Flashback Friday!

So here is a fun thing I want to try to keep going until we get to pre-season. Every Friday we flashback to a season and comment on what you remember from that you that was memorable good or bad. To kick it off lets focus on the Bills 1998 season.

For me the biggest thing I remember from that season is the game against JAX where at the end Flutie leads the game winning drive and on 4th down does a QB roll out to score the TD. If I am not mistake JAX was undefeated at the time and for Buffalo a win would get them back to .500. The excitement from the game just seemed to bleed over to the rest of the year. Looking back at the video highlights it looked like one of those games you wished you were at.

• Like (+1) 1

Walking, what seemed forever, from my Uncle's house on B St. in the city to War Memorial Stadium in the late '60's and early '70's, it wasn't safe to park near there.

There were no nets when extra points and FG's were kicked and it was a free for all to get the football. Watched Joe Namath, and O.J. who looked like a bust then.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ifartalot said:

Walking, what seemed forever, from my Uncle's house on B St. in the city to War Memorial Stadium in the late '60's and early '70's, it wasn't safe to park near there.

There were no nets when extra points and FG's were kicked and it was a free for all to get the football. Watched Joe Namath, and O.J. who looked like a bust then.

•  

I remember those days fondly, the end zones were fun to watch, always some action! Some great memories in the Rockpile!

27 minutes ago, corta765 said:

So here is a fun thing I want to try to keep going until we get to pre-season. Every Friday we flashback to a season and comment on what you remember from that you that was memorable good or bad. To kick it off lets focus on the Bills 1998 season.

For me the biggest thing I remember from that season is the game against JAX where at the end Flutie leads the game winning drive and on 4th down does a QB roll out to score the TD. If I am not mistake JAX was undefeated at the time and for Buffalo a win would get them back to .500. The excitement from the game just seemed to bleed over to the rest of the year. Looking back at the video highlights it looked like one of those games you wished you were at.

I remember losing to the Dolphins in the playoffs and Jimmy Johnson smashing a box of Flutie Flakes in the locker room afterwards 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I remember losing to the Dolphins in the playoffs and Jimmy Johnson smashing a box of Flutie Flakes in the locker room afterwards 

Haha after the Dolphins game I grabbed my dolphins trading cards I had and was about to start ripping them up in anger but my Dad wouldnt let me haha (glory days of being a 10 year old)

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I broke my lamp the night of Wide Right.  I was 8.  

I shattered the remote control on wide right...and I was 32 :o

As for 1998, I just remember Flutie fumbling the ball on a sack at the five-yard line at the end of that playoff game (wasting a great game by Eric Moulds)...

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 3

The first Monday Football Game in Buffalo and Don Meredith, Howard Cosell,  and Frank Gifford outside the broadcast booth playing to the crowd; BTW OJ reached 1000 yards in game 7 on the 1973 season! Lot's of energy that night! 

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

Good idea I like this!

I remember the 1998 season and my uncle and I going to Buffalo from New Jersey as the 0-3 Bills hosted the 4-0 49ers who were rolling with Steve Young. Rob Johnson had in my mind his best game as a Bill and I remember SF was called for 22 penalties and the Bills stunned SF. Got the ball rolling for the amazing recovery to make the playoffs that season.

• Like (+1) 2

I do remember the Jets clinching the AFC East with a win here. Though Flutie and Thurman had a sweet touchdown in the first half they they kinda winged at the last second.

That year was kinda the year for retreads, Flutie here and Vinny with the Jets

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

I was at that game.  Wowzer!  Very exciting finish and the loudest I ever heard the Ralph get.

On 5/11/2018 at 8:31 AM, corta765 said:

OMG Rob Johnson.  I was probably the minority, but I wished if they thought he was the man (why they traded for him) they should just let him play.  I mean, maybe he was a statue out there, but just work with the guy, try to figure out what he can and can't do, don't do this on-again-off-again QB switcheroo.

I feel that continues to the present day, we don't try to develop QB we're like 4 games - get the hook

• Like (+1) 1

1998 - Flutie and a really good D and supporting cast.

2 games in particular i remember.

Game 4 vs 49ers.  Bills came in 0-3. Looked like a blood bath waiting to happen.  On the way to game, wife and her cousin are discussing where to meet up if we get way behind.  I would hAve none of that.  Rob Johnson and the Bills jumped on 'em getting ahead 20 zip at the half. Steve Young got hot in garbage time  but Bills hang on 26-21.

Game 16 at Saints - we wanted to go to a Flutie game.  I got tickets to final game. But wouldn't you know it, the Bills had our spot locked in so Flutie didn't play. It was fun watching Mike Ditka patrolling thE Saints sidelines.  Bills whooped up.

• Like (+1) 1