RIP Chuck Knox

Good man, brutally dry wit.

1979, the Bills drafted in order - Jerry Butler, Fred Smerlas and Jim Haslett. 

Three important franchise players in a row. Might be the best three player stretch in the history of the franchise.

1980 Divisional loss to SD was a tougher game to lose than the Titans game ... Ferguson throws 3 INTs against a HOF studded team and lost 20-14 ... we had already trounced the Raiders earlier in the year. 

That was our year, 1980. RIP Chuck.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Tyrod's friend said:

Three important franchise players in a row. Might be the best three player stretch in the history of the franchise.

1980 Divisional loss to SD was a tougher game to lose than the Titans game ... Ferguson throws 3 INTs against a HOF studded team and lost 20-14 ... we had already trounced the Raiders earlier in the year. 

Ron Smith :sick:

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Ron Smith :sick:

Joiner, Jefferson, Winslow.

We get beat by f'n Ron Smith. The last 30 minutes of that game was like some kind of EA Poe/sword of damacles cliffhanger. We were getting outpunched every single play, just waiting for it all to end.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Was that the playoff year (1980) that Fergy played on a badly sprained ankle?

• Like (+1) 1

Brought the Bills out of some tough times in the 70’s. That 1980 season still goes down as one of my all time favorites.

Thank you Coack Knox and may you rest in peace.

38 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Joe Ferguson....on an ankle he could barely stand on.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Was that the playoff year (1980) that Fergy played on a badly sprained ankle?

100% correct. 

It was like the better poker player getting slowly suffocated without enough capital to take down the other guy. 

11 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Bill Simpson the closest player????

that was my recollection. 

If Ferguson isn't injured, we'd have made the Super Bowl. No doubt in my mind. To have held Fouts to 20 points that day was a freaking miracle. 

John Hadl (at the end of his fine career)

James Harris

Ron Jaworski (for a bit)

Pat Haden

Joe Namath (see John Hadl, raise to the power of 2)

Joe Ferguson

Jim Zorn

Dave Krieg

Kelly Stouffer

Jeff Kemp

Jim Everett

TJ Rubley

Chris Chandler/Chris Miller (still not convinced these were 2 different people)

That's the list of QBs-everyone that started more than a couple games-that Chuck Know rode to a career 186-147 record.  Some had their moments, like Harris for about a year and a half with the Rams. For a while I thought Dave Krieg was good; now I think he was o.k., and Ground Chuck made him look pretty good. The rest are pretty much varying degrees of awful. Of course, he did have Lawrence McCutcheon and Joe Cribbs and Curt Warner, but again, those guys may owe Chuck a lot too. Ever since his time you hear what is now an old saw: "the first step of having a successful running game is committing to the run." And boy did he commit to it, and boy did he have success doing it. Just three or four seasons here and there with an actual good QB amongst that 23 year head coaching run (Rams-Bills-Seahawks-Rams v. 2) and I think we might very well be talking about "the passing of Super Bowl champion coach Chuck Knox."  They called it boring football. I liked it. The contrasts between the Air Coryells and the Ground Chucks in those days made for great matchups. 

Rest in peace.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 2