Dolphins plan to run no-huddle offense; “13 personnel”

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

i look forward to a lot of quick 3 and Outs, contributing to a worn down defense. I hope.

Did'nt Rex run a version of this offense with 13 men on the field?

Just now, Limeaid said:

Well 3 TE sets will help if the TEs are good. 

Some forget the K-Gun was not named after Kelly but his TE.

It really should have been named the R-Gun for Rusty Jones for without his conditioning and nutrition plans it would not have succeeded.

Yeah. Keith McKeller. TE

Even back then coaches and front office did not know how to spell.......lol

(seriously Keith was nicknamed Killer and that is why they weirdly named it K gun after him)

I think this actually makes sense for Miami. They expect their O-line to be upgraded. I think a no-huddle plays to Tannehill's strengths, assuming his knee issues are behind him. He works well out of the pocket, and has the experience to make quick reads, and improvise. 

6 minutes ago, cba fan said:

I still remember (and cringe at) Dick Jauron's disastrous no-huddle offense behind a dismal O-line. Poor Trent Edwards...

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think this actually makes sense for Miami. They expect their O-line to be upgraded. I think a no-huddle plays to Tannehill's strengths, assuming his knee issues are behind him. He works well out of the pocket, and has the experience to make quick reads, and improvise. 

That was my first thought, too. It all depends on the first pass. If they hit it, then they have the defense on their heels. Tannehill has the mobility.

The big bodies on their offensive line are going to LOVE this new offense.

Don't the Dolphins play half their games in Miami?  It gets hot and humid there!

3 of their first 5 games are on the road; that'll help, but still....

Hope they have a good conditioning plan in place.

46 minutes ago, WMDman said:

didnt they try this already?

Yes. They said it didn’t work because the players couldn’t remember the plays ?

42 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The big bodies on their offensive line are going to LOVE this new offense.

Don't the Dolphins play half their games in Miami?  It gets hot and humid there!

3 of their first 5 games are on the road; that'll help, but still....

Hope they have a good conditioning plan in place.

The idea is to wear out the opposing D in the heat, which sometimes works. But their own D gets worn out too, even though they are more used to practicing in it.

No huddle works if it works. If it doesn’t work then you end up with a very tired defense. 

If the offense is able to successful matriculate the ball down the field, then the no huddle offense can be a successful tactic.  If the offense is not effective, then the offensive time of possession will be short, which can result in the defense having very little time to rest before they have to go back out and play more.  That will likely cause the defensive players to become tired, which is not a desirable situation.

Edited by Gray Beard

Why do teams announce this stuff? What advantage does it serve? Also, if I was a coach, the no huddle would be something I would use to switch up tempo through the game.  To blindly run it every offensive series seems really dumb.  Of course, the nfl is pretty dumb.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, cba fan said:

Yeah. Keith McKeller. TE

Even back then coaches and front office did not know how to spell.......lol

(seriously Keith was nicknamed Killer and that is why they weirdly named it K gun after him)

Excellent!

2 hours ago, cba fan said:

Well, to be fair, he had to make up for having 9 guys on the field to play defense. It all averaged out.

• Haha (+1) 2