Azucho98

RIP Chuck Knox

He had a very unique sense of humor. 

He told my cousin he killed Santa when we were kids. We have laughed about that a lot as grownups. 

RIP Coach. 

Ah, Ground Chuck.  That was his nickname for the conservative run based offense he preferred.  He must have lived to a ripe old age considering he was the Bills head coach back in the 80s.

Posted (edited)
On May 13, 2018 at 1:51 PM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

ebddb7de6cf7a72d515f3826119c72e9.jpg

rest in peace sir.

one of the few bills head coaches to hold a tenure for more then 3 years and in his 5 year span led the bills to two winning ('80-'81) seasons (10-6, 11-5*) and the post season.

*division title 1980

Finished with a winning record.  37-36.

heartbraking to me as a youngling seeing them get to 4-2 in the '82 strike shortened year, wherein 5-4 virtually guaranteed you a playoff spot in the only 8 team per conference playoff year in league history...and they lost their last three games and finished 4-5.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

2 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Ah, Ground Chuck.  That was his nickname for the conservative run based offense he preferred.  He must have lived to a ripe old age considering he was the Bills head coach back in the 80s.

Look at the QB's the poor guy had...I'd run it too.

He put some structure and balls back into the team. RIP Coach. 

• Like 2

I remember when he quit I was so P.O.ed that Ralph basically ran him out of town by his cheapness. I told others I was done with the Bills and was going to send Ralph a letter telling him he lost me as a lifelong Bills fan by being so cheap. Of course, I didn't follow through with the letter and I never stopped following the Bills even though they were pretty horrible again after Chuck left.

He was a very good coach who changed the culture of the Bills. I read his book many years ago and I remember him saying that the scouting staff and front office looked nothing like a professional organization when he arrived. His first order of business was to get a real scouting staff.  

5 hours ago, vorpma said:

In his biography Knox, Knox openly states Ralph did not care if he put a winning team on the field. Good post!

The Juice said similar.

• Like 2

Quite possibly the best Bills coach ever?  I know his teams never got over the hump but not for lack of effort.  Can be argued he got more from his teams then Levy.

At any rate R.IP

I grew up in western Canada watching the Seahawks with Chuck as HC. Those were great teams

The Bills have been in existence 58 years. I have been a fan most of them, since a little kid in '64. There have been IMO only two years in those 58 where the Bills were the best team in the league. 1991 and 1980. 

One could argue 64 and 65 they were the best team in the AFL. But that’s not the NFL. 

In our four Super Bowl appearances we were only the best team the first year. The second year the Redskins started 11-0 or something like that. They were a better team during the year. Both years we played the Cowboys they were the better team overall and during the season. 

We could have won any of those four years but only the first were we the best team. 

The 1980 Chuck Knox team we were the best team in the league. IIRC, in the regular season we beat both teams in the previous Super Bowl and both teams in that years Super Bowl. 

Chuck Knox was arguably the best coach the Bills ever had, including Marv. We lost him in the strike year 1984 when Ralph wouldn’t pay him enough. 

• Like 4

I can recall being infuriated by 'ground chuck'.  I really think he was one of our best coaches of all time - and when you think about it we've had some great ones.  Lou Saban, Marv Levy, Chuck Knox (not in that order).  I think if Wade had been able to stick around a bit longer - he'd be up there too.

I remember how excited I was when he became coach of the Bills.  He built some pretty good teams. I met him a few times and he was a football coach through and through.

RIP Chuck.  

I was at the Chuck Knox Ring of Honor ceremony in Seattle in 2005. I wonder if there are any other coaches on multiple ring of honors?

9 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

ebddb7de6cf7a72d515f3826119c72e9.jpg

rest in peace sir.

one of the few bills head coaches to hold a tenure for more then 3 years and in his 5 year span led the bills to two winning ('80-'81) seasons (10-6, 11-5*) and the post season.

*division title 1980

Amen.

A great head coach who got it done in Buffalo mostly all by himself.  The teams GM and team president were useless at that time. Knox not only turned around the team he also rejuvenated the entire city during his time in Buffalo.

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The Bills have been in existence 58 years. I have been a fan most of them, since a little kid in '64. There have been IMO only two years in those 58 where the Bills were the best team in the league. 1991 and 1980. 

One could argue 64 and 65 they were the best team in the AFL. But that’s not the NFL. 

In our four Super Bowl appearances we were only the best team the first year. The second year the Redskins started 11-0 or something like that. They were a better team during the year. Both years we played the Cowboys they were the better team overall and during the season. 

We could have won any of those four years but only the first were we the best team. 

The 1980 Chuck Knox team we were the best team in the league. IIRC, in the regular season we beat both teams in the previous Super Bowl and both teams in that years Super Bowl. 

Chuck Knox was arguably the best coach the Bills ever had, including Marv. We lost him in the strike year 1984 when Ralph wouldn’t pay him enough. 

1999 team had the most talented defense in team history and the easiest path to a SB win.     They had no business being on the road wildcard weekend but Flutie was horrifically bad in stunning home losses to non-playoff teams NYG and Raiders.   Had they gotten out of Tennessee they would have been in the SB and that Rams team nearly got shut out at home in the NFC championship by a lesser Bucs defense/team that was lead by Shaun King at QB.     The competition in 1980 and 1991 was tougher.  

16 hours ago, vorpma said:

In his biography Knox, Knox openly states Ralph did not care if he put a winning team on the field. Good post!

I'm very surprised this didn't get referenced more often

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1999 team had the most talented defense in team history and the easiest path to a SB win.     They had no business being on the road wildcard weekend but Flutie was horrifically bad in stunning home losses to non-playoff teams NYG and Raiders.   Had they gotten out of Tennessee they would have been in the SB and that Rams team nearly got shut out at home in the NFC championship by a lesser Bucs defense/team that was lead by Shaun King at QB.     The competition in 1980 and 1991 was tougher.  

I would look at the 1988 defense  - flooded with 6 1st rd picks...players picked in top 10 of first round  (4 in front 7) and then add 2 more in backfield

Fred Smerlas Art Still and Big Bruce

Bennet & Conlon & talley & xxx

Nate Odomes, Derrick Burroughs

Leonard Smith & Kazoo

team was handcuffed because Marv and Ringo still didnt believe enough in kelly - even though was his 3rd year in NFL

Chuck was a great coach.  In 1978 he started to straighten out a wayward ship that fell of course in 1967.  

The 1980 team was a healthy Joe from the SB.  Lots of great veterans on that team. I was upset to see him leave and understand why.  

In fifty eight years years we have had 3 great head coaches and one or two competent ones.  Chuck is in the top 3, no question.  

• Like 1

69 replies before mine on a coach who was highly regarded by most fans in Buffalo during his tenure here.  I would have thought that there would have been more people here who are old enough to remember Knox coaching the Bills to make comment on his passing.  At that point in time I really was not following football but am glad Knox left his mark on a generally considered high point in the history of the franchise.  RIP and God bless, Chuck.

RIP Coach. You were one of the best.

Knox also brought along Norm Pollum - improving the scouting system and resulted in a great 1979 draft (in spite of losing top pick due to ralph penny pinchers) - followed by a 1980 draft getting probowlers  jim richter and joe cribbs

"🎵Mike-Mayer kickin'...on a Chuck Knox Super Bowl team...🎵

Ah, WNY Christmas songs of the early 1980s...