My 100 % Superstitious Proof Allen Will Take Us To The Promised Land

I am legitimately surprised they still print cards.

Interesting that a new set can be worth cash, as it seems when I was a kid only the really old ones were worth anything.

Thay said, if you can turn it into cash that may be at at all time high value, why wouldn't you. Seems to me a bigger gamble not to sell it now than it was to buy in the first place, no?

10 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

This isn't because I wanted Rosen, this is because you won the gamble. I understand wanting the card because of value that you can't monetize, but man you won the gamble.

Like really, you won it. Cash out man. If you can get 7gs or even half that, I think you take it.

I used to be a cashier at a corner store that sold scratch offs, it's not completely apt, but I remember a dude winning like 350. It was pretty close to the max I could redeem. I watched him spend that 350 and like another 300 all on losing tickets. I didn't understand it, he won like 350 on a $5 ticket. 

My point is, take the money man. You did what you set out to do.

I'm really just giving you a hard time, I'm happy that the card went to someone who values it so much where it's not even a debate to sell it.

Congrats man

I'd like to be the first to offer you a quart of pork fried rice and a carton of cigarettes.

8 hours ago, Paulus said:

This was purely about a ****ty day and life finding a way, against insane odds. I found the odds against this to be remarkable. It was a horrid day, and there Josh Allen was there to pick me up. It is going to happen, my friend. Allen will break the cure, you !@#$ing economists...One cannot put a value on the rarest card of Buffalo's Savior Josh Allen!!!!

I'm riding this and going down like SaviorPeterman, hahaha. 

I’ll give you a dollar tree eighty for it, cash on the barrel head.

11 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

I work for a company that does this. It really does get to be gambling... kinda crazy when ppl have multiple cc and ones their wives aren't aware of... and have things sent to work so the wife doesnt find out...

As for the card, very nice.

The shame about 1 of 1s is, if you have 100 1 of 1s how rare is it really? Certain players get big $$ but Allen has yet to achieve hot rookie status. People can sell things for whatever they want. Getting asking is a totally different story. Nice pull and prob worth a couple hundred at the moment.  Of note,  the other time besides a prospect reaching their full potential cards are worth more is right after release... so be mindful of that as well.

How just HOW is this card worth hundreds of dollars??  Right now the cost of the ink and cardboard is wasted......maybe just maybe in 15 years it will be worth something.  Maybe.

5 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

How just HOW is this card worth hundreds of dollars??  Right now the cost of the ink and cardboard is wasted......maybe just maybe in 15 years it will be worth something.  Maybe.

You've essentially answered your own question. If the card has the potential to be worth a great deal more later on then it's worth something for that potential now.

24 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You've essentially answered your own question. If the card has the potential to be worth a great deal more later on then it's worth something for that potential now.

I still do not understand that logic......I wouldn't "bet" hundreds for that - but I am not a gambler so there is that.

20 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I still do not understand that logic......I wouldn't "bet" hundreds for that - but I am not a gambler so there is that.

I think it comes down to what the payout and odds are. Like for example if I have five envelopes, four are empty and one has five dollars in it. Then each envelope is worth about a dollar just guessing. Or if it's a bet for five dollars that one of the envelopes is empty then it's worth four dollars. Also if we change the amount in the envelope to twenty dollars then each one is about four dollars.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I think it comes down to what the payout and odds are. Like for example if I have five envelopes, four are empty and one has five dollars in it. Then each envelope is worth about a dollar just guessing. Or if it's a bet for five dollars that one of the envelopes is empty then it's worth four dollars. Also if we change the amount in the envelope to twenty dollars then each one is about four dollars.

There is a reason I don't gamble!

3 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Cards have changed a lot since I collected them as a kid! Gambling? Tell me more. 

Basically, supply and demand. Sports cards boomed in the 80s & 90s with tons and tons of worthless, overly produced cards being sold. As a result, the rare cards being sold became more coveted, because all the rest were pretty much worthless. Card companies in the early 2000s started producing more short print cards (see Tom Brady SP (short print) Authentic RC - and the enire SP craze). The short printing kept the population of the card under control. Anyway, cards became more and more elaborate over the years. More people became interested in not wanting to waste money on the common cards. Who wants boxes of clutter? 

Now there are packs of cards, containing only 1 card being sold for hundreds of dollars. The thing is, your are guaranteed to get auto cards and other special/elaborate cards. Thus, a card is billed as 1 of 1, being the shortest print in the series. This Panini "Majectic" series is one of the top series, apparently. A pack costs a little over 100ea, with 2 guaranteed auto cards. The RC 1 of 1 short print, auto, patch cards are usually the most valuable. 

With packs getting so expensive dealers started pooling customers together to buy interests in packs/boxes/cases. Who has 1500 to drop on a few packs of cards? I spent about 100 dollars for two randomized draft spots (probably way overpaid), with 32 total spots open (one for each team). Anyway, like the Sabres I won the lottery and got to pick first. Picked the Bills. Some places do ebay auctions for teams, instead of a lottery pick type system. 

Either way, I have been a very casual collector of Buffalo Bills memorabilia for most of my life, and have never had something work out in my favor like this. Meaning, Allen is taking us to the promised land, and I don't care what any of you science types have to say about it. Just stoked, man. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

It is what that particular market and hobby dictates. People collect players, hot rookies, certain releases etc and as a result a new release of a high end product with a rookie and a 1 of 1 has a market where prices like that are paid. Like anything hobby wise if you aren't into it yourself you'll think it's crazy. It just is lol

I personally collect Bills game worn jerseys from the late 70s to early 90s but specifically, Jim Kelly. I own 1 of 4 Gamblers home Kelly jerseys, an away 87 Kelly with a hand warmer built in, and the white throwback from the Oilers game in 94. Those 3 particular Kelly jerseys are worth quite a bit more from a value stand point than any one of my other ones from random games between 1987 and 1996. To anyone else, a Kelly gamer is a Kelly gamer. To me, the others have traits that make them more desirable or significant. Again - just the hobby

Edited by gobills1212

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to My 100 % Superstitious Proof Allen Will Take Us To The Promised Land

After seeing this post I got right on Amazon and bought a couple boxes of Leaf Rookies cards. They came in the mail today and I was as excited as a 5 year old on Christmas morning. Unfortunately I didn’t get anything too exciting. I got a couple Allen cards but that was it for Bills players. I got a couple Mayfield cards and a bunch of Darnold cards. The autographed cards were just some jobbers that I can’t even remember 

On 5/9/2018 at 11:26 PM, Paulus said:

https://ibb.co/ekbJBJ

Sorry, about just a link. 

So, I after getting burnt out at work (I am currently a little sick), I head home early and get ready for bed. I lay down and check my emails, before passing out. One email is a spam email from a sports card store offering chance to get certain teams in a case opening of one of the highest end football card cases out there. I have only done this 4 or 5 times in my life; waste money on box breaks. But, I figure why not?  It is a minor form of gambling that may make me feel distracted/better, really felt worth it. I spent a few dollars and somehow win first team pick. I get the Bills, just because I wanted an Allen card. Anyway, I end up getting one of the most rare, if not the rarest(correct me if I'm wrong) Allen card to be produced. It didn't go to some dealer, or some reseller, it went to a life-long Bills' fan. I am beyond disbelief. Stuff like this doesn't happen to me in my real life, let alone something like this in fandom. 

I have a good feeling about this draft pick and take this as a sign. !@#$ you science types. Something like this happens on a whim and on a ****ty day? No, God is telling me the curse has been lifted. 

For context the Josh Rosen version of the card is being sold for $7500 on ebay. (Probably a crazy price that will never sell for)

But, to me this card is priceless. I have spent some of the best times of my life with family and friends around Buffalo sports. And, there is not another Buffalo Bills card I'd want more. 

The curse cannot be lifted until Russ Brandon's brother is fired and Scott Norwood is on the wall of fame. When Russ was fired I thought their was just one hurdle left but the squirrel layed eggs.

On 5/12/2018 at 5:50 PM, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

After seeing this post I got right on Amazon and bought a couple boxes of Leaf Rookies cards. They came in the mail today and I was as excited as a 5 year old on Christmas morning. Unfortunately I didn’t get anything too exciting. I got a couple Allen cards but that was it for Bills players. I got a couple Mayfield cards and a bunch of Darnold cards. The autographed cards were just some jobbers that I can’t even remember 

Brady was a jobber, once upon a time. That said, I went back to the well a little bit more enthusiastic and it didn't quite work out the same, haha. 

Also, below is an example of how crazy cards have become.  The card below has diamonds and rubies embedded in it. I just saw this, recently, and thought it would be relevant/interesting. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKRj8XzFAMXwVF-AxxZfF

4 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The curse cannot be lifted until Russ Brandon's brother is fired and Scott Norwood is on the wall of fame. When Russ was fired I thought their was just one hurdle left but the squirrel layed eggs.

Blasphemer!!!! YOU SHALL NOT QUESTION THE SALVATION ALLEN HAS BROUGHT!!!

giphy.gif

Edited by Paulus