Doug Farrar: Why Tremaine Edmunds Has Best Chance to Be NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year

This is a great article about Edmunds and his incredibly high ceiling. It has a lot of stills from his college film.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2775334-why-tremaine-edmunds-has-best-chance-to-be-nfls-defensive-rookie-of-the-year.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

What makes Edmunds special is he has every bit the mobility and range of those smaller linebackers in a bigger package. As one NFC regional scout told NFL.com's Lance Zierlein: "Good luck with your player comp on this one. They don't come like him. I don't think there has ever been a linebacker that has had his size and speed. You're better off comping him with a basketball player."

• Like (+1) 1

I think he brings the ultimate versatility for a linebacker.  He can rush the passer, drop into coverage and play the run really well.  I just want him to develop a mean streak and watch him lead this defense.  This team has a great chess piece now in the middle.  Very excited about the next few years. 

I think there is going to be a bit of a learning curve obviously. Compound that with being the signal caller on D and I can anticipate some mental errors.

This is not to say Edmunds doesnt have the physical tools to make up for those mental lapses we will probably see his rookie year, but once hes just reacting and not over thinking it, I think a Patrick Willis comparison is fair.

I was absolutely thrilled when we traded up and made this pick.  This is the stud LB I have been dreaming of the Bills getting for years.  I remember being so disappointed we couldn't land Patrick Willis and I never bought into Paul Posluszny or Preston Brown etc...this guy is gonna be the real deal and a huge piece to the puzzle when the Bills turn this thing around for real.  

• Like (+1) 3

What increases his chances of DROY is his versatility. He's a true 3 down LB, and should start from day one. And with Star clogging up the middle, our LBs should be freed up to make more stops. Also, the Bills were very "bend, don't break" in defense last year. If that continues, it will result on the defense seeing more runs against them, which inflates the number of tackles. 

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat