Camp Arm or Not

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

I did not mean to imply that.  I have no way of knowing.

Also, replying to Skins Malone's post, I don't know that there is proof of anything with respect to arm fatigue.  I know there have been some cases where it has happened, and presumably it could also happen with four QBs.  It would not surprise me to learn that some individuals are more prone to develop it than others.  It is also quite possible that with all the restrictions to practice under the current CBA, that the likelihood of arm fatigue has been reduced.   I'm not intending to imply poor judgment on anyone's part.  It just struck me as curious that the Bills don't have a fourth QB yet, and wondered what others thought about that.

When Ej was here they probably used trainers or a player at a different position who could throw (like a former High School Quarterback) to do the drill work that the 4th QB would do.

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

People don't know this but camp arms don't get any "Reps" at all to speak of. The saddest  ever saw was one guy who would go through 2 1/2 hours of camp in grueling heat each day to get his ONE rep.

A rep is when they have 7 or 11 guys on each side simulating a play. It s what we think of as practice.

Camp arms throw in drills. So you have however many receivers, tight ends, running backs drilling on some aspect of pass catching in their groups. It is camp arm QBs who do that work.

the 4th QB doesn't have any chance at all to learn and improve in simulated playing conditions.

Then they get stuck in the 4th preseason game and we all say how much they suck :)

Sometimes the 3rd QB also has no chance. But for sure the 4th guy never has any chance at all to make the teams. He is basically a ball throwing machine for drills.

To give you an idea, Reps might look like this for a camp day:

Starter - 50 

Backup - 20

3rd - 7

4th -1or 2

Thanks, Badlands.  That is very enlightening.  It also makes a lot of sense.  It has probably been those endless drills that have created the risk for fatigue in the past.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TigerJ said:

Thanks, Badlands.  That is very enlightening.  It also makes a lot of sense.  It has probably been those endless drills that have created the risk for fatigue in the past.

When you've got 12 WRs in camp, and 5-7 TEs, I can see how QBs arms would get worn out throwing in those drills.   

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

When Ej was here they probably used trainers or a player at a different position who could throw (like a former High School Quarterback) to do the drill work that the 4th QB would do.

So Logan Thomas could be a viable solution for that role, not that he would want to cut into his practice time at tight end so he could throw to the other tight ends (and receivers.

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

I think our #4 got in a few years ago in a preseason game, 10 seconds to go in the 4th quarter, he hiked the ball and took a knee.   That was the extent of his action 

That's really sad and it sounds about right.

What has always bugged me is all the guys that the team doesn't really want, the camp body ones, basically just stand around watching while the good players do reps. 

Then the teams say they haven't got the reps. 

Well they could be having the scrubs do their own. But the only coach I ever saw do that was Marrone. Marrone's practices people didn't just stand around hardly ever.

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

When you've got 12 WRs in camp, and 5-7 TEs, I can see how QBs arms would get worn out throwing in those drills.   

Yep and don't forget the defensive backs also practice picking off the ball and stuff.

Just now, BadLandsMeanie said:

That's really sad and it sounds about right.

What has always bugged me is all the guys that the team doesn't really want, the camp body ones, basically just stand around watching while the good players do reps. 

Then the teams say they haven't got the reps. 

Well they could be having the scrubs do their own. But the only coach I ever saw do that was Marrone. Marrone's practices people didn't just stand around hardly ever.

Was it him or was it Philbin in Miami that had two offenses on the field at once and he'd stand at the 50, one side ran a play, then the other side ran the same play.   He could run twice as much in the same amount of time.   Seemed like genius really.   I actually pulled that over to my son's youth football team when I was OC/HC and it was very effective in getting kids reps .

7 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

So Logan Thomas could be a viable solution for that role, not that he would want to cut into his practice time at tight end so he could throw to the other tight ends (and receivers.

Yep.

Usually it is a special teamer that actually likes doing it because it is way less boring to be doing that than standing around. 

4 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Was it him or was it Philbin in Miami that had two offenses on the field at once and he'd stand at the 50, one side ran a play, then the other side ran the same play.   He could run twice as much in the same amount of time.   Seemed like genius really.   I actually pulled that over to my son's youth football team when I was OC/HC and it was very effective in getting kids reps .

Yep. That was Marrone.

Over the years it was, everybody stands around year after year, then Marrone everybody busy all the time, then Rex back to where everybody stood around (Usually they stand in places along the sideline where it makes it so  I can not see! Which made it extra annoying.) And McD is a little more lively but not that much. Pretty much the standing around. 

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

You know what's also useful? Having videos of football players throwing a ball into a garbage pail from the roof of a building or hitting someone on water skis.

I think throwing a football 62 MPH and those kind of skills are almost ALMOST equal. 
Can we put on pads yet?

Yeah just interesting that they might have the best two hardest throwers in the league.    Mahomes has a gun too but he tested a bit below those dudes at the combine.

At this point Logan Thomas has to be wondering why he switched to TE..........it hasn't worked out so far.     If he turns into a solid TE this year he can hope to earn backup QB money.     Half the teams in the league no longer carrying a 3rd QB cost him a LONG life of luxury holding a clipboard in a sweatsuit on the sideline.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

This has already been declared “The Zapo” era. His signing is a mere formality at this point in time.

I couldn’t disagree more.

The Legend of Peterman has a year under his belt now and is ready to seize the starting job for good!!!!!

Too bad we wasted all that draft capital on Allen?

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Haha (+1) 1