Tony Garcia OT Released By Pats

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No, I think that's what you said. You said they aren't afraid to cut players, even high picks. My point is if they have to cut high picks maybe they aren't that good at scouting?

All teams miss on high picks.  Every single gm ever.  Realizing your mistake and moving on is part of what separates men from boys.  Most gm’s stick with their high picks who are underperforming because they are aftraid of the media blowback and assumptions people will make.  Kinda like your assumption.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Question: do team doctors actually clear people who are taking anticoagulant medications (blood thinners) or clot busters (TPA I assum you mean?) to play contact sports like football?

That seems like a stunningly bad idea to me

Well like I said I'm not a doc so I don't know. But I believe that once they dissolve many people don't stay on the blood thinner (Coumadin?) and go back on the meds only if the condition recurs. In other words if he falls into that group you wouldn't have to worry about him bleeding out if he broke the skin while playing, assuming that was the concern. And football isn't like boxing or the octagon either. Of course the condition might have other potentially negative consequences for a professional athlete playing a contact sport (stroke, cerebral hemorrhage?) so idk.

Anyway I'll be interested to see if he signs with another team. If not one would have to assume that his particular condition isn't safe for football players to have. It's a shame really. This guy had the makings of a good OT, would have been schooled by one of the best in the business in Dante, and would definitely have gotten his shot with Solder gone. I feel for the guy, he's said to be a great kid too.

1 hour ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Blood clots in your lungs aren't anything that you can just get over.  It is usually has an underlying lifelong issue, and requires blood thinners.  Playing pro football while on blood thinners isn't gonna be okayed by a doctor.  

Thats not necessarily true. Lots of people go on blood thinners for 6 months and then come off, assuming you can find the underlying cause for the initial event. A young otherwise healthy guy was likely trauma vs. hypercoag state. If he's got a hypercoaguable state that could be a problem if he needs lifelong anticoag.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Thats not necessarily true. Lots of people go on blood thinners for 6 months and then come off, assuming you can find the underlying cause for the initial event. A young otherwise healthy guy was likely trauma vs. hypercoag state. If he's got a hypercoaguable state that could be a problem if he needs lifelong anticoag.

I was a young otherwise healthy guy,  and my first PE revealed a lifelong need for blood thinners.  That's the perspective I am coming from.  I was told I needed to change everything,  including careers. I understand there are other things that can cause the issue,  and will defer to your knowledge on the topic if you are an MD!

2 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I can’t wait to see a thread for every single player released this offseason. Should be a real hoot

Really what we need is a few more Josh Allen threads.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's a sign of genius!

Exactly, making bad picks and giving up quickly makes them great.

Have the Pats ever released a prospect or relatively young player that went on to another franchise and become a star or serviceable player? I'm not saying a FA they chose not to sign. Can't think of any off the top of my head.

Edited by billsbackto81

15 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

No, I think that's what you said. You said they aren't afraid to cut players, even high picks. My point is if they have to cut high picks maybe they aren't that good at scouting?

Promo despite your constant attempts to show us the Patriots are not that special they keep being in the AFC Title game at worst every year. 

I actually did a rundown of their drafting a few weeks back and since 2014 their record in the draft ain't that great. But they crushed it from about 2008-2014 finding 3 or 4 players who were serious contributers every single year. 

It gets a bit tiresome when every post about the Patriots comes with a barb about "look they are not that special". Let's beat them first and then say that. Until you beat the bully you keep your mouth shut and keep working to surpass them. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Promo despite your constant attempts to show us the Patriots are not that special they keep being in the AFC Title game at worst every year. 

I actually did a rundown of their drafting a few weeks back and since 2014 their record in the draft ain't that great. But they crushed it from about 2008-2014 finding 3 or 4 players who were serious contributers every single year. 

It gets a bit tiresome when every post about the Patriots comes with a barb about "look they are not that special". Let's beat them first and then say that. Until you beat the bully you keep your mouth shut and keep working to surpass them. 

Yes. I'm the only one on TBD who is so unfair to the poor disrespected Patriots. <_<

It amazes me how many people worship the Pats on a Bills forum, and look past all the questions that surround that team.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes. I'm the only one on TBD who is so unfair to the poor disrespected Patriots. <_<

It amazes me how many people worship the Pats on a Bills forum, and look past all the questions that surround that team.

Worship? No. Look past the question marks? No. Respect and take an objective view? Yes. 

I don't let the fact I dislike them impinge on my ability to discuss them sensibly. 

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Worship? No. Look past the question marks? No. Respect and take an objective view? Yes. 

I don't let the fact I dislike them impinge on my ability to discuss them sensibly. 

Facts can be subjective. Personally anytime an athlete or team has an extended run of dominating performance that obliterates the previous standard of excellence, it raises my suspicions.

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Facts can be subjective. Personally anytime an athlete or team has an extended run of dominating performance that obliterates the previous standard of excellence, it raises my suspicions.

And there are suspiscions, well documented ones, around the Patriots. But if you honestly think they are only good because they find ways to bend and break the rules you are way off. Best Quarterback ever, best coach ever. 

[This is an automated response]As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.Thank you.

On 5/12/2018 at 12:26 PM, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Just about any OTs with an upside should be given a look.  Mills has got to go.  The question is why the Pats would cut him.

If Belicheat could bench Malcom Butler in the SB for no apparent reason, then their cutting Garcia is PFTC.

21 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

I was a young otherwise healthy guy,  and my first PE revealed a lifelong need for blood thinners.  That's the perspective I am coming from.  I was told I needed to change everything,  including careers. I understand there are other things that can cause the issue,  and will defer to your knowledge on the topic if you are an MD!

He is. notice the avatar

: )

Glad you are able to keep your coagulation in check !!

as mentioned. clot breaking is some crazy stuff. But it could be a focused treatment and then no more anti Coagulants. But would of course need monitoring.

Co worker my age found out he had clots in his lungs. His back and chest pain sent him for diagnosis. He is no longer taking medicine for his condition.

simple enough though, if he is on thinners and blockers no way he plays football again.

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Facts can be subjective? Facts are facts. A team's record is not subjective as you perceive it to be. It is a cold hard fact. You can be suspicious as much as you want to be. That's your issue. The record of the Bills and Pats are established facts that won't change. You make excuses when the Bills lose and you make excuses when the Pats win. And the beat goes on. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And there are suspiscions, well documented ones, around the Patriots. But if you honestly think they are only good because they find ways to bend and break the rules you are way off. Best Quarterback ever, best coach ever. 

So basically you are saying because they are good, the shady stuff is forgivable? If they are the best, why do those things at all? Of course you are willing to look past it all. I'm not.