Which Bills Decision Infuriated You?

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

He was not at the time, he was a player the Bills spent a lot of work on to just get him to be able to play OT.

He was 26 and coming off of back-to-back Pro Bowls. He was obviously an ascending player with a ridiculous ceiling. This was the exact kind of guy that they should have signed. Your money should pay great, young players, at premium positions. Peters was the poster child for a massive contract. The Bills decided against it and the rest is history.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

His agent negotiated a contract based on Peters playing Right Tackle, we then shifted him to Left and as result Peters wanted more because of the position change. In retrospect we got Eric Wood who had a great career but ironically enough Peters is having a longer one and at a more important position. 

And would he have given back the money if he moved back to RT? NO!  He wanted bonus for something the Bills paid for.

10 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

5. Allowing Rex to dismantle the Jim Schwartz defense.  I had no issue with Rex as a HC hire.  I thought wrongly that he would retain Schwartz and just add a few blitz/coverage wrinkles to what Schwartz was doing.  If Rex had simply played the role of HC, both he and Whaley would be here now with multiple playoff seasons. 

I think you're right on with this one.

1) The 2006 draft was the epitome of stupidity. The draft was STACKED!!! Levy said that he rejected several offers to trade down. He stayed put at #8 and drafted Whitner.  Not bad enough? He traded UP to get Mc Cargo, then he drafted defensive backs early in rounds 3 and 4, neither of whom was any good. This draft set us back about 5 years. Whitner, a semi-decent player, cost the Bills 36 million dollars as I recall.

2) Almost as dumb was the selection of Spiller. Remember him? All he needed was some "space." He would have been a semi-decent pick......in round 6.

3) We passed up two excellent blockers in order to draft Leotis McKelvin, this on a team with a horrid OL.

It was almost as if we were trying to lose. A 14 year old kid with a few draft magazines could have done a better job.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

Orakpo over Maybin.  I was in Vegas at the time and didn't leave the hotel room until I saw the Bills pick.  This was when the draft was still on Saturdays so I was dressed for the pool.

I saw Orakpo was still there and I didn't think we had a chance at him prior to the draft starting.  Then he's sitting there and I hear Maybin's name.  

I thought for sure, without a doubt it was going to be Orakpo because the Bills selection was pretty immediate.  Of the 15 minutes, I think the Bills made their selection within a few minutes.  "It's gotta be Orakpo!  They didn't take any time for the selection!".

• Like (+1) 1

It’s just sports, so I’ve never been infuriated.

I’ve been surprised, disappointed, confused but never infuriated. It’s not like driving in traffic..

Drafting Spiller was confusing.

Trading up for Losman was confusing.

Taking Maybin was dumb.

Whitner at 8 was strange. I pretty much had a Bills Ngata jersey ready to go..

Theres been a lot of questionable moves. Tough to pinpoint one that got to me more than the others.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I suppose in retrospect, I thought well of Nix (2011 on) and Whaley just because at least they were a marked improvement.

They get an unfair rap IMO. I suppose because of recency bias and Whaley's infamous last  PC (I didn't think it was THAT bad, I mean the dude was trying to not throw his  owners under the bus and in an impossible position.)

People gripe Whaley didn't have a plan.. he did. Just didn't pan out. Built from a great defense by drafting his quarterback and going for win now by getting the best WR graded since AJ Green. Overpaid for Clay and basically gambled on having a capable offense on rookie contracts, while having his expensive and aging win now Defense in place. That was a plan. The offense didn't turn around enough to compensate for a defense that got wrexed.

He's gone now but talk about not having a plan.. look at Juaron and Chan's aimless teams.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Epstein's Mother said:

As for winning the game going away I don't think Kelly in his prime wins that game going away.  He might win it but let's remember the Titans were a 13 win team that year not a bunch of stiffs.

The Mighty Titans were only able to beat us with a tricky illegal play that should have been called back in their own house against us playing our backup QB who had a bad game. World beaters? I think not. 

Flutie plays, we win, and it ain't even close.   You'll NEVER convince me otherwise ?

Edited by reddogblitz

10 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

It’s just sports, so I’ve never been infuriated.

I’ve been surprised, disappointed, confused but never infuriated. It’s not like driving in traffic..

Drafting Spiller was confusing.

Trading up for Losman was confusing.

Taking Maybin was dumb.

Whitner at 8 was strange. I pretty much had a Bills Ngata jersey ready to go..

Theres been a lot of questionable moves. Tough to pinpoint one that got to me more than the others.

I shrug at what we do until the season starts and I see the outcome. Game time is only when I'm emotional. Off-season was silly. 

I was a bit upset that we kept offloading talent from the last regime. I get almost all of them but the Ragland dump didn't make sense at the time. Like they were just moving players to make a point they wanted to be new. Love the FO rn tho. You make the playoffs you win my heart. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

The other one I didn't like was dumping Fred when we did.

Eh that was when we had karlos and shady right? Fred was clearly done that Seahawks season and after so I wasn't surprised. I guess they didn't necessarily have to dump him but I imagine we were having cap trouble

17 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

3) We passed up two excellent blockers in order to draft Leotis McKelvin, this on a team with a horrid OL.

Oh, come on!  Those were some of the most entertaining moments of the week, seeing if/how he was going to field that punt.  Surely you can't put a price on that!

8 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I shrug at what we do until the season starts and I see the outcome. Game time is only when I'm emotional. Off-season was silly. 

I was a bit upset that we kept offloading talent from the last regime. I get almost all of them but the Ragland dump didn't make sense at the time. Like they were just moving players to make a point they wanted to be new. Love the FO rn tho. You make the playoffs you win my heart. 

I think the only time I’ve ever been close to infuriated was the Monday Nighter against Dallas.

As far as the transactions, I’m an idiot so I always just assume the FO know what they’re doing.

Edited by Jay_Fixit

None.  McBeane have just started to put their identity on the team.  Yes, I have been shocked.  I haven't agreed with everything but we can't expect them to build somebody else's team. We made the playoffs despite everything last year.  They have earned some room to move.

(I'd love to see the process on Hard Knocks ?

1 hour ago, Elite Poster said:

If he was 25 signing his first FA contract, I would agree with everything you just said.

Funny enough, I just signed a contract this week. I read the whole thing, had a colleague read it, and had my lawyer read it. We all met together and went over our notes. Attention to detail, especially when it's the details from the person who is writing your checks.

You would love working for me, I wouldn't be as harsh on Richie as the Bills were, but as a capitalist in America, survival of the wittiest. We live in a country where you get the opportunity and time necessary to know what you are getting into before you sign the dotted line. No sympathy for the people who have more resources than 95% of the rest of us. 

You have my complete respect

1 hour ago, Epstein's Mother said:

Or if Flutie had gone on to do great things I would have to eat crow too.

Flutie had 21-9 record while a Bill. That includes a 4-1 record after he lost the starting job to Rob Johnson to start the 2000 season. Rob Johnson had a cumulative 9-17 record as a Bill which included a 4-7 record in that same 2000 season. Flutie was 38 years old that 2000 season so it's not likely he would have gone on to be great in the coming seasons. But even with that being the case 21-9 is a great record for a QB to have  in my book. Although with a 4-1 record in 2000, who knows, maybe the Bills reach 10 wins under Flutie (they finished 8-8 that year ) if he starts all 16 games. 

• Like (+1) 1