Which Bills Decision Infuriated You?

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

Least watchable?  Some fans don't just watch the games to see their team score.  I loved watching our defense last season.  I thought last year was easily the most exciting year over the last ten. You must like watching only offense if you thought last year wasn't watchable.  Do you only like watching teams that throw for 300 yards a game?  Serious question.  

The turnovers were fun and they caught a few teams flat footed(Atlanta/KC/Carolina) who were expecting cake-walk victories but you do realize that they were one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year.    Right?

Once they traded Dareus they were hanging on for dear life.   Liked the effort most weeks........except for the 3 game stretch where they played the worst defense in modern NFL history.........but they were not entertaining to watch.    It was both boring and tense knowing they couldn't move the football and were also just a Tyrod turnover away from an epic defensive collapse at any moment.        

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The turnovers were fun and they caught a few teams flat footed(Atlanta/KC/Carolina) who were expecting cake-walk victories but you do realize that they were one of the worst defenses in the NFL last year.    Right?

Once they traded Dareus they were hanging on for dear life.   Liked the effort most weeks........except for the 3 game stretch where they played the worst defense in modern NFL history.........but they were not entertaining to watch.    It was both boring and tense knowing they couldn't move the football and were also just a Tyrod turnover away from an epic defensive collapse at any moment.        

Really?  How many points did they allow a game besides those three games?  They were one of the best bend but don't break defenses at times last year and kept us in almost every game with little offense.  How were they not good?  Points are the only thing that truly matter.

1 hour ago, Leonhart2017 said:

I remember being particularly mad about the Whitner pick. It seriously came out of left field taking him at 8 when Ngata was on the board.

I was freaking out because they also had Leinart in their hands, and should have traded out of the pick.  And still gotten Ngata.  He went 7 picks later.  Arizona wanted Leonard.

But when they called Whitner I started throwing things.

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What made the Jason Peters scenario even more of a fiasco is that the Bills brought in Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker to shore up the OL at hefty prices when both players were slow and sluggish players. What made the situation even more stupid is that they then forced Langston Walker, an adequate RT, to move to the left side where he admitted was unfit to play. Of course that didn't work out.  I believe that this was during the peculiar Levy era. 

Let me add to the list of notorious weird decisions is the drafting of Torrell Troup with a high pick. He was an undersized nose tackle who had a history of back problems in college. In the pros he was an undersized nose tackle with a history of back problems. He failed because he was an undersized nose tackle with back problems. Shocking!!!!

I almost used paying Dockery and Walker as something that infuriated me. I believe, at that point, Dockery was the highest paid OG in the NFL!! That’s insanity. You couldn’t pay a HOFer but you could pay a borderline starter.

I lump Troup and McCargo in the same boat. Both were giant reaches with question marks and both failed miserably. They weren’t ever even solid players. They were scrubs. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

These are both good ones because they didn’t make sense at the time. These weren’t bad decisions in hindsight; they were bad decisions immediately. 

I’ll throw another one out there, not paying Jason Peters. He was a young star at a premium position. That’s the exact kind of guy that you throw money at. It was a stupid decision to play hardball with him.

The hiring of Rex is the worst of all our terrible decisions. I knew instantly it was doomed. The Peters one is anothet good one. He will likely be a HoF LT and the Bills screwed the pooch not finding a way to keep him. 

The Rex Ryan hire was one for me. I tried to put a good face on it, after it happened. But, that didn't last long. Then, what he did to out defense! Like watching Jerry Hughs drop back into coverage so he could chase Rob Gronkowsky down the field. ARGH!!! As I write this, I'm still questioning whether I really saw that-- but I did!

I also didn't like the way they let go of Fred Jackson. I understood the decision to move on. I just didn't like the way it went down.

I'm totally fine with the Allen pick. I wasn't a fan of Rosen, purely for the personality thing, but I would have been fine with him, as well. I don't really know much about any of the college QBs coming into the draft, other than what all the talking heads, and TBW self-described experts have to say about them, and how much is that worth? My fear was that Allen would immediately be a divisive figure, but that hasn't been the case. I hope that trend continues, as we have been so divided over our quarterbacks for so long.

53 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

There have been a lot that confused me - Chan Gaily, Dick Jauron, etc. But only one infuriated me: Rex Ryan punting against MIami with the season on the line. 

That’s a good one too. That was not even an option. That’s without considering that the Bills has like 585 yards that day and the Dolphins roughly the same. That’s the worst in game decision that a Bills coach has ever made. 

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I wouldn't agree that they were "one of the worst." I figure they were fairly middling, with some bright spots. But, I will say this: Watching Jim Schwartz' defense was the best part of Sunday while it lasted!

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

As a Bills fans there’s many decisions that likely have made you pull out your hair, or slam your fist down in anger....or at least shake your head.  With the Josh Allen over Josh Rosen debate fresh on our minds, this is thread is dedicated to those times when the Bills have disappointed you with a key decision.

Heres a few from me and most have to do with coaches.

I remember really being sketical when Ralph Wilson made a statement by firing Tom Donahue, only to bring Marv on board as GM.  But like many, I said I’d give it a chance.  Then they hired Dick Jauron as HC.  I remember complaining on the BBMB that Ralph was being a “cheapskate” with his hires.  Of course I got banned from a mod named “nuebs”. I remember reading the old emails a few months ago.

Again I was really mad a few years later for almost the same reason.  Buddy Nix was named GM and again there was a coaching vacancy.  Names like Shannahan and Cowher were tossed around.  And then I was sitting in an auto shop getting my car fixed and a bunch of salesman were talking.  I heard one of them say “they are saying the Bills will hire Chan Gailey” who at the time was out of football.  It was almost like in Star Trek, but instead of saying “Kahhhhhhhhhhhn,” I dropped to my knees and said “Nooooooooooooooo.”  In the end, I think things could have worked out with Chan if a few things were different.

Those are my choices - let’s hear your’s......

Chan got the job because NO OTHER coach wanted to come here... we were in a sorry state and he was the only guy willing to deal with it

OBD, Russ, Ralph etc was all a mess... he did the best he could with UDFA and cannon fodder lol

Fitz became an NFL starter and Stevie Johnson got his $$$... 2 things chan did lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

My personal favorite: letting a not fully healed Jim Kelly start in the AFC Championship game at Miami over Frank Reich back in Jan of 1993.  Yes, we won the game and went on to our 3rd Super Bowl but Kelly threw a couple of INTs and looked rusty.  Frank was on a roll after the Oilers comeback and winning on the road at Pittsburgh.  Not only would Frank have beaten Miami, I think he would've done good against Dallas.

Jim got knocked out of the SB that game, Frank came in convinced that they were going to come back fairy-tale style, and he flopped.

25 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Really?  How many points did they allow a game besides those three games?  They were one of the best bend but don't break defenses at times last year and kept us in almost every game with little offense.  How were they not good?  Points are the only thing that truly matter.

Yes, really.

They were the 26th ranked defense in the NFL despite a very, very favorable and incredibly timely schedule.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

At the time, I was INFURIATED that they traded away Sammy Watkins.

I was always a big fan of his and felt that the Bills had misused him and saddled him with awful QB and awful offensive playcalling from day one. In my opinion, he had -- and still has -- the talent and work ethic to be the best receiver in the league. Aside from his health, he keeps being the victim of terrible situations. Even in LA last year, he arrived late enough that Woods and Kupp had already established a rapport with Goff. Watkins never seemed to be more than the third option or deep threat decoy in their passing game. I still feel that he's one of the most physically talented WRs I've ever seen.

That being said, I've gotten over it. Watkins probably would've walked anyway, so getting a 2nd round pick and a year of Gaines was a win. Also, seeing Sammy's daily lunatic rantings on Twitter about being a solar reptilian being make me feel better about the whole thing.

I mean...he DID say "I think", not "I know for a fact!".

This 100%.  

Before that, the last one was cutting Fred.  Sure he was old, but old doesn’t mean useless.

before that, drafting donte wifner over Ngata.  THAT got me ANGRY.  SOOOOOOOO ANGRY

Before that, watching Big Ben slide and we stay put to draft lee Evans......AND THEN TRADE OUR 2nd AND NEXT YEARS FIRST FOR JP LOSS-MAN!!  JUST......WOW

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

As a Bills fans there’s many decisions that likely have made you pull out your hair, or slam your fist down in anger....or at least shake your head.  With the Josh Allen over Josh Rosen debate fresh on our minds, this is thread is dedicated to those times when the Bills have disappointed you with a key decision.

Heres a few from me and most have to do with coaches.

I remember really being sketical when Ralph Wilson made a statement by firing Tom Donahue, only to bring Marv on board as GM.  But like many, I said I’d give it a chance.  Then they hired Dick Jauron as HC.  I remember complaining on the BBMB that Ralph was being a “cheapskate” with his hires.  Of course I got banned from a mod named “nuebs”. I remember reading the old emails a few months ago.

Again I was really mad a few years later for almost the same reason.  Buddy Nix was named GM and again there was a coaching vacancy.  Names like Shannahan and Cowher were tossed around.  And then I was sitting in an auto shop getting my car fixed and a bunch of salesman were talking.  I heard one of them say “they are saying the Bills will hire Chan Gailey” who at the time was out of football.  It was almost like in Star Trek, but instead of saying “Kahhhhhhhhhhhn,” I dropped to my knees and said “Nooooooooooooooo.”  In the end, I think things could have worked out with Chan if a few things were different.

Those are my choices - let’s hear your’s......

Living out of Buffalo I returned to visit and was waiting to hear a big name like you - Cowher or Shanahan; I was driving down Tonawanda Creek Road and heard Buddy Nix and almost drove into the Tonawanda Creek. Definitely the most disappointing!

• Like (+1) 1

Johnson over Flutie. 

Maybin over Orakpo was pretty bad. 

I didn't have any clue how infuriated I would later become, but I do remember being disappointed when we traded up in the 3rd round for Russell Wilson TJ Graham. I liked Wilson as a QB prospect that year. 

Swapping a Jim Schwartz defense for a Rex Ryan defense. 

Honestly my gut reaction when it happened was that I did not like the Allen pick at all because Rosen was available. I've been doing my usual self-convincing and will support the kid, but it's how I felt for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

Benching Flutie for Johnson made me hate Wade Phillips.  This was compounded during the 2000 season, when Wade was asked about the playoff implications of our 7-6 Bills facing the 7-6 Colts on a Monday night in December.   Wade stated that neither team was going to the playoffs, and he was half right:  The Colts beat us 44-20 and won their last 2 games to grab a wildcard spot.  When we parted ways with Flutie at the end of the season (after Johnson went 4-7 to Flutie's 4-1), I boycotted the Bills for the year.  The only Bills game I watched in '01 was vs Flutie's Chargers, and it was the only time in my life that I ever rooted against Buffalo.

Dick Jauron's contract extension being announced the day after Losman fumbled the game away against the Jets really got to me.  I usually had a "we'll get them next year" outlook, but that time, I knew in December of '08 that the '09 season had already been flushed down the toilet.  This was reaffirmed when Jauron decided to open the '09 season with the no huddle offense, with the obvious goal of going 3 & out as quickly as possible.

Having Doug Marrone lose a power struggle to Doug Whaley was a tough one; I always said we lost the wrong Doug that day.  Not that I was the biggest Marrone fan, but come on.  One of them just coached his team to the AFC championship game, and the other will never be a GM again.