• Marshawn Lynch
    • Antowain Smith
    • Wray Carlton
    • Joe Cribbs
    • Kenneth Davis
    • Darrick Holmes
    • Other

3 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I didnt vote yet. It's really between Thurman and McCoy for me because I have an actual like I watched them play attachment to them.

However. Antowain Smith, I had to click results to see if he received any votes. And not to my surprise, he didn't. I just remember him getting a lot of hate in the late 90s. I was young, but I thought I was pretty perceptive. 

I'd love to hear some people older than me speak on how they thought he was regarded by fans. I remember, I could be wrong, but didn't he just a big ass run on that last scoring drive in Nashville in 99?

I think he was forced out while stiff arming a guy or ran out pretty easily and after the dude busted a big run all I can remember is my dad bitching " Thurman would have scored" My dad is a hot take artist.  I could also be completely wrong, I was 10. And I have no desire to watch that game again.

I remember him as a disappointment. He was a 1st round pick, but nothing special. His running style was pretty dull as well. I mean, I wouldn't call him "electrifying".  He didn't stay here very long, and then went to the Patriots....not a good look.

Travis Henry felt like a big leap up in ability, and excitement.

Edited by OJABBA

12 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

OJ was the best of the bunch however I just can't look past his after Bills life. I have to go with Thurman.

Those movies weren't that bad ;)

14 hours ago, K-9 said:

All due respect to TT, Shady, and the rest but they don’t come close to what OJ was on the field. 

I still remember when OJ went over 2000 yards and Rick Azar said on the broadcast “I wonder if any of us fully realize the significance of what we have just witnessed “

I started following football more closely, and becoming a Bills fan after the good days so that eliminates a lot on the list.

For me it's Fred and it's not even close.  The poll isn't about who the best RB is/was, it's about who is your favorite.  Henry, McGahee, Lynch and McCoy are all better running back but I freaking love Fred.  Great story, great guy, and a player that squeezed everything out of the talent that he had.

11 hours ago, Dopey said:

I remember crying as a kid when oj was traded. Too young to think about the bad knees and decline in performance. I voted Thurman though because of the Super Bowls. Even though we didn't win 1,  those were fun times ans I'm not sure we get there without him.  Tough call between the 2.

Fun times, indeed. As others have pointed out, the OP said “favorite” not “best”, which are quite different qualifiers. By that measure any number of RBs could head the list and TT is more than worthy on that score.

When it comes to best though, few RBs in history, let alone former Bills backs, can hold a candle to Simpson in terms of sheer ability. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

No, it isn't arguable.  I love McCoy, but Simpson was head and shoulders above him. 

I never saw OJ play.  I know about his speed and 2,000 yards in 14 games.

I don't know how he was in pass protection, making guys miss or recieving out of the backfield.

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

I never saw OJ play.  I know about his speed and 2,000 yards in 14 games.

I don't know how he was in pass protection, making guys miss or recieving out of the backfield.

I really don't recall what he did in pass protection.  Probably not much. 

Making guys miss?  OJ was one of the best all-time.  Maybe top five. Good as OJ was, I might give Shady the edge.  Shady is the only guy I've seen who approaches what Sanders could do.  

Pass receiving?  Outstanding.  Great hands.  Incredible after the catch.  Plenty of Bills fans say Thurman was a better receiver, but I don't think so.  The Bills ran a different offense and threw more to Thurman, but Simpson's averages were better.  Simpson had more yards per catch and more touchdowns per catch. 

OJ was a top 5 all-time running back.  Shady is underrated, but I doubt anyone who saw them both play would take Shady over OJ.  

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I really don't recall what he did in pass protection.  Probably not much. 

Making guys miss?  OJ was one of the best all-time.  Maybe top five. Good as OJ was, I might give Shady the edge.  Shady is the only guy I've seen who approaches what Sanders could do.  

Pass receiving?  Outstanding.  Great hands.  Incredible after the catch.  Plenty of Bills fans say Thurman was a better receiver, but I don't think so.  The Bills ran a different offense and threw more to Thurman, but Simpson's averages were better.  Simpson had more yards per catch and more touchdowns per catch. 

OJ was a top 5 all-time running back.  Shady is underrated, but I doubt anyone who saw them both play would take Shady over OJ.  

OJ probably didnt need to pass protect much.  Teams keyed on him even in the flats so he would take two defenders with him.  Plus he carried the ball 30 plus times a game.. Almost unheard of in today’s game.

Edited by North Buffalo