Camp Arm or Not

It is fairly typical for teams to go into training camp with 4 QBs on their roster.  Training camps involve so much throwing that three QBs only has sometimes resulted in one or more developing a form of fatigue in their throwing arm, putting them at risk of injury.  That was not done the year EJ Manuel was drafted, and the reason given was that the young QBs, particularly Manuel needed all the reps he could get.  

Fast forward to the 2018 version of the Bills.  The Bills just went through their rookie mini-camp with two youngsters at the QB position:  top draft pick Josh Allen and camp tryout Zapoticky from Shippensberg State.  At this point, the Bills have 3 QBs on their roster - Allen, Nathan Peterman and AJ McCarron.  To this point, they signed only one of their tryout players, a fullback named Zack Olstad, from mighty Winona State.  They have not signed Zapoticky.  What do you think they will do?  What do you think they should do and why?  Look for a fourth QB or go with 3?

25 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

It is fairly typical for teams to go into training camp with 4 QBs on their roster.  Training camps involve so much throwing that three QBs only has sometimes resulted in one or more developing a form of fatigue in their throwing arm, putting them at risk of injury.  That was not done the year EJ Manuel was drafted, and the reason given was that the young QBs, particularly Manuel needed all the reps he could get.  

Fast forward to the 2018 version of the Bills.  The Bills just went through their rookie mini-camp with two youngsters at the QB position:  top draft pick Josh Allen and camp tryout Zapoticky from Shippensberg State.  At this point, the Bills have 3 QBs on their roster - Allen, Nathan Peterman and AJ McCarron.  To this point, they signed only one of their tryout players, a fullback named Zack Olstad, from mighty Winona State.  They have not signed Zapoticky.  What do you think they will do?  What do you think they should do and why?  Look for a fourth QB or go with 3?

It seemed like there were a couple other QB the Bills were said to bring in for tryouts - one from the CFL I think, and one from a Southern school?

Perhaps those guys went elsewhere, but the Bills weren't wowed by Zapoticky and will want to bring in a couple other guys, or wait to see if the QBs they were interested in free up again.

28 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Out of curiosity, are you implying that you think overuse in Training camp somehow impacted EJ's development? and if so, do you fear that the same thing would happen to Allen if we go into camp with 3 QB's this year?

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Out of curiosity, are you implying that you think overuse in Training camp somehow impacted EJ's development? and if so, do you fear that the same thing would happen to Allen if we go into camp with 3 QB's this year?

Nothing could wear out EJ Manual, who put the soft into soft toss passing game.

I never knew a guy who had such a cannon throw so soft. He said after he was benched when/if he ever got the chance again he would "let it rip". Go down swinging(paraphrasing). He was reinserted as starter a couple times and, nope, never did as he promised.

Edited by cba fan

16 minutes ago, jr1 said:

Logan Thomas :)

When Logan Thomas threw 60 mph it was the highest registered ball speed in at least 7 years at the combine.     Allen threw 62 mph and had a 66 mph throw at senior bowl.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When Logan Thomas threw 60 mph it was the highest registered ball speed in at least 7 years at the combine.     Allen threw 62 mph and had a 66 mph throw at senior bowl.   

You know what's also useful? Having videos of football players throwing a ball into a garbage pail from the roof of a building or hitting someone on water skis.

I think throwing a football 62 MPH and those kind of skills are almost ALMOST equal. 
Can we put on pads yet?

3 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Judging by the amount of work Zapoticky got in rookie OTA's he's probably our starter.

49 minutes ago, Greatdane21 said:

They need someone to throw to the wolves the last exhibition game. 

• Haha (+1) 3

People don't know this but camp arms don't get any "Reps" at all to speak of. The saddest  I ever saw was one guy who would go through 2 1/2 hours of camp in grueling heat each day to get his ONE rep.

A rep is when they have 7 or 11 guys on each side simulating a play. It is what we think of as practice.

Camp arms throw in drills. So you have however many receivers, tight ends, running backs drilling on some aspect of pass catching in their groups. It is camp arm QBs who do that work.

the 4th QB doesn't have any chance at all to learn and improve in simulated playing conditions.

Then they get stuck in the 4th preseason game and we all say how much they suck :)

Sometimes the 3rd QB also has no chance. But for sure the 4th guy never has any chance at all to make the teams. He is basically a ball throwing machine for drills.

To give you an idea, Reps might look like this for a camp day:

Starter - 50 

Backup - 20

3rd - 7

4th -1or 2

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I did not mean to imply that.  I have no way of knowing.

Also, replying to Skins Malone's post, I don't know that there is proof of anything with respect to arm fatigue.  I know there have been some cases where it has happened, and presumably it could also happen with four QBs.  It would not surprise me to learn that some individuals are more prone to develop it than others.  It is also quite possible that with all the restrictions to practice under the current CBA, that the likelihood of arm fatigue has been reduced.   I'm not intending to imply poor judgment on anyone's part.  It just struck me as curious that the Bills don't have a fourth QB yet, and wondered what others thought about that.

Just now, BadLandsMeanie said:

People don't know this but camp arms don't get any "Reps" at all to speak of. The saddest  I ever saw was one guy who would go through 2 1/2 hours of camp in grueling heat each day to get his ONE rep.

A rep is when they have 7 or 11 guys on each side simulating a play. It s what we think of as practice.

Camp arms throw in drills. So you have however many receivers, tight ends, running backs drilling on some aspect of pass catching in their groups. It is camp arm QBs who do that work.

the 4th QB doesn't have any chance at all to learn and improve in simulated playing conditions.

Then they get stuck in the 4th preseason game and we all say how much they suck :)

Sometimes the 3rd QB also has no chance. But for sure the 4th guy never has any chance at all to make the teams. He is basically a ball throwing machine for drills.

To give you an idea, Reps might look like this for a camp day:

Starter - 50 

Backup - 20

3rd - 7

4th -1or 2

I think our #4 got in a few years ago in a preseason game, 10 seconds to go in the 4th quarter, he hiked the ball and took a knee.   That was the extent of his action 

• Like (+1) 1