Rookie Class Signings

20 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Can you give a quick explanation of what the offsets are?

I didn't understand what the guy said earlier, and I feel like Google will just confuse me lol

My understanding is it only applies if the player is released. The offset language basically says that they would have to pay back a portion of their bonus if they get released and sign with another team. Basically limits future earnings. 

16 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

My understanding is it only applies if the player is released. The offset language basically says that they would have to pay back a portion of their bonus if they get released and sign with another team. Basically limits future earnings. 

Say he is owed 14 mil over 2 years and is released.  If signed by another team for 2 years 14 mil.  The releasing team gets offset by the new team.  Instead of player getting 28 over 2 years he gets the 14 over 2.

• Like (+1) 1

I could be wrong but last time the Bills drafted this high, 2014, Sammy Watkins did not have offset language. But that was top 5 (if it matters) and different FO and ownership. But overdorf was here and he’s still the contract guy I think.

40 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

20 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Say he is owed 14 mil over 2 years and is released.  If signed by another team for 2 years 14 mil.  The releasing team gets offset by the new team.  Instead of player getting 28 over 2 years he gets the 14 over 2.

Okay thanks :)

On 5/10/2018 at 11:07 AM, Mat68 said:

Yes, but like Mayfield will get close 100% guaranteed.  Bosa wanted a higher % and upfront.  There are things that can be wrote in.  

I see that going the other way.  I expect they will want as much upfront as possible.  Offset language and other pitfalls will be added and they will not catch.

Jackson did say he was having a lawyer review the contract.  If the lawyer is competent, it will be caught.

I honestly don't get this mindset as though Lamar Jackson's mama is "Licia Hick from French Lick" or something.  A bunch of us here know all this stuff.   Why, we're curious, we google, we read up.  Lamar Jackson's mama is Badass, and I mean that in the nicest way.  No reason she can't have educated herself well enough to ask the team and Lamar's lawyer the good questions.

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Negative, the bonus is theirs if they're released.  The "offset" applies to any guaranteed salary.  Let's say his salary is $6M with $2M guaranteed in his 4th year.

If he's released (presumably because he's not playing too well) and another team picks him up for vet min of, by then $735k, the releasing team wants to pay him $1.265M while the new team pays $735k.    The no offset clause would mean he gtes paid $2.735 M with the releasing team paying $2M

• Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Jackson did say he was having a lawyer review the contract.  If the lawyer is competent, it will be caught.

I honestly don't get this mindset as though Lamar Jackson's mama is "Licia Hick from French Lick" or something.  A bunch of us here know all this stuff.   Why, we're curious, we google, we read up.  Lamar Jackson's mama is Badass, and I mean that in the nicest way.  No reason she can't have educated herself well enough to ask the team and Lamar's lawyer the good questions.

Negative, the bonus is theirs if they're released.  The "offset" applies to any guaranteed salary.  Let's say his salary is $6M with $2M guaranteed in his 4th year.

If he's released (presumably because he's not playing too well) and another team picks him up for vet min of, by then $735k, the releasing team wants to pay him $1.265M while the new team pays $735k.    The no offset clause would mean he gtes paid $2.735 M with the releasing team paying $2M

I could be wrong but imo if Lamar had a good agent he goes top 15.  If Jackson ran under 4.4 he goes top 10.  There are things along the way that Jackson and his camp were inexperianced dealing with.  I know one way of looking at agents, personal trainers is a leach to a cow.  But a trainer and agent gets as many people as possible to get eyes on how easy he learns and how fantastic a kid a athlete he is.  Seems he was overly sheltered.  And again either the contract negotiation will be the hardest or easiest.  Take that how you want it.  Depends on the lawyer.  How many NFL contracts has he work? Imo Jackson lost more money IE draft position and slotting more than what an agent and Qb coach cost.  Rosen went 10, Barkley 2.  Combine those 2 guys and you have Jacksons college production.  

On 5/10/2018 at 12:23 PM, YoloinOhio said:

It was actually the timing of the payout of the Signing bonus. He wanted it all upfront and Chargers wanted to pay part up front and part at another time. His parents felt he would make more money because of calif tax implications of he got it up front, but Chargers had never done it that way and owner was strict. He ended up switching agents (same agency, different guy) and it got done immediately. 

And what happens if a player burns through the money and then has drug/legal issues and has someone unlike Jim Overdorf draft contract with a grab back clause?  There is no money for team to get back and this is wrong.

51 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

And what happens if a player burns through the money and then has drug/legal issues and has someone unlike Jim Overdorf draft contract with a grab back clause?  There is no money for team to get back and this is wrong.

I’m pretty sure he actually didn’t get what he wanted, Chargers stuck to their guns. but the deal got done instead of continuing to hold out. He missed all of TC and then the first four games because he injured his hammy as soon as he started practicing ... but it didn’t end up mattering at all with his performance. Thing is they might have won some of those games he missed if he was there. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/10/2018 at 12:23 PM, YoloinOhio said:

It was actually the timing of the payout of the Signing bonus. He wanted it all upfront and Chargers wanted to pay part up front and part at another time. His parents felt he would make more money because of calif tax implications of he got it up front, but Chargers had never done it that way and owner was strict. He ended up switching agents (same agency, different guy) and it got done immediately. 

I don't actually know the end result, nor does it matter, but it seems they were stuck on both the deferred payment you mentioned as well as the offset 5th year

"Here’s the crux of the Bosa-Chargers showdown:

● Bosa is owed $25 million. That’s what No. 3 overall picks get paid. Bosa can’t negotiate for more, and the Chargers aren’t getting out of paying that much.

● The Chargers want to include offset language in the contract. Offset language would allow the team to not pay Bosa in the fifth year of his contract, should he be cut before then. Without the offset language, the Chargers could be on the hook for paying Bosa while another team signs him to another deal.

● The Chargers want to break up Bosa’s signing bonus, which is worth roughly $17 million of the $25 million Bosa is going to be paid by San Diego.

● Since the new CBA has been ratified, there has not been a No. 3 overall pick whose contract included both offset language and a split signing bonus."

<Link here>

I forgot how terrible the Chargers always were with rookie deals.

I love how they still managed to find a way to do so with boss AFTER the new CBA lol

2 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

I don't actually know the end result, nor does it matter, but it seems they were stuck on both the deferred payment you mentioned as well as the offset 5th year

"Here’s the crux of the Bosa-Chargers showdown:

● Bosa is owed $25 million. That’s what No. 3 overall picks get paid. Bosa can’t negotiate for more, and the Chargers aren’t getting out of paying that much.

● The Chargers want to include offset language in the contract. Offset language would allow the team to not pay Bosa in the fifth year of his contract, should he be cut before then. Without the offset language, the Chargers could be on the hook for paying Bosa while another team signs him to another deal.

● The Chargers want to break up Bosa’s signing bonus, which is worth roughly $17 million of the $25 million Bosa is going to be paid by San Diego.

● Since the new CBA has been ratified, there has not been a No. 3 overall pick whose contract included both offset language and a split signing bonus."

<Link here>

I forgot how terrible the Chargers always were with rookie deals.

I love how they still managed to find a way to do so with boss AFTER the new CBA lol

Yep it’s true now I remember ... Bosa was willing to give in on or the other but not both, which is what made the holdout go on so long 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yep it’s true now I remember ... Bosa was willing to give in on or the other but not both, which is what made the holdout go on so long 

Chargers are morons.

I think that's what we've learned from it.

?