MMQB: Why the Browns are making a mistake with Baker Mayfield (by starting Tyrod)

I like TBD so much more than I did BBMB, but one thing I think BBMB had right that this forum gets wrong is that there isn't a separate forum for "all things NFL" from "Bills talk only" so that everyone else doesn't need to be subjected to even seeing some of the ridiculous discussions unfolding that aren't even related to the present Buffalo Bills.

You guys need to move on.

Why do you devote so much damn time talking about if Tyrod is named the starter for the Browns or loses the starting job for the Browns?

Are you people NFL or NBA fans?

If you're NFL fans, you care more about the name on the front of the jersey than on the back...

Tyrod's no longer a Buffalo Bill... he plays for a different team.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

SCOUT'S NOTEBOOK
Browns fans wouldn't be happy about it, but Cleveland would be best served with Tyrod Taylor as its starting QB through all of 2018, writes Bucky Brooks. Plus, a look at the odd safety market.

THREE AND OUT: Quick takes on big developments across the league

1) The right choice in the Tyrod vs. Baker debate. I know it's only a matter of time before Baker Mayfield becomes the QB1 for the Cleveland Browns, but the team would be best served by allowing Tyrod Taylor to start for the entire 2018 season.

On 5/24/2018 at 11:56 AM, billspro said:

That is a rough first day. He had the easiest windows to throw to in the entire draft class. It will be interesting to see how he handles better defences. 

Looks like Allen is having a much better first day! Hopefully that continues.

Sounds like the Browns press is really high on Landry:

https://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/05/cleveland_browns_ota_scribbles.html

Also have Baker with the 3rd right now

On 5/12/2018 at 2:31 PM, Bobby Hooks said:

I’ve never understood the reasoning behind making a player wait if they’re the obvious winners in training camp. 

Its an archaic way of running a team. There’s no set blueprint. Some players benefit from sitting, some don’t. Forcing a player to sit “just because” it’s myopia at its finest. 

If you win the job you should play. 

Agree most of the time.  Exceptions would be Carr in Houston.  I agree unless the young QB is going to be ruined or get injured due to no Oline.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/24/2018 at 11:37 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess there can be disagreement on this point. 

I personally hypothesize he was injured a lot because his off-season training was focused on minimizing body fat and maximizing his musculature for long jump, and he did nothing that would particularly help him as a wide receiver such as improving his route running ability or ability to actually make catches.  I also think he was worried about receiving or exacerbating injuries that would interfere with his Olympic dreams in long jump so he wouldn't play through stuff other guys would.

After Rio passed him up, I think he got serious about focusing football that last season in B'lo and off-season, and it began to show results in SF.  Also per SF roster, he's gained about 5 lbs since his Olympian days.  For him that is 3% of his body weight, maybe that 3% can make a difference, don't know.

I believe he exploited the Bills to fund his Olympic dreams and I'm salty about it, but I also have to acknowledge that the Bills FO and coaches at the time enabled this.

Ive always been on the fence with just how much it effected him.

for instance, if he’s working on his speed and explosion - doesn’t that translate to WR skills? 

Or you mentioned his hands- were they ever a problem?  

Just now, NoSaint said:

Ive always been on the fence with just how much it effected him.

for instance, if he’s working on his speed and explosion - doesn’t that translate to WR skills? 

Or you mentioned his hands- were they ever a problem?  

I thought he kind of had stone hands and could only catch perfectly placed balls.  Perhaps I am mistaken.

I see your point about speed and explosion, but I think one reason guys who are "fast in shorts" don't always make it in the NFL is that straight-line speed and explosion don't help you as much as great balance and the ability to cut easily and "fake out" DBs or out-muscle them on the line - things that may, or may not, be developed when working on straight line speed and explosion.