Anchor Bar coming to NYC!!

GG

Not big enough to pull crowds away from McFaddens, but could be a nice option for the West Siders.

Opening May 17th - West 57th St.

Alleged buffalo wing creator plants a location in Midtown West

Anchor Bar, a Buffalo-based restaurant chain that claims it invented the town’s famous hot wing, will open a Manhattan bar on May 17. It will be the 11th location of the chain, which first opened in Buffalo in 1935 and came up with the recipe in 1964. Here in NYC, the 3,840-square-foot franchise space at 327 West 57th St., between Eighth and Ninth avenues, will have a dining room area and a sports bar area serving its famous wings — 10 for $13.99 — alongside typical bar fare such as chicken nuggets and pizza “logs.”

3 hours ago, rochester rob said:

The Rochester location closed after about a year. Duffs is still going as far as I know.  Duffs were better than anchor but still not the best in the area.

The one in Syracuse lasted about 11 months. 

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Anchor Bar is a great, "hey, I've been there!" place.  But their wings are very good, at best.  I can get better in Glens Falls.

Saying "very good,at best" tells me you are being kind. I could hook you up with a few places in Cheektowaga (alone) that are better and cheaper....mainly because they are mom and pop family joints...and they don't commit murders in their kitchens.

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

One in Richmond lasted about 8 months..horrible location and was just to damn big..and the suicides were freaking awful

They don't have a very good track record for opening these things. I never went to the one in Richmond, but the one in Vegas was not a good experience. And I say this as someone that actually likes the original location more than most it seems.

7 hours ago, Dr. Fong said:

They don't have a very good track record for opening these things. I never went to the one in Richmond, but the one in Vegas was not a good experience. And I say this as someone that actually likes the original location more than most it seems.

feel for the guy in Richmond. Friend of a friend thing..he had never been in the restaurant business, took most of his retirement money to open this thing. Besides the location, no soft opening but a well-advertised opening weekend. Place was a disaster from a service perspective for a solid two weeks and got lit up online. Those reviews never disappeared,  Add in the fact he took a giant space that always made the place feel empty..and the location..he stood no shot. 

A guy I work with has a client who pulled all his money (or at least a huge chunk) out of his retirement to open one here in SoCal someplace.  I think he's crazy.  Now maybe he'll do great here in SoCal with all the WNY transplants and I told him I'd help his client promote it but still that's insane to do that with your retirement dollars you've saved your whole working career.  

Edited by Chef Jim

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

A guy I work with has a client who pulled all his money (or at least a huge chunk) out of his retirement to open one here in SoCal someplace.  I think he's crazy.  Now maybe he'll do great here in SoCal with all the WNY transplants and I told him I'd help his client promote it but still that's insane to do that with your retirement dollars you've saved your whole working career.  

see above! Thing is, this place has wings, pizza and beer, and while fine in WNY, tough outside of it. The Buffalo pizza style will last about 10 minutes in SoCal..way to doughy and heavy for anywhere outside of Detriot and Chicago!!

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

feel for the guy in Richmond. Friend of a friend thing..he had never been in the restaurant business, took most of his retirement money to open this thing. Besides the location, no soft opening but a well-advertised opening weekend. Place was a disaster from a service perspective for a solid two weeks and got lit up online. Those reviews never disappeared,  Add in the fact he took a giant space that always made the place feel empty..and the location..he stood no shot. 

The rate of failure for new restaurants is high. Anyone who has a desire to open a restaurant needs not only do their research in advance but also work in the business even if it is as a trial basis to understand what you are getting yourself into. It becomes a total commitment that consumes your life. There are so many pitfalls associated with staffing, licensing, rent etc. that can sink shortly after the doors get open. Your chances of success are much greater if you have been in the business compared to those who with no experience want to enter the business.

As you noted because of the world of social media you can't learn as you go. You have to be ready to offer quality service right from the get go. If that doesn't happen your ship will sink rather quickly. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/20/heres-the-real-reason-why-most-restaurants-fail.html

11 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Damn, it’s like they can’t learn from all their previous mistakes in opening these places. Does Anchor Bar offer no assistance or guidance? Do they not share lessons learned with their franchisees? These guys must get all excited about opening weekend receipts, only to see it crumble in a few months. 

just like in Richmond, these reviews will be at the top of yelp for the next year!  Dummies!

@Chef Jim, best tell your pal about all these mistakes these guys are making in the opening. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Damn, it’s like they can’t learn from all their previous mistakes in opening these places. Does Anchor Bar offer no assistance or guidance? Do they not share lessons learned with their franchisees? These guys must get all excited about opening weekend receipts, only to see it crumble in a few months. 

just like in Richmond, these reviews will be at the top of yelp for the next year!  Dummies!

@Chef Jim, best tell your pal about all these mistakes these guys are making in the opening. 

There were two actually in Rochester, one down town, one at Marketplace mall, and both failed. The owner of the one at Market place said basically they paid for the name and their only requirement was they had to use the anchor bar sauce on the wings. I heard that it cost like 50k for the name and that was basically the only assistance they got.

I remember going with my family and my mom wanted to order their stuffed banana peppers (they have these at the original one) and was told that that is unique to that location and they dont make them outside of there.

On 5/12/2018 at 5:37 PM, plenzmd1 said:

One in Richmond lasted about 8 months..horrible location and was just to damn big..and the suicides were freaking awful

I live in Virginia about an hour north of Richmond, and by the time I found out there was an Anchor Bar, I then found out it was closing.  I missed that short window I guess.  Disappointing too because I wanted to go to one in Buffalo back in 2013 (season opener against NE), the last time I was there, and the wait was 1.5 hours.  So my wife and I left, and tried to find a Duffs (because I’ve heard of them).  We walked in and went to the restroom, and there was a leak from the ceilings, so we left.  Seemed kind of dirty.