Rookie Class Signings

I see alot of NFL teams signing their draft class already.  I have not seen any news on the bills front.  Does anyone have any info on this matter?  I know it usually takes a while for qb's but shouldnt we have these guys signed before rookie mini camp?

12 hours ago, JoeF said:

Everything is pretty much slotted by draft position now due to the CBA. There is very little negotiation.

See this Forbes article..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2018/04/27/2018-nfl-draft-1st-round-rookie-salary-projections-what-mayfield-barkley-and-darnold-will-make/#553176784581

Didn’t Joey Bosa hold out on the Chargers? What was the point?

I thought I remember last year them not signing anybody until after rookie camp. To me it makes sense to see what kind of condition the players come in that way you can adjust guarantees and incentives for those who need it. Seems like it should be standard to get them on the field before signing contracts league wide when I think about it.

Edited by Madd Charlie

23 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Guaranteed money.

was not guaranteed money, first rounders are all guaranteed but when the guaranteed and bonus money was to be paid. 

Chargers are cheap and wanted to pay in instalments through the year, Bosa wanted it all up front.

Only other thing negotiable is offsets. Put simply, 1st rounders are guaranteed money..teams like to put a clause in that if player is cut and signed by another team, whatever the new team pays will offset that portion of the guaranteed money original team paid. PLayers obviously want to get paid by both teams.

Edited by plenzmd1

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

was not guaranteed money, first rounders are all guaranteed but when the guaranteed and bonus money was to be paid. 

Chargers are cheap and wanted to pay in instalments through the year, Bosa wanted it all up front.

Only other thing negotiable is offsets. Put simply, 1st rounders are guaranteed money..teams like to put a clause in that if player is cut and signed by another team, whatever the new team pays will offset that portion of the guaranteed money original team paid. PLayers obviously want to get paid by both teams.

Correct, I think Bosa was about the offset stuff

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

Ahh Bosa....I remember those trade for Bosa threads well.

I never argued that idea. I could only argue how ridiculous a concept it was to consider the Chargers would do it. Apparently the guy is a decent pass rusher? Who would have thunk it?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

I never argued that idea. I could only argue how ridiculous a concept it was to consider the Chargers would do it. Apparently the guy is a decent pass rusher? Who would have thunk it?

He and Ingram are a deadly combination, still puzzles me that the Browns would pass on Chubb.  I thought that was a sure thing

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Yes, but like Mayfield will get close 100% guaranteed.  Bosa wanted a higher % and upfront.  There are things that can be wrote in.  

35 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Did Lamar’s mommy work over the Ravens yet? 

I see that going the other way.  I expect they will want as much upfront as possible.  Offset language and other pitfalls will be added and they will not catch.

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Correct, I think Bosa was about the offset stuff

It was actually the timing of the payout of the Signing bonus. He wanted it all upfront and Chargers wanted to pay part up front and part at another time. His parents felt he would make more money because of calif tax implications of he got it up front, but Chargers had never done it that way and owner was strict. He ended up switching agents (same agency, different guy) and it got done immediately. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was actually the timing of the payout of the Signing bonus. He wanted it all upfront and Chargers wanted to pay part up front and part at another time. His parents felt he would make more money because of calif tax implications of he got it up front, but Chargers had never done it that way and owner was strict. He ended up switching agents (same agency, different guy) and it got done immediately. 

Right, I took a shot...

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Yes, but like Mayfield will get close 100% guaranteed.  Bosa wanted a higher % and upfront.  There are things that can be wrote in.  

I see that going the other way.  I expect they will want as much upfront as possible.  Offset language and other pitfalls will be added and they will not catch.

That was my sarcasm, while so it seems the dollars are fixed, the details are likely still fluid, negotiable and with inexperience and naivety on one side of the table comes advantages to the other.  I found LJ interesting until that turn. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That was my sarcasm, while I’m so it seems the dollars are fixed, the details are likely still fluid, negotiable and with inexperience and naivety on one side of the table comes advantages to the other.  I found LJ interesting until that turn. 

I think Lamars mother will be the easiest or hardest negotiating with for the Ravens.