Buffalo Bills get UDFA steal in OT Ike Boettger from Iowa

12 minutes ago, colin said:

if he's too hurt to play/practice, he'd just go on our practice squad, right?

I really think the NFL should allow a larger roster, it doesn't make the game better to have some guy come off the couch not knowing the play book to long snap or play RT or whatever in week 9.

Negative.  If he's too hurt for preseason activities, he goes on PUP (physically unable to perform).  During the regular season it's IR

Practice squad is the guys who make up the scout team during the week and are ready to be brought up to the active roster if needed - no room for injuries there.

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

Secrets???  You mean holding and having the refs look the other way?   Not much of a secret ;)

That's part of it, but without knowing your assignment you're not in the right place to hold, and without having good fundamentals the guy you hold just runs over you.

Every year the Pats** seem to take scraps and cutoffs and I look and chortle and say "Brady gonna hurt!  OOooh, Brady be hurtin'!

Every year the Pats** then proceed to somehow form good line from them.

I think they know something (besides holding) we could learn, that's all.

I know, Their oline coach actually does a pretty good job, Brady does take hits, but he's so good at getting the ball out quick and recognizing the coverage, their offense is hard to beat even with the revolving door at oline. 

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

very interesting. i can't wait to see who takes that spot.

i really think (if they gel rather quickly and not play musical chairs like last year), that we could end up having a very good line. it could go dawkins / teller / bodine / groy / newhouse and we could be very solid, or at least much better in pass pro.

the combo of ducasse / mills killed that last year and with bosa's remarks after the la game, mills should have never taken a snap at rt.

the big plus is dennison is gone. i still don't get the love for juan.

Bodine is bad at C. I’d try him at OG to see if taking snapping duties away helps.  I think Groy starts there. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting find, thanks!

I guess it depends what the Achilles injury was.  Aren't those some of the most problematic to come back from?

Not anymore. 

The more oline bodies the better.  Ill be rooting for him.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Bodine is bad at C. I’d try him at OG to see if taking snapping duties away helps.  I think Groy starts there. 

Not anymore. 

I remember Achilles injuries being a death sentence.  Do you know whats changed medically to help these guys?

11 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

I remember Achilles injuries being a death sentence.  Do you know whats changed medically to help these guys?

Yeah it used to be a career killer. But like anything, over time techniques and equipment get better. 

8 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

I think Suggs has had two of them, i know Kyle has had at least one as well, his was a partial tear and they had to fully detach it then reattach.   Modern medicine is unreal, things that 30 years ago ended careers are now 10 month recoveries. 

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

I think Suggs has had two of them, i know Kyle has had at least one as well, his was a partial tear and they had to fully detach it then reattach.   Modern medicine is unreal, things that 30 years ago ended careers are now 10 month recoveries. 

Very true.  Just curious on what they were doing different.  

Just now, Skins Malone said:

Very true.  Just curious on what they were doing different.  

I have no idea.  Better techniques to attach the ligaments, better rehab processes, everything is just better I guess but at the same time, i believe they are using things like PEDs or stem cells as well, that's not based on first hand knowledge just my opinion. 

13 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

https://nflmocks.com/2018/05/10/buffalo-bills-get-udfa-steal-ot-ike-boettger-iowa/

The Buffalo Bills may have made one of the best undrafted free agent pickups in Iowa offensive tackle Ike Boettger, who is coming off of an injury…

The Iowa Hawkeyes are nothing if not consistent, especially when it comes to cranking out NFL-caliber offensive line talent.

Head coach Kirk Ferentz was an offensive line coach in the NFL and has brought a pro-style approach to Iowa City, where the Hawkeyes have coached and developed some of the best linemen in the NFL.

Most recently, the Hawkeyes put center James Daniels into the league, the 39th overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft to the Chicago Bears.

Daniels, only 20, grew into one of the best centers in college football in no time.

This piece is not meant to highlight Daniels but a former teammate of his at Iowa, Ike Boettger.

Who is Ike Boettger?

I’m glad you asked.

Boettger was slated to be the Hawkeyes’ starting right tackle in 2017 before an Achilles injury shortened his season to less than two full games.

Able to play both right and left tackle, Boettger will be able to come in and compete right away for a Bills offensive line that no longer includes Cordy Glenn.

Boettger is built with NFL size for the tackle position, checking in at Iowa’s pro day at 6-foot-6, 313 pounds.

If Boettger can stay healthy, I think he has a chance to contribute as the Bills’ swing tackle right away and could compete to be their starting right tackle as soon as 2019.

If he had been able to play a full season in 2017, I have no doubt he would have elevated his draft stock, potentially as high as a late day-two selection, or perhaps early day three.

With the Bills’ youth offensively, the timing may be everything for Boettger. He’s got a chance to be a really good NFL player and I think he will prove that rather quickly in Buffalo.

Thanks for the info.  Hope he excels!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, colin said:

I really think the NFL should allow a larger roster, it doesn't make the game better to have some guy come off the couch not knowing the play book to long snap or play RT or whatever in week 9.

It didn't stop Billy Joe Hobert.

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I guess the Bills need a 103 man roster this year because the UDFA's are making the team.

Anyways, wake me up when even ONE of them makes the team.

I think the Foster kid has a real chance at reciever. He has to beat out the Streater, Reilly, Dupri types. 

I think Wallace or Carter could make the team at corner. They just need to beat out Pitts and Borders.  

Mat Boesen, who no one is talking about can play. He can get sacks, just a little undersized and would likely be a great special team player. Uphill battle, but he has a chance, probably have to beat out Fede or maybe someone like Vallejo. 

The linemen we are talking about have a chance because our depth there really isn't great. I think there is a chance one of them makes it.  

Obviously they wont all make it, but I could see some of these guys making the team for sure. 

37 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I guess the Bills need a 103 man roster this year because the UDFA's are making the team.

Anyways, wake me up when even ONE of them makes the team.

almost every year at least one UDFA makes the team so its not uncomon at all