The Bills teams of late 80s and early 90s

16 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

You guys think any of those teams were the best team in football on any of those years?

Bills won at The Meadowlands late in the regular season, with Jim Kelly injured, against Phil Simms.

From that game until the still inexcusable loss (from the Bills side) to a scrub QB Hosstattler (whatever) the Bills were the #1 team in the NFL

and beating up the cupcakes in the playoffs added to the deserved hype as well

17 hours ago, Bills92 said:

The 1990 Superbowl XV team was the best team in Football.. especially in the second half of the year when they started to run the K-Gun offense.  27 years later, it still blows me away we lost Super Bowl XV..  we should have rolled the Giants.  However, hand it to the Giants for executing on a perfect game plan the Bill & Bill put together.  

Being out coached was the main reason the Bills lost that 1st Super Bowl.

57 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

No doubt.

An orange pylon could have been put in place of Marv Levy on the sideline as the head coach of that Bills era and the results would have been the same.

22 hours ago, Capco said:

One interesting tidbit about the Bills of the Superbowl years was that many people would simplify their losses to the NFC in the Superbowl as NFC teams being their kryptonite:  bigger, stronger teams that could outmuscle the Bills' finesse; that the Bills were nothing more than "Kings of the AFC" during that time.  

However, during those years the Bills went 13-3 against NFC opponents during the regular season.  

No other team in the AFC had a better record against the NFC during 1990-93.  

Wrong.  They were 14-2 with both losses coming in the regular season finale with a lot of the starters resting as home field was already clinched in '90 & '91.  Andit took OT for the playoff bound Lions to win their game.  That 1 still sticksin Ditka's craw. :thumbsup:

Including the 4 Super Bowl losses, the Bills were 10-6 vs the NFC those 4 years.  

Darn shame Talley played SB XXV w/ only 1 good arm.  Probably could've stopped at least 1 3rd & forever conversion which probably would've been enough to win it.

Also stinks that McKeller's obvious catch on the final drive was reviewed.  Cost the Bills at least 7 seconds.  Could've been the 1 extra play they needed to get the 7 yards to make it a 40 yard attempt.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

You guys think any of those teams were the best team in football on any of those years?

NO....SF was the best team slightly the yr we lost to the Giants

4 hours ago, Ifartalot said:

Being out coached was the main reason the Bills lost that 1st Super Bowl.

by belichek

On 5/9/2018 at 9:53 PM, horned dogs said:

Same as everyone else the 1990 was the best team in football, unfortunately they got outcoached in the Super Bowl.

They could not stop the Giant's run game. If we had kept Freddy Smerlas we would have won. Jeff Wright was a pass rusher not a run stuffer.

On 5/10/2018 at 9:33 AM, Jobot said:

I thought Ottawa was the best that year, but Sabres wanted it more and grinded to that belief.

Still so upset that Carolina was gifted the cup that year due to injuries and a fluke penalty.

2006 Sabres were better then 2006 Senators and 2007 Senators were better then 2007 Sabres. 06 Sabres/07 Senators both were the top teams in the league the 2nd half of the season whereas the other two teams benefited from insanely hot starts to the season that made them slightly better then they were. 2007 Sabres were a paper tiger in terms of team composition. 07 Youth could score but lacked the heart and grind like you mention that vets who left like McKee, Dumont, & Grier had.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, corta765 said:

2006 Sabres were better then 2006 Senators and 2007 Senators were better then 2007 Sabres. 06 Sabres/07 Senators both were the top teams in the league the 2nd half of the season whereas the other two teams benefited from insanely hot starts to the season that made them slightly better then they were. 2007 Sabres were a paper tiger in terms of team composition. 07 Youth could score but lacked the heart and grind like you mention that vets who left like McKee, Dumont, & Grier had.

I'll take your word for it haha, but I remember being terrified of facing Ottawa in '06 and deep down didn't expect Buffalo to win that year.  I thought they had our number all year until the playoffs if I recall.

13 minutes ago, Jobot said:

I'll take your word for it haha, but I remember being terrified of facing Ottawa in '06 and deep down didn't expect Buffalo to win that year.  I thought they had our number all year until the playoffs if I recall.

Don't disagree with fearing Ottawa was not confident going in only in hindsight does it make sense. I was at the first game we beat them that season which Miller went toe to toe with Hasek and we won 2-1 in a shootout. The arena was chanting USA after for Miller because the US brilliantly didn't take him on the Olympic roster. One of the coolest moments I've ever been at.