Thoughts on offense: why it might not be as bad as we think this year, and how it relates to roster building strategy

21 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, there's no doubt one can chronicle (as you have) a long series of miscalculations.  This is a new regime, however.  So far, I am generally pleased with what they have done, so I don't feel they are fated to add one more link in the chain of inepititude.  I will be surprised if the oline is good this year.  I hope they can approach average and address deficiencies with next year's draft and free agency.

I too love what this regime has done so far in dumping the big salaries on underachievers while bringing is some stellar talent. However, what they are doing is almost ignoring the very same thing that caused so many regimes to fail for the last two decades.  

While I've witnessed regime after regime thinking that they can put anyone in there to block for the RB, QB and the team loses season after season. Yet they were willing to pay a pass rushing DE 100 million dollars who didn't get the team any closer to the playoffs. They were willing to spend a #3 overall draft pick on a DT who also didn't get the team closer to the playoffs.  

It took a past his time old defensive-minded head coach to bring in an all-pro LT that nobody else was willing to take a chance on and if he could have he also would have signed another troubled free agent offensive guard who instead chose to sign with Dallas. Rex Ryan might have ruined a top-five Bills defense but he was smart enough to know how to improve the Bills QB situation and offensive line situation.   

This year the Bills took an LBer with their second #1 pick and a DT with their 3rd round pick and I can't complain about either pick because they were steals. Still, the Bills didn't address their line until the fifth round. This year's defense looks like it will be great. But we have seen a top 5 defense not even get the team into the playoffs in 2014.

I like these new men too much to watch them ruin themselves like so many others have done. The best predictors of future behavior are past behavior.

If only this team built an offensive line like the Dallas Cowboys did before they drafted RB Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott. The Buffalo Bills just drafted a kid with an arm like the NFL has never seen and am hoping they redshirt him until next year after they do indeed rebuild that line. Sucks for McCoy though. 

• Like (+1) 1