I miss Rex.

I liked Doug Marrone way more then Rex Ryan. I never saw the point in bringing in a washed up Jets coach to save the Bills. I remember now, the move was to bring in a big name to sell tickets and it worked. 

Rex went on to being on TV and Doug Marrone went on to be a head coach of the Jaguars and bring them to the Playoffs. Doug is football and Rex Ryan is entertainment. 

I love the situation we are in now, but if I had to choose between Doug and Rex my choice will always be Doug no question. 

I don't miss Rex Ryan at all. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Lfod said:

Rex went on to being on TV and Doug Marrone went on to be a head coach of the Jaguars and bring them to the Playoffs. Doug was football and Rex Ryan is entertainment. 

Yeah, I fully expect to see him on some third rate cable network with a reality tv show about his wife's tattoos, and what decal to wrap the truck in this week.  Next week:  "Hey, send bail money!  Rob and I got into a bar fight!"

I still give credit to Rex Ryan for bringing in Tyrod. That would be my unpopular opinion. As much as I was glad to see Tyrod go, I still think it was a good move to bring him in. 

Tyrod wasn't that far off from being a decent starting QB and the next staff utilized him to saftey dance into the playoffs and got a 3rd rounder for him. I have to think that was a win for Rex Ryan. 

McDermott did would Rex couldn't even after trading away players and never made the bold playoff statement. So I would still say McDermott and Marrone are both more legit HCs. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

Speaking of coaches.

I was at camp a few years ago, Chan Gailey was coach. Practice ended, I was standing at the south end of the practice field, watching a few players go through some extra drills. Gailey and a security guard came walking my way. It was just me, a couple other people, and a little kid....no one else. The little kid went up to Gailey, and asked for his autograph. Gailey refused, said he was busy & had to give a talk in one of the VIP tents, or something. Gailey was 2 feet from the kid, practically nobody else around. What a dixk. I should have said something, but didn't. I'm glad Gaileys gone.

Edited by reginald

54 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

For the clown show he became with brother Rob, being a mic whore and coaching an underachieving team, he kept us informed DAILY of what was going on with the team. Every day from the Draft through the season, I could link up here or on B.B.com and get my daily fill of the Bills. I also appreciated that he opened every presser with injury updates. 

Of course he had to go. The schtick wore out quickly and the on field performance was sub par. But he kept us informed. For all the bragging McDermott loves to do about his pro experience, he still hasn’t realized Rule #1, it’s prime time entertainment. On the rare occasion he is in front of the mic, he’s says nothing of value, leaving fans ever-wondering WTH is going on with the team and current injury status. 

Rex brought something the team hadn’t seen before or since. An informed fandom.

I also liked his truck..

onward with ‘the Process’..

giphy.gif

Edited by Ramza86
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

For the clown show he became with brother Rob, being a mic whore and coaching an underachieving team, he kept us informed DAILY of what was going on with the team. Every day from the Draft through the season, I could link up here or on B.B.com and get my daily fill of the Bills. I also appreciated that he opened every presser with injury updates. 

Of course he had to go. The schtick wore out quickly and the on field performance was sub par. But he kept us informed. For all the bragging McDermott loves to do about his pro experience, he still hasn’t realized Rule #1, it’s prime time entertainment. On the rare occasion he is in front of the mic, he’s says nothing of value, leaving fans ever-wondering WTH is going on with the team and current injury status. 

I also liked his truck..

I hated the Rex hire, hated him as a coach..... but I 100% agree - his pressers were fun.  Beane is quite interesting to listen to... he gives away little morsels of information.  McDermott gives you nothing.  I watch every week and each week it is 20 minutes of my life I never get back.  

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Please please please tell me you're trolling here.

side note question: I wasn't on this board during the Rex era... Was there the normal debate on this board where half the people like him and the other half don't? Like Tyrod/Whaley? or did everybody just hate Rex's guts as much as I did?

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

I also liked his truck..

I guess we all have to choose our priorities. 

Which would you prefer, Boring Bill*** at the mic and a perennial contender, or Rollicking Rex's mic magic leading a clown show?  If McDermott feels he needs to focus on football over presser entertainment, I'm all for giving it a try.