Bills need to contact dez

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s kind of the point. Dez is nowhere near the player that he was. He’s somewhere between a 2 and 4 now with attitude issues. He’d be near the top of the Bills depth chart because of the lack of talent. In Atlanta he’d be 4th or 5th. It just depends on the roster.

But apart from wasting cap money what do you gain from Dez? I'd rather just roll over the cap money than waste it on Dez.

4 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Declining talent and Cowherd was on the air yesterday saying Dez killed his value further by displaying his attitude during the Amazon taping of the Cowboys.

Has anyone watched it? Cowherd said he was terrible.

I don't think he was that bad. He was a bit independent and wanting the ball thrown his way, plus he was moaning and talking garbage, but he didn't really come across as having an attitude problem. Plus, it's edited for TV, they are going to show the more interesting bits.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Neither?  What you guys love zay that much?  

No, it's not that we all love Zay, but at some point players are cooked.

Dez, Decker, Maclin - all cooked. Stick a fork in them.

This team is building for the future, not looking for other teams all-pros from 5 years ago.

Edited by RocCityRoller

3 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

No, it's not that we all love Zay, but at some point players are cooked.

Dez, Decker, Maclin - all cooked. Stick a fork in them.

This team is building for the future, not looking for other teams all-pros from 5 years ago.

...LMAO....yet the "bring him in" name infatuation lives on.....even Jurrah doesn't want Dez....what the hell does THAT tell you?.....good Lord.............

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mountain Man said:

But apart from wasting cap money what do you gain from Dez? I'd rather just roll over the cap money than waste it on Dez.

It comes back to where the Bills think they are. If they think they can be a playoff team again, it might be worth the gamble. If they don’t expect that they should absolutely not bring him in. I’m totally indifferent on it one way or another.

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It comes back to where the Bills think they are. If they think they can be a playoff team again, it might be worth the gamble. If they don’t expect that they should absolutely not bring him in. I’m totally indifferent on it one way or another.

I think Beane is thinking of playoffs this year the same way as last.  If the Bills can take the roster of players they have and achieve with them, Great!

But he's not going to burn a roster spot on a "one year deal" player on the downhill side of his career trajectory in preference to keeping an additional young player who might develop if given the reps, any more than he did for guys who were already here and contributing (Watkins and Dareus) but who didn't have the leadership qualities they wanted from their stars long-term.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Beane is thinking of playoffs this year the same way as last.  If the Bills can take the roster of players they have and achieve with them, Great!

But he's not going to burn a roster spot on a "one year deal" player on the downhill side of his career trajectory in preference to keeping an additional young player who might develop if given the reps.

Why? He has already done that this year (see: Newhouse, Marshall). If he’s thinking playoffs than adding better players (even a declining Dez) is important. If they are working towards the future let the young guys get the reps. 

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Why? He has already done that this year (see: Newhouse, Marshall). If he’s thinking playoffs than adding better players (even a declining Dez) is important. If they are working towards the future let the young guys get the reps. 

I'm a little confused why you feel signing a lunchpail vet for RT depth (Marshall Newhouse), for just a scoootch over vet minimum plus a relatively small bonus, is analogous to signing Dez Bryant for the $6-7M he reportedly wants?

On the one hand, you're bringing in guys who can fill out the roster at positions of need.

On the other hand, you're bringing in a fading star with a rep as a bit of a diva that you have to throw $$ at.

Doesn't seem like the same thing to me.  But that could just be me.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm a little confused why you feel signing a lunchpail vet for RT depth (Marshall Newhouse), for just a scoootch over vet minimum plus a relatively small bonus, is analogous to signing Dez Bryant for the $6-7M he reportedly wants?

On the one hand, you're bringing in guys who can fill out the roster at positions of need.

On the other hand, you're bringing in a fading star with a rep as a bit of a diva that you have to throw $$ at.

Doesn't seem like the same thing to me.  But that could just be me.

It’s just you. The cap is totally irrelevant at this point. The Bills will have TONS of cap space in 2019 regardless of the rollover. It’s a matter of, “do you think Dez can help you?” If the answer is “yes” then you should sign him. If you don’t think that he makes you better don’t add him. It comes back to “what is the goal for 2018?”

28 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s just you. The cap is totally irrelevant at this point. The Bills will have TONS of cap space in 2019 regardless of the rollover. It’s a matter of, “do you think Dez can help you?” If the answer is “yes” then you should sign him. If you don’t think that he makes you better don’t add him. It comes back to “what is the goal for 2018?”

To my observations, the first question they ask is - “ is this guy a McBeane type guy?”. If the answer is “no” then I don’t think it matters how much skill he has, I don’t think they will sign him.

Dez is not a McBeane type guy

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Kirby, I'm not sure the cap is irrelevant.

Spotrac shows us as having $16M cap, not including our $9.6M draft pool cap. 

But, we have two fairly high first round rookies. 

Forbes estimates $21M of signing bonuses for them ($13.6 to Josh, $7.4 to Tremaine).  That's $6M when amortized over 4 years.

Maybe another $1M salary for Allen and $0.5M for Edmunds.  Total $7.5M

Maybe $3M cap this year for the rest, depending upon bonus/salary split?

So now we're down to $5.5M cap.  That's not a lot of cap to leave free for perhaps another FA or two who might be cut in Sept or a trade we need to make, perhaps to fill in for injury.

I guess another way to look at it is, to sign a player like Dez, Beane would have to be very confident that the help Dez could provide would be significantly greater than the potential help provided if we have an injury and a chance to mitigate that with a trade or cutoffbin signing.

Or maybe my calculations are off

Has anybody watched the Amazon Prime series "All or Nothing?" Great behind the scenes look at what goes with an NFL team over the course of an entire league year. They profiled the Cardinals in 2016, which was a fun watch considering how entertaining Bruce Arians can be. 2017 was the Rams and for this year they profiled the Cowboys. 

A few things I took from that show in regards to Dez... first, nobody can say the guy isn't a competitor. All he wants to do is win. Win the games, win his one-on-one match-ups both in the games and in practices. At times he shows flashes of what he did when he was still considered a top five WR in the league. Aside from that... he really seems to struggle to stay focused.

He's also a player with what appears to be a rather fragile ego. At one point, he's in the film room with his coach and the other receivers and the coach is talking about the secondary of the team they're facing that week, I forget who, but he's singing their praises. "This is a tough group, they're big, they're fast" blah blah blah all that stuff. Dez blurts out something like, "Damn coach, how 'bout a little positive recognition for us, huh? You always hyping these guys up, what about us? We gon' ball, c'mon, how 'bout a little credit?" I'm paraphrasing... poorly, I'm sure. But you get it. The coach responded like, "Well, I'm not taking anything away from you guys, this is just the reality, this is a good group and if we aren't on our A-game-" Dez cuts in, "We always on our game, c'mon!" Coach continues, "If we aren't at our best, these guys can shut us down." He goes on to apologize to Dez if he made him feel a certain way. He even asks Dez, "Well, how would you prefer I phrase this stuff? What would be a better, more positive way for me to get my messages across?" Dez mumbles something we can't hear. Coach says, "What's that? I'm listening, what do you think would work better?" Dez mumbles some more and finally just says, "Man, I don't know."

Dez also could not let it go when a rookie CB was talking trash. Dez wanted to line up and run some one-on-one's against him, which they allowed. First pass was off-target. Second pass, Dez straight up shoves the CB away as he hits his break, flag would've been thrown for offensive PI in the game. But Dez caught it and then whipped it at the rookie all like, "Yeah, see, I told you, I told you!" And he was just jawing at him for the rest of the practice. It's like, man, shut the hell up. So yeah, I just don't think Dez is a "process" guy. Nor would he be worth the money given where his talent level is at right now.

The other thing I took from that show is that Jason Garrett is very close to claiming the title of "Weasel-Faced Jagoff Coach I Can't Friggin' Stand More Than Any Other Coach," a title that currently belongs to Bellychix. Garrett though... you can tell he's got like, no pull in that organization. The Jones family rules with an iron first and Garrett strikes me as just another "yes man" carrying out their orders. The dude barks and curses like he's some hard-nosed tough guy but it all seems so forced and disingenuous. Whenever Jones finally decides to can the dude, I'd be almost shocked if the guy ever gets another head coaching gig in the league. 

Edited by blacklabel