Is "faith" a requirement under McD?

eball

33 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Not sure why you decided to use this thread to dump on Christianity, but Mr. Harris (and you, by proxy) obviously has no idea what Christianity is about.  Might as well stand on the rooftops and shout your ignorance.  Would have a similar effect.  

I wasn't here to "dump on Christianity".

I was merely pointing out the absurdity of "faith" as a whole, which is the belief in something without actual proof.

It was pointing out the silliness that if you tell a devout Christian that you can shoot laser beams from your eyes, he will want proof, but yet he believes extraordinary things written in a book by an invisible being with no tangible proof whatsoever.

I am willing to bet I have done more research on Christianity, as well as many other religions, than yourself.

Go read some books by Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins.

They're pretty enlightening.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, ddaryl said:

If this type of religous discrimination is being practiced then it will come out and the price paid wil be heavy. 

You cannot hire people based upon their personal faith... unless that institution is religion based. The NFL is clearly not religion based, therefore it would be career suicide for McDermott/Beane in the NFL and even team suicide to do so.

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/practices/inquiries_religious.cfm

Except contract players like this don't apply to that. But, hey, cool

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

I was merely pointing out the absurdity of "faith" as a whole, which is the belief in something without actual proof.

It was pointing out the silliness that if you tell a devout Christian that you can shoot laser beams from your eyes, he will want proof, but yet he believes extraordinary things written in a book by an invisible being with no tangible proof whatsoever.

I am willing to bet I have done more research on Christianity, as well as many other religions, than yourself.

Rough day ?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think it’s a fair question and interesting topic for discussion. Several of us have questioned the same concept in a different manner, wondering whether it’s possible a team of all Eagle Scouts can win it all, or whether McDermott and Beane are passing over star players who have had some questionable pasts. 

I do not think it is about the past. i feel it is a recognizing Good character and Strong will from the FO. Focus and discipline. Heart and desire to succeed.
Humble.
Traits that may qualify as Good religion? Sure ,But certainly can stand on their own as quantifiable prerequisites for team building.
Horses run faster and stronger when pulling the Cart in the same direction

Edited by 3rdand12

14 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I’m going to say a prayer ?? for you tonight. ??

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Not to get all deep on a football message board, but...

Faith, in general, is absolutely a virtue worth having in my opinion. 

I see faith as an expression of hope for something better. 

People act in faith all the time, when there is no guarantee or certainty.

Like for example - Having a child. You don't know how that child's life will turn out, but you have that child anyway because you believe things will be ok.

or getting married. You have no idea if it will work out. You don't know if your marriage will last a lifetime, but you take a leap of faith. 

So much of what we hold precious relies on faith in other people. 

How miserable would life be, if when things were going bad you had no faith that it would get better? 

How many pro athletes would there even be if they didn't have faith in themselves that they could reach their goal? How many times in their life do you think they were told "give up and get a real job!"? I'm sure the same could be said about a lot of people who reached their ultimate goals in life, or realized their dreams. 

Anyway... lol. 

All those things listed, you could argue and I will, are pushed on people through societal pressure. 'so, when are you going to propose?' 'are you thinking of having  children?' 'are you going to have more than one child?' etc etc etc.

Also, a lot of those pressures have been codified through organized religions across time and culture since before people drew pictures on the walls of a cave.

Societal pressures can be good, don't get me wrong, but they lead to mob think. To me, faith isn't about rote recitation and following in the steps of others. It is challenging others, and having the belief that your previous understanding of the world will hold you up at the moment you think you've fallen...think Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Basically, forced faith = bad news because it strips an individual of flexibility of thought when inevitably something goes off script.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/11/24/inside-the-bills-team-chaplain-len-vanden-bos-blends-faith-and-football/

McDermott hired a full time team Chaplin just after he arrived.  I think is may have been the 1st time in organization history, if I remember correctly.

they have always had an Icon on board

4 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

faith - a belief in a something you can't prove. 

Yeah, there's a virtue worth having. 

giphy.gif

That's why they call it faith.

Yep, the substance of things hoped for, and the evidence of things unseen.

Regardless of any religion, it is the reason why  a team that doesn't warship at the almighty passing game (to the utter consternation and criticism of NFL insiders and talking heads alike) and yet confoundingly gets into the playoffs.

I bet there are few if any "devout Christians" on the team (who would play on Sunday?).

Although they all seem to thank Jesus after a big game...

I mean, like Jesus is really laying his money on the Bills....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I bet there are few if any "devout Christians" on the team (who would play on Sunday?).

Do they have betting in Mexico? Jesus is real big there.

I'm sure he's bet on the Bills a few times.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

God not laying any money, he is more the bookie. He takes action from both sides of every game.  Team wins, God gets all the credit, team loses it is just part of gods plan.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Yeah, just like the Jews and the Babylonians...

yep, who said 

god has no sense of game play ?
keeping it interesting for eons.

Even the dinosaurs found out  Her sense of humor. 

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Yeah, just like the Jews and the Babylonians...

yep, who said 

god has no sense of game play ?
keeping it interesting for eons.

Even the dinosaurs found out  Her sense of humor. 

1 minute ago, Billsflyer12 said:

God not laying any money, he is more the bookie. He takes action from both sides of every game.  Team wins, God gets all the credit, team loses it is just part of gods plan.

No one ever thanks the bookie...or refers to Him as their personal savior.

14 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Also, a lot of those pressures have been codified through organized religions across time and culture since before people drew pictures on the walls of a cave.

Not to quote myself except that my post was already too long, but the Walls of the Cave reference wasn't random (enjoy, it's a pretty cool song):