RIP Chuck Knox

The Bills have been in existence 58 years. I have been a fan most of them, since a little kid in '64. There have been IMO only two years in those 58 where the Bills were the best team in the league. 1991 and 1980. 

One could argue 64 and 65 they were the best team in the AFL. But that’s not the NFL. 

In our four Super Bowl appearances we were only the best team the first year. The second year the Redskins started 11-0 or something like that. They were a better team during the year. Both years we played the Cowboys they were the better team overall and during the season. 

We could have won any of those four years but only the first were we the best team. 

The 1980 Chuck Knox team we were the best team in the league. IIRC, in the regular season we beat both teams in the previous Super Bowl and both teams in that years Super Bowl. 

Chuck Knox was arguably the best coach the Bills ever had, including Marv. We lost him in the strike year 1984 when Ralph wouldn’t pay him enough. 

• Like (+1) 4

I can recall being infuriated by 'ground chuck'.  I really think he was one of our best coaches of all time - and when you think about it we've had some great ones.  Lou Saban, Marv Levy, Chuck Knox (not in that order).  I think if Wade had been able to stick around a bit longer - he'd be up there too.

I remember how excited I was when he became coach of the Bills.  He built some pretty good teams. I met him a few times and he was a football coach through and through.

RIP Chuck.  

9 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

ebddb7de6cf7a72d515f3826119c72e9.jpg

rest in peace sir.

one of the few bills head coaches to hold a tenure for more then 3 years and in his 5 year span led the bills to two winning ('80-'81) seasons (10-6, 11-5*) and the post season.

*division title 1980

Amen.

A great head coach who got it done in Buffalo mostly all by himself.  The teams GM and team president were useless at that time. Knox not only turned around the team he also rejuvenated the entire city during his time in Buffalo.

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The Bills have been in existence 58 years. I have been a fan most of them, since a little kid in '64. There have been IMO only two years in those 58 where the Bills were the best team in the league. 1991 and 1980. 

One could argue 64 and 65 they were the best team in the AFL. But that’s not the NFL. 

In our four Super Bowl appearances we were only the best team the first year. The second year the Redskins started 11-0 or something like that. They were a better team during the year. Both years we played the Cowboys they were the better team overall and during the season. 

We could have won any of those four years but only the first were we the best team. 

The 1980 Chuck Knox team we were the best team in the league. IIRC, in the regular season we beat both teams in the previous Super Bowl and both teams in that years Super Bowl. 

Chuck Knox was arguably the best coach the Bills ever had, including Marv. We lost him in the strike year 1984 when Ralph wouldn’t pay him enough. 

1999 team had the most talented defense in team history and the easiest path to a SB win.     They had no business being on the road wildcard weekend but Flutie was horrifically bad in stunning home losses to non-playoff teams NYG and Raiders.   Had they gotten out of Tennessee they would have been in the SB and that Rams team nearly got shut out at home in the NFC championship by a lesser Bucs defense/team that was lead by Shaun King at QB.     The competition in 1980 and 1991 was tougher.  

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1999 team had the most talented defense in team history and the easiest path to a SB win.     They had no business being on the road wildcard weekend but Flutie was horrifically bad in stunning home losses to non-playoff teams NYG and Raiders.   Had they gotten out of Tennessee they would have been in the SB and that Rams team nearly got shut out at home in the NFC championship by a lesser Bucs defense/team that was lead by Shaun King at QB.     The competition in 1980 and 1991 was tougher.  

I would look at the 1988 defense  - flooded with 6 1st rd picks...players picked in top 10 of first round  (4 in front 7) and then add 2 more in backfield

Fred Smerlas Art Still and Big Bruce

Bennet & Conlon & talley & xxx

Nate Odomes, Derrick Burroughs

Leonard Smith & Kazoo

team was handcuffed because Marv and Ringo still didnt believe enough in kelly - even though was his 3rd year in NFL

Chuck was a great coach.  In 1978 he started to straighten out a wayward ship that fell of course in 1967.  

The 1980 team was a healthy Joe from the SB.  Lots of great veterans on that team. I was upset to see him leave and understand why.  

In fifty eight years years we have had 3 great head coaches and one or two competent ones.  Chuck is in the top 3, no question.  

• Like (+1) 1

69 replies before mine on a coach who was highly regarded by most fans in Buffalo during his tenure here.  I would have thought that there would have been more people here who are old enough to remember Knox coaching the Bills to make comment on his passing.  At that point in time I really was not following football but am glad Knox left his mark on a generally considered high point in the history of the franchise.  RIP and God bless, Chuck.

Knox also brought along Norm Pollum - improving the scouting system and resulted in a great 1979 draft (in spite of losing top pick due to ralph penny pinchers) - followed by a 1980 draft getting probowlers  jim richter and joe cribbs

I'll always have a soft spot for Ground Chuck.  He was the first head coach I watched lead the Bills into the playoffs (I was too young in '74 to know what was going on).

86 is a good long life.  RIP.

Chuck Knox era Bills football is still my favorite era of Bills football.  I realize, the 90's Bills ultimately had far more success, but it was the Knox teams that were the first in my time as a Bills fan (my earliest memories start in 1972, with Dennis Shaw as QB) that ever gave me the hope that the Bills were a legit threat to win the Super Bowl.  The OJ era was fun, but I don't think anyone ever thought they could win it all.  For, as conservative as Knox reputation was, the Bills offense of his time were actually fairly creative and prolific.  Joe Cribbs was one of the first RB's (along with Roger Craig) that was used extensively as a receiver out of the backfield.  They were a blast to watch...and Chucks defenses were fantastic.  I still remember that regular season game in 1981, when the Bills hit the road to take on the heavily favored Chargers.  Nobody thought the Bills could win that game...they won 28-27...one of the most exciting games I had ever seen, up to that point.  And Chuck was just cool.  Tough guy....but his players absolutely loved him. Thanks for the memories Chuck!  RIP

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, jahbonas said:

I would look at the 1988 defense  - flooded with 6 1st rd picks...players picked in top 10 of first round  (4 in front 7) and then add 2 more in backfield

Fred Smerlas Art Still and Big Bruce

Bennet & Conlon & talley & xxx

Nate Odomes, Derrick Burroughs

Leonard Smith & Kazoo

team was handcuffed because Marv and Ringo still didnt believe enough in kelly - even though was his 3rd year in NFL

That 88' defense was loaded too and I agree that they could have gone to the SB and been beaten by the Niners that year if they had given Kelly more freedom......but 99' was better and deeper though.   I'd take 99' Big Ted and Hansen over 88' Smerlas and Still.......plus that 99' DL was just much deeper with future pro bowlers Pat Williams and Wiley in reserve.    The year Sam Cowart had was arguably the best a Bills LB has ever had.......he was worthy of NFLDPOY.     He was the nearly perfect player that Bennett, Conlon and Talley never became under Club Marv.    99' had a clearly better secondary as well.    Thomas Smith was a full head better than Nate and Winfield was better than Burroughs.  Kelso was just a centerfielder catching errant throws and a weakness for years.  And they just had an outright mental toughness that eluded ALL of Walt Corey's defenses.     The 1999 defense was not only talented and deep but also just fundamentally suffocating and coached by the best defensive coaching in franchise history.    

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Brought the Bills out of some tough times in the 70’s. That 1980 season still goes down as one of my all time favorites.

Thank you Coack Knox and may you rest in peace.

Joe Ferguson....on an ankle he could barely stand on.

Aint that the truth! He is my favorite Bills coach. None other even close. The most professional and competent imho. If people (the newer fans) think that the last decade has been bad they should have watched them back in the late 70s. The team was utterly hopeless after OJ was done. Qb's the likes of Matt Kofler and Gary Marangi. He came in and got the team back to fundamentals and gradually got them very competitive. Some great games back then.

One game in particular I remember in '80 was against the Rams. Weird weather day. Kind of surreal dark and foggy. I thought it was a coming out party for the  Bills as they affirmed they were for real defeating a Super Bowl team(the year before) and then going to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1