MMQB: Why the Browns are making a mistake with Baker Mayfield (by starting Tyrod)

8 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Calling something "comparable" isn't the same thing as "comparing one thing to another"

"Comparable" means they are similar/alike, or right equivalent

"Comparing one thing to another" is looking at their similarities and differences

They are not the same thing

Tyrod/Mayfield is not "comparable" to Flynn/Wilson

Flynn was signed to be the franchise starter long term. This was reported on by literally every news source, and stated by Seattle.

Tyrod was traded for to be the 1-2 year starter at most until they felt Mayfield was ready

I have said this like 4 times now.

Your reading comprehension isn't very good.

Doesn't it just burn you up that the Bissell PowerGuide Cordless 1534 is being compared to the Eureka AirSpeed CleanXtreme AS3006A right now? Other than both being vacuum cleaners they're literally nothing alike.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Doesn't it just burn you up that the Bissell PowerGuide Cordless 1534 is being compared to the Eureka AirSpeed CleanXtreme AS3006A right now? Other than both being vacuum cleaners they're literally nothing alike.

"Being Compared to" and calling two things "comparable" are not the same thing

Which I said

Again, your reading comprehension is terrible

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

You are silly to think Mayfield will be better than or even equal to Tyrod by the start of the regular season. Not sure if you are serious or trolling.

As far as the article stating the Browns should declare Mayfield the starter right now shows the author may even have a lower football IQ than you uticaclub.

I can’t tell if you are being serious. The Browns just signed Jarvis Landry to a large contract, a quick, short yardage, timing route WR, a target Tyrod can’t hit. Tyrod is there to be a mentor and bring veteran leadership.

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

I wanted Hue over Rex when the Bills hired Rex...I now see the Bills couldn't have made a good choice with either finalist...Its not this decision alone its the way he has to grab attention and use his media friends to feed his ego.  Give me an understated, humble coach.

I think Hue plus Schwartz would have us in the playoffs in 2015.  The Browns situation is a train wreck.

and I thought it was nuts we got a 3rd for Tyrod but they should let him start.  Let Baker learn on the bench and then halfway through the season when Tyrod isn’t throwing the ball to his really good wrs, Baker will get his shot.  Honestly, it is a perfect situation for him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hue keeps doubling down saying it won’t happen. QB controversy will be fierce if Baker looks that much better and they don’t play him. 

I prefer the way our FO and coaching staff appears to be handling this matter. Hue is painting himself into a corner unnecessarily.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I think it's pretty reasonable to think Mayfield could equal or best Taylor in camp and preseason, like a Wilson/Flynn situation except Mayfield was #1 overall and if things look even between him and Taylor that's added incentive to give him the nod. There's no institutional loyalty to Taylor in Cleveland.

The difference is Flynn had no real body of work as a starting quarterback for any length of time while Taylor had 3 years worth.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Dalton said:

I agree the better player should start.  The question is can Mayfield prove he can read defenses while playing generic pre-season defenses?

On the other hand can you learn from the bench?

Proving he can read defenses/recognize disguises/etc. would have to be done in the film room. No one can say for sure until he's under center in live game conditions, but he can certainly show in the film room that he's put the work in beforehand.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hue keeps doubling down saying it won’t happen. QB controversy will be fierce if Baker looks that much better and they don’t play him. 

...maybe why Hugh is 1-31?.....I'd bet 3-45 would be an improvement for Haslam.....

Here is a bet:

I'm betting somewhere between now and the end of this football season, SI runs an article about the ratio of turnovers to touchdowns/likely victories in the NFL, using Tyrod Taylor w/Cleveland and Buffalo without Tyrod Taylor as the basis for the case study.

And I'm betting that the odds of that article running triples if Josh Allen starts in Buffalo before game 4. 

I'll go one further: I'm betting you see something like that article from ... let's say every GD'd football outlet in football until you are so sick of it ... that it makes whatever MMQB just vomited on it's page in order to seem relevant is a distant memory.

It might surprise people in Buffalo, but Cleveland wants to go to the playoffs this year. Tyrod gives them not a good chance, but an excellent chance to do that. Hue Jackson's stand is proper and reasoned. There is no reason to create a QB controversy where one doesn't exist. Unless of course it's so MMQB can get more clicks.

PS: I'm easily the biggest Mayfield fan here and called him to be the #1 draft pick long before it was fashionable, and regardless of my online name I'm not THAT big a fan of Tyrod Taylor.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Eh I get it. Mayfield comes from a spread offense and needs to work on his footwork. They don't need to rush him into the starting spot, they can afford to spend at least half a season developing him. The Browns aren't good yet. They're paying Tyrod $16 million to be a capable bridge starter. I kind of wish we would do a similar thing with Allen.

Plus, Taylor is arguably just the sort of QB the Browns need right now - one who protects the ball and doesn't make many mistakes.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, grb said:

When Taylor had a comparable amount of offensive talent around him in Buffalo as now in Cleveland?

He finished seventh in the NFL by passer rating - ahead of Cam Newton, Matthew Stafford, Alex Smith, Ben Roethlisberger, etc, etc.

Maybe that's worth considering too.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/year/2015

That's wonderful, a similar passer rating.

Hey, folks now a days you can win games with passer ratings. Dont worry about only throwing 14 TDs this past season, Buffalo is going to be awarded wins based on Tyrod taking safe conservative throws. Those sub 70 yard passing games and being in the top three in sacks despite being behind one of the best rated lines, those dont mean anything, cause Tyrod is in the class of those aforementioned QBs.

The Browns were originally going to trade us their first rounder, cause ya know, Tyrod has a good passer rating, but Beane felt bad so he took a third instead.

Edited by BillsFan17
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, grb said:

When Taylor had a comparable amount of offensive talent around him in Buffalo as now in Cleveland?

He finished seventh in the NFL by passer rating - ahead of Cam Newton, Matthew Stafford, Alex Smith, Ben Roethlisberger, etc, etc.

Maybe that's worth considering too.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/year/2015

Stats are for losers.

• Like (+1) 1