MMQB: Why the Browns are making a mistake with Baker Mayfield (by starting Tyrod)

Now we know why SI is headed for the historical trashbin like Time.

TT is doing in Cleveland what McCarron is doing here - parlaying an audition into a better job somewhere else. If he doesn't he will become Fitz 2.0 and amass a great jersey collection along the way. Personally I expect TT to do well under Jackson (who I also wanted over Wrecks). Mayfield should have to earn his job just like Allen will have to .

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

How do you know the Bills aren't going to do the same thing as the Browns are by starting the veteran? I see McCarron being the starter. 

Maybe. But I think they're leaning more towards Allen. Beane has said he doesn't think Allen is raw, and yesterday McDermott said he believes in "learning on the job" when asked about him. They didn't try signing any serious free agent QBs who could conceivably start for a whole year (compared to the Jets and Browns and even Cardinals who have better bridge options in place). Plus I tend to trust Vegas and they have Allen as the most likely rookie QB to start 10+ games this year. I think McDermott's philosophy is to start Allen now and let him figure it out as he goes. I don't necessarily agree with that but as with all things on Allen I'm waiting to see how it goes before passing judgment.

59 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Here is a bet:

I'm betting somewhere between now and the end of this football season, SI runs an article about the ratio of turnovers to touchdowns/likely victories in the NFL, using Tyrod Taylor w/Cleveland and Buffalo without Tyrod Taylor as the basis for the case study.

And I'm betting that the odds of that article running triples if Josh Allen starts in Buffalo before game 4. 

I'll go one further: I'm betting you see something like that article from ... let's say every GD'd football outlet in football until you are so sick of it ... that it makes whatever MMQB just vomited on it's page in order to seem relevant is a distant memory.

It might surprise people in Buffalo, but Cleveland wants to go to the playoffs this year. Tyrod gives them not a good chance, but an excellent chance to do that. Hue Jackson's stand is proper and reasoned. There is no reason to create a QB controversy where one doesn't exist. Unless of course it's so MMQB can get more clicks.

PS: I'm easily the biggest Mayfield fan here and called him to be the #1 draft pick long before it was fashionable, and regardless of my online name I'm not THAT big a fan of Tyrod Taylor.

I actually think he did create a QB controversy where none existed by declaring a starter so early. Having an open competition between the #1 overall pick and an average vet seems less controversial to me. It’s not like Baker is stepping into a team with an established starter at the helm. Tyrod has never taken a snap for the Browns or played for any of the coaches before either. He has 3 more years of playing experience but don’t see why that gives he has the starting job on lock down before they see either of them in this offense with these players.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Maybe. But I think they're leaning more towards Allen. Beane has said he doesn't think Allen is raw, and yesterday McDermott said he believes in "learning on the job" when asked about him. They didn't try signing any serious free agent QBs who could conceivably start for a whole year (compared to the Jets and Browns and even Cardinals who have better bridge options in place). Plus I tend to trust Vegas and they have Allen as the most likely rookie QB to start 10+ games this year. I think McDermott's philosophy is to start Allen now and let him figure it out as he goes. I don't necessarily agree with that but as with all things on Allen I'm waiting to see how it goes before passing judgment.

We don't know for sure so we'll see how it plays out. One of the reasons why I would rather have the staff be more conservative in their handling of him is because of the caliber of our OL. In my estimation it is less than average. With a strong OL you can have your young qb run a conservative offense that stresses the run and play action passes. 

I wouldn't complain if I were wrong in my assessment and have the big Josh simply overwhelmingly outshine the other qbs and cleanly earn the starting job. That would be wonderful yet improbable. In the long run what is more important than winning or losing an extra game or so with him is his development. It's not stretching the truth that how he develops is most likely the most critical issue facing this franchise in the near and long term future of this franchise. This regime has invested a lot to get to the point where they could draft him. It's imperative that it is smart on how they handle him. 

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Plus, Taylor is arguably just the sort of QB the Browns need right now - one who protects the ball and doesn't make many mistakes.  

He's not the hero QB that the Browns deserve, but he's the hero QB that the Browns need.

I think this has less to do with who is the better quarterback by the start of the season, and more to do with putting Mayfield into the best position to progress.  They're protecting their investment with statements like this by removing pressure to get him on the field, and giving him some time and room to grow (in principle, anyway). 

It's the NFL, though.  The moment he outperforms Tyrod in practice or mop-up duty, they'll throw him into the starting lineup, no matter what they say in the offseason, or whether or not it hurts him in the long run.

• Like (+1) 1

I think there is a good chance Tyrod gets the starting job out there. There is a reason they traded for Tyrod. They began scouring Mayfield and the QB's in January at the latest and they probably knew that none of these QB's were instantly ready to start, there was a reason that they traded for Tyrod wanting a veteran QB. 

3 hours ago, Dalton said:

I agree the better player should start.  The question is can Mayfield prove he can read defenses while playing generic pre-season defenses?

On the other hand can you learn from the bench?

your forgetting one thing here.... i'm not sure Tyrod can read a defense. he didn't make even one audible here in 3 freaking years.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, habes1280 said:

I think this has less to do with who is the better quarterback by the start of the season, and more to do with putting Mayfield into the best position to progress.  They're protecting their investment with statements like this by removing pressure to get him on the field, and giving him some time and room to grow (in principle, anyway). 

It's the NFL, though.  The moment he outperforms Tyrod in practice or mop-up duty, they'll throw him into the starting lineup, no matter what they say in the offseason, or whether or not it hurts him in the long run.

I think Tyrod starts 8-10 games at the very least, barring major injury or hideous performance. The Browns have to know that they are a year away at best from serious contention. Letting Tyrod take the pressure of a season off of Mayfield would help his development way too much for them to rush Mayfield in. 

Now if Mayfield is completely outclassing Tyrod that's a different story but I don't think that will happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

It might surprise people in Buffalo, but Cleveland wants to go to the playoffs this year. Tyrod gives them not a good chance, but an excellent chance to do that. Hue Jackson's stand is proper and reasoned. There is no reason to create a QB controversy where one doesn't exist. Unless of course it's so MMQB can get more clicks.

I think a QB controversy is created whenever a QB is drafted #1 overall and does not start immediately.

I'm sure every team wants to go to the playoffs, but first Cleveland wants to start being a competitive football team that expects to win every time they take the field.  Despite the QB controversy and some opinions here, Tyrod was a QB who helped the Bills win half their games when he was here,  more so in 2015 and 2016 with a scheme that better suited his skills and better WR (but a poor D).  If Jackson wants to improve to at least 8-8, Tyrod is arguably his better path to that outcome.

I don't think anyone got Mayfield's buy-in to that notion though.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Minicamps haven’t even started yet, there’s no way Baker doesn’t beat out Tyrod for the starting job

I think it is almost assured that Tyrod wins the job and that he is a better QB as of right now. A couple years down the line I think it will be the other way around, but Tyrod will be long gone by that point and starting for some other QB needy team.

9 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Browns fans are gonna hate Tyrod by game 3. They’ll want the gunslinger to take over by then. 

The Browns have won only 1 game in 2 seasons. Tyrod can win games. I bet they love him for a season before they realize his ceiling is so low.

3 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

That's wonderful, a similar passer rating.

Hey, folks now a days you can win games with passer ratings. Dont worry about only throwing 14 TDs this past season, Buffalo is going to be awarded wins based on Tyrod taking safe conservative throws. Those sub 70 yard passing games and being in the top three in sacks despite being behind one of the best rated lines, those dont mean anything, cause Tyrod is in the class of those aforementioned QBs.

The Browns were originally going to trade us their first rounder, cause ya know, Tyrod has a good passer rating, but Beane felt bad so he took a third instead.

Yeah; I'm sure Taylor averaged 7.99 yards per attempt in 2015 "taking safe conservative throws".

Edited by grb

16 minutes ago, grb said:

Yeah; I'm sure Taylor averaged 7.99 yards per attempt in 2015 "taking safe conservative throws".

The very same year where his 20 passing TDs was good for 21st in the league. Again, you arent winning games without points. Something Tyros seldom produced. Next!

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I actually think he did create a QB controversy where none existed by declaring a starter so early. Having an open competition between the #1 overall pick and an average vet seems less controversial to me. It’s not like Baker is stepping into a team with an established starter at the helm. Tyrod has never taken a snap for the Browns or played for any of the coaches before either. He has 3 more years of playing experience but don’t see why that gives he has the starting job on lock down before they see either of them in this offense with these players.

Not to use a truism we all know, but there is some distance between a controversy among fans and in the clubhouse. 

And when fans say things like "he's only been in town for a few months" ... I think they vastly underestimate the messages that the office is trying to send to players. There is a larger conversation that is going on between the HC and the players and it speaks to things like continuity of message. Note: their message is not necessarily the same as the one in Buffalo ("we earn things around here"). 

Cheers.