SCOTUS Rules Federal Ban on Sports Betting Unconstitutional

1 hour ago, Infinitum said:

Over 80% of my county property taxes goes towards medicaid, for ppl in NYC.  So no, you're wrong.

Choose to believe this or not. As a whole WNY gets more than it pays though NYC gets a little more in some categories like Medicaid. But not 80%.

http://www.politifact.com/new-york/statements/2016/oct/14/chris-jacobs/state-spends-more-western-new-york-it-receives-tax/

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

NYS assembly and Guv are licking their chops right now.....Mmmmmmm tax revenue.

Well if the State has any part in it, they will screw it up so that it costs more to administer than they take in, just like OTB.

It will be more like pocket-lining revenue.

2 hours ago, Infinitum said:

Over 80% of my county property taxes goes towards medicaid, for ppl in NYC.  So no, you're wrong.

You know, this might be a bigger deal if NYC was part of, lets say, Pennsylvania.

Huge implications...get ready for prop bet city...people with apps out betting on who the next person to score is during game, etc...

This is going to open up a whole new level of craziness and I'm sure new york state will be at the front of line to get this up and running.

5 hours ago, dpberr said:

I still find it ironic politicians will lose their minds over legalizing prostitution but are a-ok with legalizing all sorts of things related to alcohol, weed, firearms, gambling, etc.  

That is because politicians are most laywers (not a typo) and want the exclusive right to screw us!

4 hours ago, Gigs said:

You can thank NJ and his arch-nemesis Chris Christie for getting SCOTUS, not POTUS, to rule PASPA as unconstitutional. In fact, Trump strongly opposed striking it down, probably because he holds grudges like a school girl.

Hows your 401k?

10 minutes ago, Stenbar said:

Hows your 401k?

Let's not use stock market performance as a measure of Presidential competence. History tends to not jive well with the point I think you're trying to make.

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

how big a market is out there that never thought to gamble before?

i'm assuming everyone who wanted to was able to find a way.

Id like to make the occasional wager but I'm not interested in getting involved with a bookie. I live 10 minutes from Delaware and have bet there occasionally but I don't like the forced parlay system they have. If PA gets this up and running in a reasonably accessible manner I'll drop a couple bucks. 

5 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Can states that institute their own form of gambling block the offshore stuff? I hope they offer something as convenient if they do.

I thought the offshore was already illegal for Americans.

8 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

Good luck with that.

They will blow all the tax revenue in NYC on useless BS.

Just like CA, we should be trying to separate the state. Us rural folks literally and figuratively "pay the price" for the big city on the coast. 

Its a big ol country with lots lots of rural states without a city on the coast... if you think it’s a pressing issue 

Just now, joesixpack said:

For the record I’m for this decision. I’m not a gambler myself but the federal government should have as little say in any citizen’s life as possible.

Im not into most of the sins (gambling, drugs, prostitution etc...) but it’s not my place to govern someone else’s morality. As long as you don’t actively hurt me or mine - go have fun. I’m not even huge on the “tax the hell out of it” angle. If the practice ofsaid sincreates costs to society, just try to balance those line items with a fair tax. 

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Legal pot, legal betting, all that's left are legal hookers. Woohoo!

I'm going to have to differ with you there. The simple reason is rural areas don't generate tax revenue like urban areas do. In fact I'd be willing to bet the opposite is true.

People in Buffalo like to think that they are supporting New York City with taxes. The fact is NYC carries the rest of the state.

Right on. NY State without NYC would have economic indicators in line with states like West Virginia and Mississippi. The “separatists”  would be sorry if they got what they wish for. 

22 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

The law of diminishing returns. There are only so many suckers willing to throw their money out the window. ...

Yet another crack in the hull of this sinking boat of contemporary society....

I don’t see how this has much to do with contemporary society imo. Gambling has been popular since early civilization. It’s simply the wise choice to reap the tax benefits, as opposed to pretending that it doesn’t exist. Our society often likes to pretend that these sort of things don’t exist. That’s a bigger than anything imo. Fwiw, this is coming for someone with little to no interest in gambling. 

24 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Gamble until you turn blue, I really don't care. It is however, a slippery slope that more often leads to ruin, instead of riches.. Smart people don't throw their money down the drain like this... The cost to society is much greater than any alleged tax benefit, via destroyed lives,and families.

I hear you, it’s certainly a very slippery slope. I’m not a fan of the idea of gambling much myself, but there are many ways to destroy ones life. Alcohol and cigarettes rank high on that list, but I don’t see anyone advocating the abolition of either. Gambling will occur regardless of the legality, we might as well collect the tax benefits. You can legislate all you want, but you can’t prevent people from flushing their life down the drain. I guarantee that more families will be torn apart by infidelity than gambling. When do we attach jail time to marital infidelity?