RIP Chuck Knox

1 hour ago, horned dogs said:

Excellent coach, I thought his 80-81 teams were terrific teams. They beat some of the better teams in the league, but were hamstrung by injuries at the wrong times. They could have gone much further with a little better luck.

He fought a five year battle with the front office trying to get raises for his key players, that hampered efforts as well as injuries. Never forget the 1980 Rams win and the curtain call, his biography also depicts how his wife and Coach Knox displayed emotion after the win. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ah, Ground Chuck.  That was his nickname for the conservative run based offense he preferred.  He must have lived to a ripe old age considering he was the Bills head coach back in the 80s.

On May 13, 2018 at 1:51 PM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

ebddb7de6cf7a72d515f3826119c72e9.jpg

rest in peace sir.

one of the few bills head coaches to hold a tenure for more then 3 years and in his 5 year span led the bills to two winning ('80-'81) seasons (10-6, 11-5*) and the post season.

*division title 1980

Finished with a winning record.  37-36.

heartbraking to me as a youngling seeing them get to 4-2 in the '82 strike shortened year, wherein 5-4 virtually guaranteed you a playoff spot in the only 8 team per conference playoff year in league history...and they lost their last three games and finished 4-5.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

2 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Ah, Ground Chuck.  That was his nickname for the conservative run based offense he preferred.  He must have lived to a ripe old age considering he was the Bills head coach back in the 80s.

Look at the QB's the poor guy had...I'd run it too.

I remember when he quit I was so P.O.ed that Ralph basically ran him out of town by his cheapness. I told others I was done with the Bills and was going to send Ralph a letter telling him he lost me as a lifelong Bills fan by being so cheap. Of course, I didn't follow through with the letter and I never stopped following the Bills even though they were pretty horrible again after Chuck left.

He was a very good coach who changed the culture of the Bills. I read his book many years ago and I remember him saying that the scouting staff and front office looked nothing like a professional organization when he arrived. His first order of business was to get a real scouting staff.