Rodak on Sirius Opening Drive 5/14

FWIW - just the messenger...

Sirius Opening Drive with Ross Tucker and Bob Papa

- Why was Josh Allen the guy

Arm strength arm talent attracted them.  Granted not all throws are going to be 70 yds, but in practice on Fri saw snap and velocity even on shorter throws.  Size hold up in tougher weather – they said they would have drafted him even if in a dome but large hands and size is another factor that attracted them.  Came up through a smaller school and Wyoming was only school with offer – Beane has said he likes players who don’t have sense of entitlement, that feel they deserve to be starter and deserve to be great, but rather they want to earn it.   Have been players with strong arms before, smaller school prospects that haven’t worked out before – have to wait and see and see if this is a good pick for the Bills.

- Allen playing time plan

Going to be down towards the bottom in terms as immediate expectations.  Beane has said Allen starting as third QB.  Clearly a let’s take it slowly situation.   They brought in McCarron and believe he showed something in Cinn, hope they can turn it into something where he starts for maybe half a season or a whole season.  They don’t want to rule out Peterman either which may sound crazy based on how he played last year, but Sean McD loves Peterman – is very high on him – remains to be seen if justified but would not take him out of equation if he happens to have good TC and preseason.  Right now Allen is far behind and like he did in college is going to have to earn his way up  and prove himself to be starter.  Probably unlikely starts day 1 – see how things unfold during the first half of the season and if we will see Allen in Nov/Dec.

- McD can’t love Peterman too much if they made all the deals to move up to be in position to get Allen

Will say Beane has always been more vocal about saying they need a franchise QB.  Have been joint PCs where McD and Beane are sitting there and Beane talking about how it’s a job for GM to find franchise QB and McD wasn’t at the same level of we need to go out and find a QB – get sense that Beane was much higher on moving up to get QB than McD was

- Any fallout in Buffalo  from tweets

Would say it was a story for a day or two but fans kind of brushed it off as he was in HS and made a mistake – Beane’s attitude as well.  Lorax did come out and say Allen might have to answer to it to  team mates – did think he deserved a second chance but did think some players might have questions about the racial aspects of some of the tweets.  Next week vets and rookies will be together – Allen may address it then but after that it should no longer be an issue

- Bills taken biggest step back of any team – losing Tyrod, OL etc – is it a fair statement

Yes – certainly think they are up there – I’ve had same opinion and taken a lot of flack for it here.  Think take a step back at QB without Tyrod – wrote piece a couple months ago that AJ/Peterman (before Allen) was worst QB duo in NFL.   Add in WR situation, don’t know what getting with Benjamin, Zay offseason issues and issues on field last year, and after that they have nothing.  The entire passing game a question mark.  McCoy 30 with lot of mileage.  Lot of question marks on offense.  Agree they took a step back.  Think they did make the right choice with Tyrod, and trading up to get QB, but was Allen vs Rosen the right choice,  how long will it take for offense to come together and team to get back on track – right now don’t think they’re a playoff team

- OL was a strength now looks like a weakness

Agree.  May be another reason why they wait to put Allen in there in case OL is shaky.  Left tackle is OK with Dawkins – but questions down the line.  Brought in other players – but right now all three middle spots up for grabs.  Right now OL in rough shape

- (Tucker) Could argue they have worst QB, OL, and WR groups in NFL right now – at least in discussion.  Is defense going to be good enough  to overcome

Depends what they get out of Star – questions if believe what PFF says, Murphy -  had an ACL and might be a rusher – didn’t get much out of that position last year between Hughes/Lawson in terms of sacks and would expect Murphy to take over Lawson’s spot (could be surprise cut or trade) – Vontae Davis was hurt last year.  Questions marks with those three guys they brought in to bolster defense – right now probably not good enough to overcome deficiencies in offense,  but have enough pieces in place where they could be better than last year.  At some points last year defense was downright bad

- Should be a fascinating journey this season as far as the Bills are concerned with the QB situation and all of the areas that have to get plugged up – pre Tom Brady retirement

Yeah should be interesting but think we’re probably another year or two away from any changing of the guard in the AFC East.  We’ll have to see how it unfolds in the next couple years

Papa to Tucker – that was a strong statement about QB, WR, OL all among worst situations

Tucker – definitely in discussion for worst for all three position groups.  OL stinks now with Incognito and Wood gone,  though that’s not their fault – for QB making move to young guy, WR been bad for a while

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Beane has said he likes players who don’t have sense of entitlement, that feel they deserve to be starter and deserve to be great, but rather they want to earn it. 

Josh Rosen was probably off their board.

Thanks for posting. I don't know how much I should trust inside info that comes from Rodak, but if true it's pretty interesting that McDermott likes Peterman. He might be more in the conversation for starter than a lot of people think. I don't know what kind of offense we plan on building but I think McCarron/Peterman would run a very different offense from what Allen would run. So we might get a hint as to who the planned starter is depending on the offense we see in training camp and preseason.

• Like (+1) 1

I expect a big improvement on defense and a regression on offense this year. It's not unreasonable, in my opinion, to suggest that the Bills could be a bottom 3 offense in 2018.

My only hope -- and since Beane is a smart dude, I have faith this will happen -- is that the entire NEXT offseason is about fixing the offense. They really built up the defense this year. Added a space eating DT, a rookie DT that should be a long time contributor, an edge rusher, got their "Keuchly", possibly improved the cornerback room and depth all around. So again, with $90 million in cap space and a full complement of draft pics next offseason, I hope expect that they draft and sign a ton of offensive help at OL, WR, and a big one: Finding Shady's true successor(s) since he will be 31 years old.

I won't like, I have a lingering fear that I just can't shake: That McDermott will always field a quality defense year in and year out, but will consistently have below average offenses. At the very least, looking at the WR position over the years in Carolina, and even in Buffalo in the short time Beane/McDermott have been here, does not fill me with confidence.

One more thing: If Daboll and Allen are the real deal, then all bets are off in terms of poor offensive production over the long term.

• Like (+1) 2

I remember how bad the offense was last year, and it's hard to imagine it regressing at all, it could be worse, but not much it was terrible.    If McCarron and Daboll can get anything going, we'll be better.   The Oline is worse, no doubt about that.   That will have the biggest negative effect. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I won't like, I have a lingering fear that I just can't shake: That McDermott will always field a quality defense year in and year out, but will consistently have below average offenses. At the very least, looking at the WR position over the years in Carolina, and even in Buffalo in the short time Beane/McDermott have been here, does not fill me with confidence.

One more thing: If Daboll and Allen are the real deal, then all bets are off in terms of poor offensive production over the long term.

I do think McDermott has that inclination, but I suspect Beane will be proactive to counterbalance it.  I don't think Beane will shortshrift the offense.  As you surmise, next offseason will clarify if this is true or not.  Good point about Daboll and Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

The lack of talent on both the O-line and WR groups make me hesitant to throw out Allen there on opening day. He would have to be heads and shoulders over the other 2 for me to even consider it if I was McDermott. Nothing worse you can do to a rookie to stunt his development that have him try to play with a weak team around him and try to carry the team on his shoulders.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billieve420 said:

The lack of talent on both the O-line and WR groups make me hesitant to throw out Allen there on opening day. He would have to be heads and shoulders over the other 2 for me to even consider it if I was McDermott. Nothing worse you can do to a rookie to stunt his development that have him try to play with a weak team around him and try to carry the team on his shoulders.

Week 5 at the earliest.  If the oline is dreadful, I'd consider a redshirt year.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

I hear ya. One thing that could be possible is to take a page out of what the Colts did back in 1998 with Peyton Manning (and the Steelers to a lesser extent with Big Ben in 2004). That would be to load up the offense with mass-protect blocking schemes, utilizing mostly a base 2-TE offense with heavy reliance on the running game and play-action. This kept Manning mostly upright and clean in the pocket, even though it limited his options. He struggled as a rookie, tossing nearly 30 INTs, but never lost his confidence or composure.

52 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Papa to Tucker – that was a strong statement about QB, WR, OL all among worst situations

Tucker – definitely in discussion for worst for all three position groups.  OL stinks now with Incognito and Wood gone,  though that’s not their fault – for QB making move to young guy, WR been bad for a while

Sometime before the 2016 season Bill Polian called the Offensive Line here old and slow, he was absolutely hammered for it.   Two years later, Glenn is gone because of injury and rumors he got lazy after his contract.  Wood is gone because of injury, Incognito is gone because "his body couldnt take it anymore, Miller cant win a starting job and I doubt anyone here is going to go to bat and say very much positive about Mills.

Obviously the Wood injury is a freak type of thing, but I don't think Polian's assessment was that far off back then.   

53 minutes ago, Logic said:

I expect a big improvement on defense and a regression on offense this year. It's not unreasonable, in my opinion, to suggest that the Bills could be a bottom 3 offense in 2018.

My only hope -- and since Beane is a smart dude, I have faith this will happen -- is that the entire NEXT offseason is about fixing the offense. They really built up the defense this year. Added a space eating DT, a rookie DT that should be a long time contributor, an edge rusher, got their "Keuchly", possibly improved the cornerback room and depth all around. So again, with $90 million in cap space and a full complement of draft pics next offseason, I hope expect that they draft and sign a ton of offensive help at OL, WR, and a big one: Finding Shady's true successor(s) since he will be 31 years old.

Regression on O?  How much worse could we get? 22nd in points and 29th in yards...  3 points in our first playoff game in like 20 years.  Hopefully Daboll can come up with something better than run-run-pass-punt.

8 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Regression on O?  How much worse could we get? 22nd in points and 29th in yards...  3 points in our first playoff game in like 20 years.  Hopefully Daboll can come up with something better than run-run-pass-punt.

Plenty of room to go down from 22nd. 

i love ross tucker and listen to the show on the regular, but he can be waaaay off sometimes.  i specifically remember him saying again and again how terrible the cowboys were going to be a couple of years ago, (as in they could be the worst in the nft with 3 wins) and i think they ended up winning 13 games.  this thing will take time.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Bills offense was basically be some what aggressive to start the game, get a lead and then go ultra conservative and sit on the lead while hoping the defense can hold. 

An ultra boring game plan but hey, It worked enough to get a back door position in the playoffs.... can't see that working again. I think you'll see turnovers increase some what significantly on offense with Tyrod gone. 

Im not ready to concede a down year just yet.

We still have Shady....and in my opinion are platooning him with a back that can keep him fresh.....our passing game was no great shakes last year so we might actually go up in passing production to include TD's (and yes I forsee more interceptions)

but

Our Defense may end up being something special....they put a lot of work into that this off season....I think Tent Murphy is a absolute stud...we might have the rookie defensive player of the year in Edmunds....our secondary is rock solid....and with upgraded beef in the middle Hughes might feast in this defense.

It could be a Denver situation

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Im not ready to concede a down year just yet.

We still have Shady....and in my opinion are platooning him with a back that can keep him fresh.....our passing game was no great shakes last year so we might actually go up in passing production to include TD's (and yes I forsee more interceptions)

but

Our Defense may end up being something special....they put a lot of work into that this off season....I think Tent Murphy is a absolute stud...we might have the rookie defensive player of the year in Edmunds....our secondary is rock solid....and with upgraded beef in the middle Hughes might feast in this defense.

It could be a Denver situation

I heard all the stupid rhetoric last year about how bad this team is and they still made the playoffs.

McDermott and Beane are molding this team into their image and this regime is NOTHING like previous regimes here.

The negative rhetoric has EVERYTHING to do with the failures of previous regimes. I will give these guys the benefit of the doubt.

Everybody talks about how bad the WR position is, but it is entirely possible that Benjamin stays healthy and Jones improves in his second season. People forget about that.

Just now, njbuff said:

I heard all the stupid rhetoric last year about how bad this team is and they still made the playoffs.

McDermott and Beane are molding this team into their image and this regime is NOTHING like previous regimes here.

The negative rhetoric has EVERYTHING to do with the failures of previous regimes. I will give these guys the benefit of the doubt.

Everybody talks about how bad the WR position is, but it is entirely possible that Benjamin stays healthy and Jones improves in his second season. People forget about that.

Disagree. I think most skeptics are basing this on:

OL - 2-3 lost starters. Marginal at best replacements.

WR - Awful group and possibly worse with some departures.

QB - Completely unknown. None of them have been a starter in the league, none have seen much playing time at all. Combine that with a new OC and this OL and WR crew its tough. 

• Like (+1) 2