or possibly QB if her arm was strong enough and she could process things a million miles a second 

tough for me to see a RB, WR, LB or DB at a super high level

Yup.

Take MMA Cris Cyborg, she is huge for a woman 5'8" 175 when not cutting weight, she is about the size of a small CB.  She was deadlifting 305 lbs, could she do more, I don't know but Deshaun Watson was deadlifting 605 for a QB. She may be on the small end of CB size wise but I highly doubt she can run a even a sub 5.00 40. 

As Bob said physically a woman could be of the same size but surly would lack in foot speed or she may be almost as fast yet wouldn't have the physical size or muscle mass. 

A woman in the NFL is something that would never happen  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PeterGriffin said:

Take MMA Cris Cyborg, she is huge for a woman 5'8" 175 when not cutting weight

Article I found says she weighs 145.  If she's truly "cutting weight" 20% of her body mass that's a lot. 

No, 5'8" and 175 is not particularly "huge" for a female athlete.

Jim Leonhard's combine time was 4.63 40yd and he went undrafted, partly 'cuz regarded as not fast.

Other than that, I'd be looping responses so I'm done here.

23 hours ago, Bills4life1924 said:

What sport does a women have that men dont? Cheerleading? There are men cheerleaders. Field hockey(possibly)? But men play hockey instead. I cannot think of another women organized sport that men do not have. If I am missing something let me know, but women do not have all the opportunity in organized sports like men do

Mens field hockey is an Olympic sport. That’s largely a US thing, that men don’t play. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Article I found says she weighs 145.  If she's truly "cutting weight" 20% of her body mass that's a lot. 

No, 5'8" and 175 is not particularly "huge" for a female athlete.

Jim Leonhard's combine time was 4.63 40yd and he went undrafted, partly 'cuz regarded as not fast.

Other than that, I'd be looping responses so I'm done here.

Jarvis Landry ran a 4.77...

while a 4.63 doesn’t seem fast when you see combine times in the 4.3 and 4.4s it is still very fast for a human being

4.4 is top class, 4.5 is really fast, 4.6 is fast...

The average safety 40 time is around 4.60 so he is right there... 4.8 would be slow for a safety 

Edited by Buffalo716

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Jim Leonhard weighed in at the combine at 190lbs. Ran a 4.6 40 and benched 225 19 times.

No 5’8 female can do all of the above (which by the way is nothing special for NFL talent):

she can be 5’8 and run that time, sure. But she’ll end up benching 225 maybe 5 times. And thats being extremely optimistic. For her to have the speed necessary to run that time (which isnt that fast for NFL) she’ll have to be leaner (simply look at what female sprinters weigh). A female isnt physiologically engineered to do both at that level. 

If you want a female to put up 225 19 times she would have to be a monster. I honestly dont even know if its possible. Id have to look at female powerlifters around the world to even get a point of reference.  Unfortunately, a powerlifter isnt the ideal bodytype candidate to play in the NFL. 

Unfortunately theres no way around this argument regardless of what side of the bell curve youre looking at. Genetics and physiology are incontestible here. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

You are 100% wrong. There is NO woman on the entire planet who can match even the worst athlete on a NFL field. Just like there is not a single woman who can make it in the men’s European League of Basketball, let alone NBA. You are grasping at ideologies and not actual common sense. 

• Like (+1) 1