Buffalo Bills get UDFA steal in OT Ike Boettger from Iowa

Watch the video.   He looks pretty good.  Gets pushed back into the QB too much - doesn't look strong enough to hold his ground. 

But watch how he's mastered his assignments.   He's good at handing off a pass rusher to the guard and picking it up the outside rush.   Also gets to the second level nicely in the run game.   Kind of guy who will do his job.  

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

What is surprising to me is the Bills start rookie canp today ans we have still yet to see the official UDFA signings. 

I think the two are related.  They have a bunch of guys invited in for tryouts, possibly waiting until they decide there.

6 hours ago, Skins Malone said:

Very true.  Just curious on what they were doing different.  

Found this, which was interesting.  Not sure how common it is.

http://www.stoneclinic.com/achilles-tendon

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Not bad. He needs to get stronger and it looks like he can be thrown off balance rather easily.

Right.   That plus his injury are why he wasn't drafted.   But he looks like a hard worker, knows his assignments and executes.   That's the kind of guy McDermott likes.  They'll work on his technique.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I think Suggs has had two of them, i know Kyle has had at least one as well, his was a partial tear and they had to fully detach it then reattach.   Modern medicine is unreal, things that 30 years ago ended careers are now 10 month recoveries. 

...didn't Takeo have one as well?......pretty sure he recovered and continued with Chargers.............

22 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah it used to be a career killer. But like anything, over time techniques and equipment get better. 

Rehab work and repair techniques.  Achilles tendons are low blood flow areas.  Your blood carries bodies that repair tissues. So that area needs to be stimulated early and often once repair is done.  Rehab consistency and focus is essential to successful repair.  Understanding it takes awhile and consistent pt even after feeling better is important and better understood.

23 hours ago, Doc said:

Bodine is bad at C. I’d try him at OG to see if taking snapping duties away helps.  I think Groy starts there. 

Not anymore. 

Doc, isn't that the injury that ended Bryce Paup's career? If so, I sure am glad that times have changed. I can only imagine the career Paup would have had.

It really would be a steal if this kid could develop into a RT. The Bills are coming dangerously close to becoming the Bills of yore with a piss poor OL. The young fans should take note of the 2017 Giants. They had an OL like we used to have and wound up drafting at #2.

On 5/11/2018 at 8:18 AM, Soda Popinski said:

Rooting for any and every Olineman we have under contract, we need 5 to step up and get the job done. 

im optimistic but at this point we only have Dawk and Groy for sure, maybe Vlad as the third starter.   If we can somehow pull off a good O-line by opening day I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

50 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Rehab work and repair techniques.  Achilles tendons are low blood flow areas.  Your blood carries bodies that repair tissues. So that area needs to be stimulated early and often once repair is done.  Rehab consistency and focus is essential to successful repair.  Understanding it takes awhile and consistent pt even after feeling better is important and better understood.

Yes rehab is key.

On 11/5/2018 at 9:16 AM, TigerJ said:

Iowa has long been considered OL U due to their head coach, Kirk Ferentz.

we drafted one in 2010, Kyle Calloway (†), RT, in the seventh round in 2010, everyone thought he was a steal, but he couldn't make it to the regular roster. Let's hope this kid can help us at RT. 

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Doc, isn't that the injury that ended Bryce Paup's career? If so, I sure am glad that times have changed. I can only imagine the career Paup would have had.

It really would be a steal if this kid could develop into a RT. The Bills are coming dangerously close to becoming the Bills of yore with a piss poor OL. The young fans should take note of the 2017 Giants. They had an OL like we used to have and wound up drafting at #2.

I couldn't remember Paup's history so I looked it up and couldn't find much.  What I did find is he played for the Bills for only 3 seasons (1995-97, I thought it was much longer) and then retired after the 2000 season.