Buffalo Bills get UDFA steal in OT Ike Boettger from Iowa

https://nflmocks.com/2018/05/10/buffalo-bills-get-udfa-steal-ot-ike-boettger-iowa/

The Buffalo Bills may have made one of the best undrafted free agent pickups in Iowa offensive tackle Ike Boettger, who is coming off of an injury…

The Iowa Hawkeyes are nothing if not consistent, especially when it comes to cranking out NFL-caliber offensive line talent.

Head coach Kirk Ferentz was an offensive line coach in the NFL and has brought a pro-style approach to Iowa City, where the Hawkeyes have coached and developed some of the best linemen in the NFL.

Most recently, the Hawkeyes put center James Daniels into the league, the 39th overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft to the Chicago Bears.

Daniels, only 20, grew into one of the best centers in college football in no time.

This piece is not meant to highlight Daniels but a former teammate of his at Iowa, Ike Boettger.

Who is Ike Boettger?

I’m glad you asked.

Boettger was slated to be the Hawkeyes’ starting right tackle in 2017 before an Achilles injury shortened his season to less than two full games.

Able to play both right and left tackle, Boettger will be able to come in and compete right away for a Bills offensive line that no longer includes Cordy Glenn.

Boettger is built with NFL size for the tackle position, checking in at Iowa’s pro day at 6-foot-6, 313 pounds.

If Boettger can stay healthy, I think he has a chance to contribute as the Bills’ swing tackle right away and could compete to be their starting right tackle as soon as 2019.

If he had been able to play a full season in 2017, I have no doubt he would have elevated his draft stock, potentially as high as a late day-two selection, or perhaps early day three.

With the Bills’ youth offensively, the timing may be everything for Boettger. He’s got a chance to be a really good NFL player and I think he will prove that rather quickly in Buffalo.

Edited by Peace Frog
  • Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Looks solid in the run game.  His pass blocking is below average. Instead of standing tall and absorbing the pass rusher he dips his shoulders and tries to deflect the pass rusher.  That might work with Big 10 DEs but not NFL speed guys.  NFL OT's beat the pass rusher after taking a drop, setting their feet, and delivering a powerful blow to halt the momentum of the LB or DE. 

He moves better in the run game than the pass game.  

Maybe he can find a way to battle for the RT spot.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

https://nflmocks.com/2018/05/10/buffalo-bills-get-udfa-steal-ot-ike-boettger-iowa/

The Buffalo Bills may have made one of the best undrafted free agent pickups in Iowa offensive tackle Ike Boettger, who is coming off of an injury…

The Iowa Hawkeyes are nothing if not consistent, especially when it comes to cranking out NFL-caliber offensive line talent.

Head coach Kirk Ferentz was an offensive line coach in the NFL and has brought a pro-style approach to Iowa City, where the Hawkeyes have coached and developed some of the best linemen in the NFL.

Most recently, the Hawkeyes put center James Daniels into the league, the 39th overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft to the Chicago Bears.

Daniels, only 20, grew into one of the best centers in college football in no time.

This piece is not meant to highlight Daniels but a former teammate of his at Iowa, Ike Boettger.

Who is Ike Boettger?

I’m glad you asked.

Boettger was slated to be the Hawkeyes’ starting right tackle in 2017 before an Achilles injury shortened his season to less than two full games.

Able to play both right and left tackle, Boettger will be able to come in and compete right away for a Bills offensive line that no longer includes Cordy Glenn.

Boettger is built with NFL size for the tackle position, checking in at Iowa’s pro day at 6-foot-6, 313 pounds.

If Boettger can stay healthy, I think he has a chance to contribute as the Bills’ swing tackle right away and could compete to be their starting right tackle as soon as 2019.

If he had been able to play a full season in 2017, I have no doubt he would have elevated his draft stock, potentially as high as a late day-two selection, or perhaps early day three.

With the Bills’ youth offensively, the timing may be everything for Boettger. He’s got a chance to be a really good NFL player and I think he will prove that rather quickly in Buffalo.

like was one of the Guys I wanted. Hopefully the new additions can develop so we don't have to spend next draft rebuilding the Oline.

• Like (+1) 1

very interesting. i can't wait to see who takes that spot.

i really think (if they gel rather quickly and not play musical chairs like last year), that we could end up having a very good line. it could go dawkins / teller / bodine / groy / newhouse and we could be very solid, or at least much better in pass pro.

the combo of ducasse / mills killed that last year and with bosa's remarks after the la game, mills should have never taken a snap at rt.

the big plus is dennison is gone. i still don't get the love for juan.

Edited by billsredneck1

7 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Who is Ike Boettger?

I’m glad you asked.

Interesting find, thanks!

I guess it depends what the Achilles injury was.  Aren't those some of the most problematic to come back from?

• Like (+1) 1

I like him. I think he is more of a guard in the NFL, but I like having him in camp for sure. Nice potential. If he didn't get hurt, he definitely gets drafted in the middle rounds somewhere.  

Edited by MrEpsYtown

if he's too hurt to play/practice, he'd just go on our practice squad, right?

I really think the NFL should allow a larger roster, it doesn't make the game better to have some guy come off the couch not knowing the play book to long snap or play RT or whatever in week 9.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm hoping Daboll knows some of the secrets of Dante Scaryakneesferya or whatever his name is - Pats OL coach

Secrets???  You mean holding and having the refs look the other way?   Not much of a secret ;)

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1