Buffalo Bills get UDFA steal in OT Ike Boettger from Iowa

I think to look at this kid and Wyatt Teller to be starters any time soon is a true pipe dream. Usually, kids taken later than the third round are huge question marks and usually end up on the practice squad or as backups.

Buffalo just lost above average players at LT, LG, OC and that OG was an all-pro. Expecting a fifth-round draft pick to replace him is delusional. This reminds me of trading away All-pro LT Jason Peters and then attempting to replace him with Demtress Bell, a 7th round pick. 

Like Bill stated for almost two decades we Bills fans have watched regime after regime screw the pooch on wannabes for the O line that end up allowing the QB to get killed. He also might be right in the Bills having the #2 pick next year because of having the worst O line in the league...and this with a once in a lifetime QB with the most powerful arm the NFL has ever seen. 

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

I think to look at this kid and Wyatt Teller to be starters any time soon is a true pipe dream. Usually, kids taken later than the third round are huge question marks and usually end up on the practice squad or as backups.

Buffalo just lost above average players at LT, LG, OC and that OG was an all-pro. Expecting a fifth-round draft pick to replace him is delusional. This reminds me of trading away All-pro LT Jason Peters and then attempting to replace him with Demtress Bell, a 7th round pick. 

Like Bill stated for almost two decades we Bills fans have watched regime after regime screw the pooch on wannabes for the O line that end up allowing the QB to get killed. He also might be right in the Bills having the #2 pick next year because of having the worst O line in the league...and this with a once in a lifetime QB with the most powerful arm the NFL has ever seen. 

Disagree.  Boettger, yeah.

6 hours ago, Doc said:

I couldn't remember Paup's history so I looked it up and couldn't find much.  What I did find is he played for the Bills for only 3 seasons (1995-97, I thought it was much longer) and then retired after the 2000 season. 

Not sure about Paup, but pretty sure Takeo Spikes suffered one. I don't recall if it ended his career, but people are generally not the same after repair.

For some positions, it doesn't matter as much. Those who don't have to run much or very fast can maintain careers at this point. So an OL or a pocket QB could, but not so much a WR, RB, CB, or LB, for instance. Tyrod would be screwed if he ever had one.

Dan Marino had a pretty bad one, got it repaired, and continued to play for several seasons, but with a noticeable limp. But he was never a runner.

Edited by Rubes

7 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

we drafted one in 2010, Kyle Calloway (†), RT, in the seventh round in 2010, everyone thought he was a steal, but he couldn't make it to the regular roster. Let's hope this kid can help us at RT. 

OMG let's hope this story ends differently http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/former-hawkeye-kyle-calloway-killed-by-train-20160705

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

There is a difference between All-pro (poll of football writers) and Pro-bowl (vote of fans).  The former is considered a higher honor than the latter.

Richie Incognito and Eric Wood have both been to the pro-bowl (in Incognito's case multiple times).  Neither has been accorded all-pro honors.

Otherwise, bunch of good points.  At the present time, the Bills appear to me to have significantly under-invested in OL.  The only mitigating factor would be if they happen to have identified higher-talent guys who slid due to concerns that no longer apply such as injury or ??.  For example, 7th round pick Seantrel Henderson (from whom we got a season and a half before illness then weed-iness caught up to him)

Another point is that inexperience is cumultive on an OL, where your play depends very much on the play of the guy next to you.  So Dawkins might be fine next to Cog and Wood, but playing next to a rookie LG and a less experienced center maybe not so good.

22 hours ago, Doc said:

I couldn't remember Paup's history so I looked it up and couldn't find much.  What I did find is he played for the Bills for only 3 seasons (1995-97, I thought it was much longer) and then retired after the 2000 season. 

I found it. He tore his right Achilles tendon.

There are four positions from which I'd always like to have at least one play on the practice squad:

WR, RB, OT, CB

Uber athletic WRs and RBs that need some seasoning can gain it on the practice squad and be ready at a moment's notice to fill in on Sundays. Tackles can spend time in the weight room and going over the fine points of technique. Corners, you can never have enough of, so having an extra one ready to go on the PS is a good thing. 

So I hope Boettger DOES stick on the practice squad. I hope one or two of the many young WRs on the roster (McCloud, Proehl, Foster, Dupre, Reilly, etc) sticks, and I hope Levi Wallace from 'Bama sticks around if he doesn't make the 53.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:13 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There is a difference between All-pro (poll of football writers) and Pro-bowl (vote of fans).  The former is considered a higher honor than the latter.

Richie Incognito and Eric Wood have both been to the pro-bowl (in Incognito's case multiple times).  Neither has been accorded all-pro honors.

Otherwise, a bunch of good points.  At the present time, the Bills appear to me to have significantly under-invested in OL.  The only mitigating factor would be if they happen to have identified higher-talent guys who slid due to concerns that no longer apply such as injury or ??.  For example, 7th round pick Seantrel Henderson (from whom we got a season and a half before illness then weediness caught up to him)

Another point is that inexperience is cumulative on an OL, where your play depends very much on the play of the guy next to you.  So Dawkins might be fine next to Cog and Wood, but playing next to a rookie LG and a less experienced center maybe not so good.

I stand corrected on that all pro point and should have said pro bowler. Incognito was graded as the best lineman on the Bills and some sites have graded him as one of the top offensive guards in the league.

Nevertheless, I feel that Incognito elevated the play of Glenn, Woods, and Dawkins. I also think there will be a big problem with continuity along with a drop off in quality play with all the new, young players on that line.

Not to mention that I don't think very highly of the O line coach Juan Castillio who IMO is nowhere near as good as Kromer as a line coach nor as good as Anthony Lynn as a run game coordinator.     

All this just bothers me that yet another Bills regime would go into a season with a cast of young QB's on the roster and besides Dawkins some not very quality linemen. It remains to be seen what kind of play we will get from Dawkins this year. Hoping that line will be okay doesn't cut it in my view.

On 5/12/2018 at 2:59 PM, Nihilarian said:

Buffalo did not "lose" a LT; they traded a backup TD who has not played in 16 games since extension and no guarantee he will remain healthy and return to form.   His replacement seems to play as well.  And Jason Peters was willing to sit out until traded but fortunately we do not need to deal with that agent now for he is hell now.