When that adult child of yours just won't move out....

Just Jack

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

As they noted, it's not like he has a lease. Change the locks.

I feel for the parents, it has to be terrible to get to that point with your own child and you can see in the letters that they are trying to help him even while they are kicking him out.

Somehow I think the parents did a sub-par job if this is where they ended up.

30 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Are they italian?  What's the problem?

I had an Italian-American co-worker years ago.  Not that that means anything... But he told how he came back from Vietnam, comes up to the house... Some other family was living there.  I guess his family moved without writing him.

Also... Same guy who had his mother plead for him to re-enlist so his "crazy younger brother doesn't go to Vietnam and get killed."  He re-upped, his bro failed the physical, didn't even go in.

Something tells me, the family was trying to get rid of him.

Can't this family in Syracuse have him sent to Iraq?  Afghanistan?  Nothing like a good old war to get them out of the house.

8 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

As they noted, it's not like he has a lease. Change the locks.

I feel for the parents, it has to be terrible to get to that point with your own child and you can see in the letters that they are trying to help him even while they are kicking him out.

Someone noted in the comments that because he's related, there's more steps that must be followed than just changing the locks, to get him out. 

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

Beat the living shite outta him and drag him out......done deal.

Early 70s.... a hippy cousin moves in with grandma, she asks him to stop growing pot in her apartment, he tells her he will break her arm, five family men come over and pitch him into the street, haven’t heard a word from him since.

Sorry but luxuries like everyone having their own home was the strange thing, like gold plated pensions for basic skills and factory jobs for life after WW2.  Families have always had three or four generations under the same roof, so two isn’t a big deal.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Average age in WWII was 26. Plenty young!

Age-wise he is good to go but the military has changed a lot in the past few decades.  If this guy does not have his act together it will show in the interview and the military will decline to take him.  It is no longer a warehouse for social misfits and the maladjusted.  It is not necessarily about being bright but just willing to extend effort.  Gomer Pyle could enlist in today's military because he at least had a good attitude about being in the military and they still need guys to cut the lawn, service vehicles, and serve chow to name a few tasks.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Early 70s.... a hippy cousin moves in with grandma, she asks him to stop growing pot in her apartment, he tells her he will break her arm, five family men come over and pitch him into the street, haven’t heard a word from him since.

Sorry but luxuries like everyone having their own home was the strange thing, like gold plated pensions for basic skills and factory jobs for life after WW2.  Families have always had three or four generations under the same roof, so two isn’t a big deal.

The difference is that in the multi-generational families living together everyone had their roles and responsibilities. The case in this link is that with the deadbeat son there is abuse going on related to ignoring the wishes of the parents (owners of the house) and not making any contribution to maintaining the property going beyond even paying rent which I'm sure he is not doing. 

The only way that this leach is going to make it on his own is to force him to provide for himself. The problem is because he doesn't have any life skills he is not employable. I really feel for the parents. They will never have peace in their lives as long as this lost cause son is in the picture. 

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The difference is that in the multi-generational families living together everyone had their roles and responsibilities. The case in this link is that with the deadbeat son there is abuse going on related to ignoring the wishes of the parents (owners of the house) and not making any contribution to maintaining the property going beyond even paying rent which I'm sure he is not doing. 

The only way that this leach is going to make it on his own is to force him to provide for himself. The problem is because he doesn't have any life skills he is not employable. I really feel for the parents. They will never have peace in their lives as long as this lost cause son is in the picture. 

i can assure you children born in the 50s and 60s were bigger deadbeats than those born after 2000...

This is a testament to bad parenting, period. 

Congratulations, you failed as a parent!!! 

And, the audacity to brag about this to the media is repugnant on multiple levels. 

How is is being received is disgusting, too. 

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

i can assure you children born in the 50s and 60s were bigger deadbeats than those born after 2000...

This is probably true even though you are talking about my "generation" when talking about kids from the 1950's and 1960's.  Opportunities for those lacking advanced skills or education is less today versus coming of age during the 1970's and 1980's.  I am far from being a commie-liberal but there will be a need for UBI (universal basic income) going into the future as it will not be possible to make every last person a white collar professional.  The alternative would be to let those of limited ability resort to crime to fill in the income gaps.  Then there is the matter of educating younger people about social responsibility in that it is not up to society to provide a living like a millionaire without the individual taking the personal steps in an ethical manner to make it so.