theRALPH RANT - Bills Select Josh Allen

2 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

I hope so as well. 

How is it not his issue? Just watch the games There is nothing in it for me to be negative on Allen when we talk about his flaws. He is my favorite QB in the league because he is my QB. However, I'm not going full homer mode. It's not my MO. 

https://www.diehards.com/national/film-room-josh-allen-good-bad-ugly-mysterious-nfl-draft-prospect

This is a phenomenal breakdown of him. 

"Allen makes some absurd decisions. There are throws that even Brett Favre thinks are a little too reckless. Arm arrogance rears its ugly head again. He releases throws super late, into double coverage, because, well, why not?"

In 2018, we have film as fans and we have people who can break it down for us. Use these resources. For every great play he makes, there are 5 that are... Well, yikes. 

LOL

"phenomenal" 

why because it fits your agenda?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

I hope so as well. 

How is it not his issue? Just watch the games There is nothing in it for me to be negative on Allen when we talk about his flaws. He is my favorite QB in the league because he is my QB. However, I'm not going full homer mode. It's not my MO. 

https://www.diehards.com/national/film-room-josh-allen-good-bad-ugly-mysterious-nfl-draft-prospect

"Allen makes some absurd decisions. There are throws that even Brett Favre thinks are a little too reckless. Arm arrogance rears its ugly head again. He releases throws super late, into double coverage, because, well, why not?"

In 2018, we have film as fans and we have people who can break it down for us. Use these resources. For every great play he makes, there are 5 that are... Well, yikes. 

No offense but I literally have no idea what website that is or who that is even breaking it down.

13 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Please support your claim!!! Many people say that but can not back it up with facts.    

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/buffalo-bills-team-stats?season=2017&week=0&category=RECEIVING

Clay  lead the team in Drops does he have bad hands??

There stats have Zay with 2 Drops!!!

I'm basing it off of what I saw.  Did you not watch him play last season?  there were certainly more than 2 drops.  And for the record, Clay caught 66% of passes thrown his way, while Zay only caught 36%.  

Edited by Tenhigh

It was a shame his receivers couldn't hold on to some of the balls thrown in that video; they were right there. It's safe to say that none of the Bills receivers have caught passes from a QB that can spin it like Allen and I think there may be an adjustment period in store. 

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It was a shame his receivers couldn't hold on to some of the balls thrown in that video; they were right there. It's safe to say that none of the Bills receivers have caught passes from a QB that can spin it like Allen and I think there may be an adjustment period in store. 

Wr being thrown the ball on a regular basis may cause some initial shock.

• Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

I hope so as well. 

It was a well put together breakdown; however, it wasn't phenomenal. Saying things like "Allen was pressured on 39 percent of his dropbacks in 2017, per ProFootballFocus, completing 52 percent of such throws while Rosen was pressured on 30 percent of his dropbacks and completed 69 percent of his throws" is a lazy recitation of a meaningless statistic. I did watch Allen's games and Rosen's as well. All pressure is not the same. I wrote this in another thread: I did not see Rosen face the same, consistent level of pressure as Allen did in almost every game in 2017, and, when he did, his completion % dropped, his decision making process worsened, his mechanics faltered, etc.

By the way, Rosen completed less than 60% of his passes in 16 of his 30 college games, his completion % dropped from his first to second year, and he didn't get his career completion percentage over 60% until his third year. Those same kinds of stats are being used to proclaim Allen a potential bust.

I am not a "homer" or an Allen apologist. He wasn't even my first choice - Rosen was (and I felt he had a lot of question marks as well). However, I see a lot of analysis that is wrapped around superficial, or less than complete, information when it comes to Allen. I'm sorry; however, IMHO, I didn't see 5 bad plays for every 1 good play that Allen made.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

Nice breakdown. I thought you were a little easy on him, most notably on the two throws at 9:12. The first one he's got to make a better throw. Sure, the TE maybe should have caught it, but on a hard throw at the knees, I don't think that's an easy catch.

I don't think the next throw is within the WR's catch radius. If he had gone more back shoulder, it could have been a good throw. His feet weren't set and I've seen him make back shoulder throws, so I'm guess that's what he was going for. You said he led threw it a bit inside, so it sounds like that's what you were going for too, but I don't think it necessarily should have been caught. He had a late blitzer coming right at him, so I'm not getting bent out of shape for a slightly inaccurate pass there.

I'm nit picking because otherwise I thought it was a really good breakdown. Those two corner routes that the receivers dropped were both beautiful passes. I'm excited to see Benjamin and Allen gain some chemistry. It doesn't look like Allen will hesitate to throw to a somewhat covered receiver and Benjamin does a great job at catching contested throws. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

I'm basing it off of what I saw.  Did you not watch him play last season?  there were certainly more than 2 drops.  And for the record, Clay caught 66% of passes thrown his way, while Zay only caught 36%.  

The stat keepers at Fox dont agree.  The % caught has more to do with the quality of the pass not drops.  Clay had 2 1/2 times more drops by the same stat keepers.