Soul and science testing on Josh Allen

I have not seen this video posted here before, forgive me if it has been. This is some pretty neat stuff showing Allen with sensors in his shoes and wrist.

Some highlights were his quick release, compared to Brady. The velocity of the throw as it leaves his hand, fastest they ever tested. and his throwing on the run mechanics.

The neat part was the just for fun hit an 8 ft crossbar from 35 yards. I think he was the only one that hit it. 

I said right after the draft that While Rosen may have been the better QB at the time Allen is the better fit for the Bills and the more stuff I watch about his upbringing and such the more I believe he will do very well here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This was on NFL network on draft day, Allen has amazing physical gifts. If he gets his footwork cleaned up, improves his accuracy and puts in massive hours in film study I could see him being better than Big Ben. We just need to focus on O-Line and getting him top weapons like Big Ben has.

• Like (+1) 3

After watching EJ ace his sports science breakdown, I can't look at these the same way again.  That stupid test made me think EJ was possibly the real deal.  Truth is, practice and dudes in your face are two completely different environments.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Virgil said:

After watching EJ ace his sports science breakdown, I can't look at these the same way again.  That stupid test made me think EJ was possibly the real deal.  Truth is, practice and dudes in your face are two completely different environments.

You mean EJ did not have the "IT" factor!

36 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Preach it, Brudda! 

I share your pain.  I did exactly the same thing - watched EJ on that "sports science" thing and said "hey, maybe we got our guy!"  then.....

Getting better and better with his mechanics in a red shirt where he's not worried about being slammed to the concrete or chased around like a sorry chicken is fine.  We just have to see how he actually does with his decision making and his accuracy on the field.

As I recall, Trent Edwards looked like "all that and two bags of chips" with a red shirt on.

Edit: I will say that this "Soul and Science" thing, perhaps because of Dilfer's influence, seems a bit more realistic to at least QB drills.

• Like (+1) 1

One thing I noticed (that wasn't mentioned by the announcers) on the throw-on-the-run test is that he squared his hips with the line of scrimmage just before throwing. Mechanics like that helps immensely with accuracy.

Years ago, I was watching a McNabb-led Eagles game. The announcers were pointing out that McNabb was inconsistent when throwing on the run, because he wouldn't always square up with the line before releasing the ball. When he did, he was deadly on the run. When he didn't, he wasn't.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Impressively quick recall and reply

From what i was hearing on WGR the other day Allen has problems translating what he can tell you on a white board versus what he does on the field...like he knows exactly what is supposed to be done and can describe it perfectly in the film room and on the white board but then when the exact situation appears in the game he doesn't recognize it and makes the wrong decisions.  Hopefully that comes from more experience

7 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

This was on NFL network on draft day, Allen has amazing physical gifts. If he gets his footwork cleaned up, improves his accuracy and puts in massive hours in film study I could see him being better than Big Ben. We just need to focus on O-Line and getting him top weapons like Big Ben has.

Lotta ifs. 

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

No, no, no.  It was our poor coaching that ruined his career. All their fault.  That, and tents have a certain allure for EJ.  Derek Carr's headed to the bench any time now.

6 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Its a bot. 

Im just worried that if he’s watching here that closely that his twitter monitoring might be slipping. Someone could’ve slipped in with a fresh thread while he was busy defending a win from a month ago 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

What I don’t understand:  what’s wrong with thinking your qb is the real deal?  Did you look stupid for thinking Ej could be good?  Did we lose games because you thought Ej could be good?  Did you get fired because Ej could be good?  Did someone die because you thought Ej could be good?  

I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHATS WRONG WITH THINKING A PLAYER COULD BE GOOD!     I thought JP Losman and Trent Edwards “could be good”.  They were my qB.  They were your qb.  Football is 99999999% more enjoyable when you get behind your players and believe in them.  The only reason I watch football and root for the Bills is because it’s enjoyable for me.  Sitting there watching your QB that you think has zero chance of success has to be terrible experience and not enjoyable.  If a soul and science video can help you have more faith in your QB, it can help you get behind him even more. It can make your football experience more enjoyable.

this is a response to anyone who responded something similar to you vrigil, not just you.  I just don’t understand how this could be a negative thing other than an EGO hit because you were typing on a message board that “X” player is good or bad and now you’re wrong

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

Trent Edwards doesn't have one of the strongest arms in the NFL? He's not a gunslinger? 

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Preach it, Brudda! 

I share your pain.  I did exactly the same thing - watched EJ on that "sports science" thing and said "hey, maybe we got our guy!"  then.....

Getting better and better with his mechanics in a red shirt where he's not worried about being slammed to the concrete or chased around like a sorry chicken is fine.  We just have to see how he actually does with his decision making and his accuracy on the field.

As I recall, Trent Edwards looked like "all that and two bags of chips" with a red shirt on.

Edit: I will say that this "Soul and Science" thing, perhaps because of Dilfer's influence, seems a bit more realistic to at least QB drills.

I think Dilfer in the equation adds something to this, but the problem is there's very little focus on the "soul" and much too much on the "science."

If the 2 of them keep doing this, I think what Dilfer should start bringing to the table is all the personal background stuff that contributes to the prospect's heart and work ethic. I know he talks about all the "No's" Allen received from D1 schools, but no talk of him playing at a tiny unknown HS in rural California, or that he was just 6'0 and 180 lbs as a Junior, or that he was just barely 200 lbs when he first got to Wyoming, or 3 sport athlete in HS in an age of hyper focus on one sport, or his farmboy upbringing.

This just feels like sports science with an afterthought of what Dilfer can say in 30 seconds.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Trent Edwards doesn't have one of the strongest arms in the NFL? He's not a gunslinger? 

Its good to check the boxes that can be checked in practice but certainly doesn’t mean you will succeed. I like to think that the odds of the guy that aces a test like this are a bit better than a dude that fails it though