Tony Garcia OT Released By Pats

Patriots have released OT Tony Garcia for NFI. He was Pats 3rd round pick (85 overall) in 2017 out of Troy and was considered an outstanding prospect and probable Solder replacement. Didn't see the field in 2017 because they found blood clots in his lungs. According to the player he was given a clean bill of health and the green light to resume football activities a few months ago. Kid wants to play and the thinking is he will be pursuing his career with another team. Could that team be the Bills?

Edited by starrymessenger

10 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Patriots have released OT Tony Garcia for NFI. He was Pats 3rd round pick (85 overall) in 2017 out of Troy and was considered an outstanding prospect and probable Solder replacement. Didn't see the field in 2017 because they found blood clots in his lungs. According to the player he was given a clean bill of health and the green light to resume football activities a few months ago. Kid wants to play and the thinking is he will be pursuing his career with another team. Could that team be the Bills?

...with their OL hardly being stellar, it doesn't make much sense if they traded up to get him...........

The Patriots traded up to snag Garcia in the third round of last year's draft but he never saw the field in New England, missing his entire rookie season while battling blood clots in his lungs. The 24-year-old is finally healthy but needs to gain back weight after losing 40 pounds during his illness. Despite his health issues, it shouldn't take Garcia long to resurface. May 11 - 1:24 PM

I think McDermott is the more interesting player with a better chance to make it at this point. Garcia was considered somewhat undersized at tackle going into the draft and he often played at like 280. Losing 40 pounds is pretty significant. I'd take a shot on the guy for sure, but he has an uphill battle in front of him, hasn't played a down and is already 24 years old. Older, small school player, who is undersized and coming off a significant weight loss is a long shot. But I like his potential and he is certainly worth a look. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Just about any OTs with an upside should be given a look.  Mills has got to go.  The question is why the Pats would cut him.

It would appear that the Pats doctors failed him but that his own doctors had recently given him a clean bill of health. He has lost weight (at 6'6" 300 lbs when drafted he was already needing to bulk up) but the weight loss was not illness related but because he was the unable to practice. Looks like the Pats lost patience and there is some speculation that they would take the cap savings and maybe bring him back later. 

Im not a doc but I thought his condition could be managed with blood thinning clot busters and regular oversight. At least that's been my experience with people who have had this condition.

21 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

It would appear that the Pats doctors failed him but that his own doctors had recently given him a clean bill of health. He has lost weight (at 6'6" 300 lbs when drafted he was already needing to bulk up) but the weight loss was not illness related but because he was the unable to practice. Looks like the Pats lost patience and there is some speculation that they would take the cap savings and maybe bring him back later. 

Im not a doc but I thought his condition could be managed with blood thinning clot busters and regular oversight. At least that's been my experience with people who have had this condition.

Maybe. If he needs to continue using blood thinners, playing a game where you bang heads isn’t a good idea and could end up with a brain bleed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

dont know anything about this guy but the Pats waiving their 3rd round pick is part of why they are successful.  Once a guy is on their team, they are all judged equally, perform and work or get cut.  Most other teams will not waive last years 3rd round pick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...with their OL hardly being stellar, it doesn't make much sense if they traded up to get him...........

The Patriots traded up to snag Garcia in the third round of last year's draft but he never saw the field in New England, missing his entire rookie season while battling blood clots in his lungs. The 24-year-old is finally healthy but needs to gain back weight after losing 40 pounds during his illness. Despite his health issues, it shouldn't take Garcia long to resurface. May 11 - 1:24 PM

It's a sign of genius!

48 minutes ago, mattynh said:

dont know anything about this guy but the Pats waiving their 3rd round pick is part of why they are successful.  Once a guy is on their team, they are all judged equally, perform and work or get cut.  Most other teams will not waive last years 3rd round pick.

Exactly, making bad picks and giving up quickly makes them great.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Question: do team doctors actually clear people who are taking anticoagulant medications (blood thinners) or clot busters (TPA I assum you mean?) to play contact sports like football?

That seems like a stunningly bad idea to me

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

Maybe. If he needs to continue using blood thinners, playing a game where you bang heads isn’t a good idea and could end up with a brain bleed. 

Not just a brain bleed, an anywhere bleed.  Picture that gimondulous thigh bruise JJ Watt tweeted a photo of after FredEx pwned him with a block a few years back.

Now picture it just growing and growing and turning into compartment syndrome and emergency surgery.

18 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Uh no not what I said at all, try again

No, I think that's what you said. You said they aren't afraid to cut players, even high picks. My point is if they have to cut high picks maybe they aren't that good at scouting?

• Like (+1) 1

Blood clots in your lungs aren't anything that you can just get over.  It is usually has an underlying lifelong issue, and requires blood thinners.  Playing pro football while on blood thinners isn't gonna be okayed by a doctor.  

• Like (+1) 1