Still no cheerleaders for the Bills?

29 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

If you’re worried about “the children”, you wouldn’t bring them to a Bills game. 

This, unfortunately

Not to mention (I speak as a parent here) unless you are raising your kids in a remote area lacking cell phone service and internet access, kidz these days have seen much more than scanty-costumed cheerleaders doing a prance (or grind) on the sidelines.  And even then, look out when their cousin visits or a shopping trip to town.

9 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

If “objectification” is cited as a cause for the decline of pro cheerleading, it is nothing more than a convenient excuse. Social change rarely occurs until the powers that be determine the financial consequences imo. In this case, social progress would be a front for protecting the wallet. 

Agree, it's really all about the bottom line.  Judge says "they're non-exempt employees, pay them minimium hourly wage" team says "Nope, not worth that"

Lawsuit and Suspension of Operations

Shortly after the squad's 35 members were selected for the 2014 season, a lawsuit was filed on April 22 by five former Jills that alleged the cheerleaders were not paid for hours they worked.[7] Management then responded 2 days later by "suspending operations" of the cheerleading squad.[8]

On July 3, 2014, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was subpoenaed to testify in the case after a document presented by the Bills in their defense contained his signature.[9]

On May 28, 2015 Queens, NY Assemblywoman Nily Rozic introduced a bill in the New York State Assembly to change the New York State labor law to make it clear that professional cheerleaders are employees of the teams for which they cheer.[10]

As of May 18, 2017, the plaintiffs scored a major victory in their lawsuit as a New York State Court has ruled the Jills to be non-exempt employees, not independent contractors. However, the court denied partial summary judgement as to whether the Bills themselves were their direct employers, and a jury will decide who the employers were unless a settlement is reached. [11][12] In November 2017, Cumulus Media, who purchased Citadel Broadcasting (one of the primary sponsors of the Jills), entered Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and in January 2018, the company sought to terminate any remaining Bills-related debts it owed.[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Jills

2 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Why is it not directed more towards a family atmosphere?  Why is it just female dancers, there are male dancers too.  Why do they have to be half-naked?  It really just doesn't make sense why they need to be half-naked and only female.  The sport is not just for men anymore, it is a family sport.  

Never thought of the violent drunken fans in the stands as a family sport. That being enjoyed cheerleaders but yeh they should get paid... wtf was the nfl thinking with all the money they make.  Women and men objectify themselves all the time... but agree its a double edge sword.  A women with big fake boobs and a practically see thru shirt is what?  You can glance, but if you stare as a guy you are a creep.  Maybe so, heck not even that attracted to that but they tend to be an eye sore anyway hard not to take a long look.  Still cheerleading, actual cheerleading is serious and part gymnastics... dance routine though are more of the objectivism and only help during a boring game.  I am ok with either as long if the decision yes than they should be paid well.

Truth is the Jills started the first Cheerleader Union....their fate was sealed

•  
    •  

Cheerleader union seeks respect, better pay Jill's Won't Be Buffaloes

March 04, 1995|By Ann LoLordo | Ann LoLordo,Sun Staff Writer

The Buffalo Jills are wearing the union label now. And not in their uniforms.

Among professional football cheerleaders, the Jills have scored a first. Last week, the 36-member squad voted overwhelmingly to have a union represent them on and off the field -- a decision fueled by poor pay and a desire to improve their image.

"We put a lot of time and effort into this," says Erin McCormack, a Jill who works as a legal assistant. "What we're trying to do is gain respect as a squad and to cheerleading as a whole."

pixel.gif
Edited by THE SLAMMER

18 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

Notice how all of these cities are in the north.

Right on man, IMO it is too cold for cheerleaders up north unless they have a dome so these teams IMO just gave up because it is hard to have sexy women cheer in full snow suits I guess. SMH at all the posters that see no need for them, I guess they never really watched them cheer to the fans on game days or showed up to help at events or ever watched a professional dance show that has the women wear tight close to show off there body at how they can move. I guess some just like a complete sausage party at the games/events, maybe the way some are talking eventually no women will show up to even watch the game, why have any women at the game then.  IMO many of the women that see these cheerleaders look up to them and one day want to be one, of course some guys don't understand that thinking no need for them. Welcome to Trump world, get in the kitchen while us men go to the game.

4 hours ago, MC Hamburg said:

Im not clear why after all these years we still don't have a cheerleading squad...are we the only NFL team to not have them? I know there was a lawsuit of some sorts but isn't it settled by now?

Prepare to have your mind blown. There is this technology called Google that allows you look for answers exactly these. Go to www.google.com and you'll be amazed how many of those nagging questions will be answered. 

• Like (+1) 1

If you’re a heterosexual man and you don’t like cheerleaders, you might want to see a therapist. 

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Prepare to have your mind blown. There is this technology called Google that allows you look for answers exactly these. Go to www.google.com and you'll be amazed how many of those nagging questions will be answered. 

This is pure witchcraft you speak of. Be gone, witch

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

A women with big fake boobs and a practically see thru shirt is what?  You can glance, but if you stare as a guy you are a creep. 

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Feminism in a nutshell.

Thought that was Prince William/Megan Markle's engagement pics.  Me bad

• Haha (+1) 1

I am happy NOT to have them anymore. Besides if they came back Terry and Kim would probably provide them with a venue to air their political agendas and kneel during the anthem as they did with their other employees. No lets not give Terry and Kim another opportunity to aggravate many long time paying patriotic fans again

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Why do we need them?  I think cheerleaders are a thing of the past and should be done away with.  Do we really need half-naked women dancing?  This isn't just a sport for men anymore.  Women and children watch it.  Let's grow with the times not get stuck in old ones.  

I don't know. This seems like a narrow minded point of view. I grew up with cheer leaders in sports. In fact cheer leading, in many ways is a sport too. The women who do it are very competitive and to simply look at it as "half naked women" is kind of a stereotypical point of view. To me, I think the overall assumption that the women who do this are somehow less than professional is biased and maybe a bit too political for my taste.  I'd like them come back and be out there cheering for our team. Too many fuddy dudies around trying to knock something just because they think that these women are somehow ruining the world view of what a woman should be. It's really a shame.

As for the original court filings that lead up to dis-banning the squad I really don't have an opinion because I don't know what actually happened.  As far as I'm concerned, I hope things can be worked out and they can eventually come back.  I also hope that the kids playing the drums can continue too.  It's entertaining and really that's all it should be about.

Edited by Rockinon
  • Like (+1) 1