Which weighed more heavily on 4/26/2018: WANTING Allen or NOT Wanting Rosen?

46 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Where did Beane say something about Rudolph at 22?

Yolo had a thread based on a story from Around the NFL about how the Bills would have strongly considered Rudolph at 22 - I believe - that may have even been the title, but I would need to search.  

I can’t remember if they quoted or just sources attributed to Beane about Rudolph at 22, but it basically exploded people’s heads because of where he eventually went, but I believe there were links to other teams like Pittsburgh that had a 1st round grade, but finally value outmatched need and they took him later.

The idea came out after Gunners thread and basically confirmed the that Allen and Rudolph were 2 of their top guys and speculation is that Darold was #3.  All three are bigger pocket based passers - exactly what Beane talked about for a franchise QB.

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually think that might be true, and if it is true that they were both off the board, the reason might be concussions.

Everyone who follows football heard about Rosen's concussions.  Although less publicized, Baker Mayfield also had 2 concussions (last year, within the space of 3 games).

At one point fairly close to the draft, Beane said something to the effect that one team won't be bothered by a medical exam that takes a player off another team's board.  I thought that was a strange comment to make in the context in which it was made.  But if it was the Bills moving Mayfield and Rosen off their board for concussions it would make sense.

I can't find the comment right now.  I'll come back and link it if I find it.

I didn't even know about Mayfield's concusssions.  Interesting.  Maybe with injury issues he saw in Carolina with Cam and briefly in Buffalo with Taylor have really taken guys with injury histories off his board for good reason.

41 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

TLDR.

Neither.   It doesn’t matter now as the Bills signed Allen.  

Had to look up "TLDR" again...

Is there a reason you posted in this thread if you didn't bother reading?

Just have to keep crankin those posts out, huh?

Yes, I realize reading a lot would take away from all that quality posting you do.

Same amount of time on this board as me and nearly 10,000 more posts... you're doing such a splendid job  :thumbsup:

56 minutes ago, White Linen said:

It was mostly about not wanting Rosen.  They just didn't want Allen a little less. 

C'mon now.

Well... if Rosen was truly off Beane's board, it certainly seems that his persistence in trading up to #7 and trying to trade up to #6 and #5 was obviously in order to get Allen, but also not to be stuck with the possibility of Rosen or Rudolph even lower.

Good God, imagine if we ended up stuck with Rudolph at 22.... Oy! :blink:

I think these kinds of discussions are fascinating.  Whatever truth there is behind how things played out has such an impact on how the next decade or so goes for us as fans.

I personally feel that they just loved Allen.  They probably had Darnold higher, but I doubt it was much of a gap, and once the Jets made their trade it was going to be Allen, or no trade and take Jackson or someone else later on.

The more I see of Rosen, the gladder I am.  Hard guy to root for, and he has an intangible that really works against him.  He feels like he’s the best already.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I didn't even know about Mayfield's concusssions.  Interesting.  Maybe with injury issues he saw in Carolina with Cam and briefly in Buffalo with Taylor have really taken guys with injury histories off his board for good reason.

Had to look up "TLDR" again...

Is there a reason you posted in this thread if you didn't bother reading?

Just have to keep crankin those posts out, huh?

Yes, I realize reading a lot would take away from all that quality posting you do.

Same amount of time on this board as me and nearly 10,000 more posts... you're doing such a splendid job  :thumbsup:

The title is self evident.  

I dont need to read hundreds of words to supply a simple answer 

The mood now compared to a little less than two weeks ago is certainly more optimistic.  Here's the five stages of grief I went through:

1.)  Denial - the draft played out perfectly and they had Josh Rosen sitting there and they picked a kid who looks like the most obvious bust since Jake Locker.  Did Goodell read the wrong last name?  Is this some sort of cruel practical joke.  

2.)  Anger - Beane deserves to be fired.  All these months of my personal time in quarterback study getting excited about Mayfield, Darnold, or Rosen and then we fricken draft ALLEN!!!!  Get the pitch forks.

3.)  Bargaining - a lot of people on this board feel my pain.  Maybe they'll provide a link to an expert me feel better about the pick.  Arizona was reportedly heartbroken which is nice.

4.)  Depression - same old Bills.  This kid will be a bust and set this franchise back five years.  Mine as well look up the 2019 rookie QB class.

5.)  Acceptance - he had a bad team around him.  He played in a pro style offense where there were few short, easy throws and that brought down his completion percentage.  He worked on a farm.  Maybe Beane knows more than us and this kid could be great.  Screw Josh Rosen.  

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Thank you (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Beane's own ego factored more in the Allen pick than anything else.

The biggest kid with the strongest arm who generated the most hype was the only thing that could do it for him.

Wrong, though the egos of more than a few here do seem to be getting into their own way.

26 minutes ago, #34fan said:

The biggest kid with the strongest arm who generated the most hype was the only thing that could do it for him.

Or he had a choice between Allen & Rosen and he picked Allen..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Or he had a choice between Allen & Rosen and he picked Allen..

It was never going to be Rosen... Too incendiary... Someone shoves a camera in Rosen's face, and he says exactly what's on his mind...

-Then there's the durability issue.

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Alternatively, after Kolb was cleared by the Bills team physicians, but had 1 more concussion end his career and cause persistent symptoms, the Bills team physicians may scrutinize a concussion history more seriously.

Again, I don't know that's the reason, but it would puzzle me that the Bills would take both of those guys off the board (if that's true) otherwise, they're such different players.

So I was thinking "what do they have in common, besides the best analytics in the QB class?"

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

It's been reported that Beane has been watching Allen since last year and was hoping he would "slide under the radar"

I truly doubt that hype was a factor.  For whatever reason, as a football guy, Beane just prefers Allen.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

The mood now compared to a little less than two weeks ago is certainly more optimistic.  Here's the five stages of grief I went through:

1.)  Denial - the draft played out perfectly and they had Josh Rosen sitting there and they picked a kid who looks like the most obvious bust since Jake Locker.  Did Goodell read the wrong last name?  Is this some sort of cruel practical joke.  

2.)  Anger - Beane deserves to be fired.  All these months of my personal time in quarterback study getting excited about Mayfield, Darnold, or Rosen and then we fricken draft ALLEN!!!!  Get the pitch forks.

3.)  Bargaining - a lot of people on this board feel my pain.  Maybe they'll provide a link to an expert me feel better about the pick.  Arizona was reportedly heartbroken which is nice.

4.)  Depression - same old Bills.  This kid will be a bust and set this franchise back five years.  Mine as well look up the 2019 rookie QB class.

5.)  Acceptance - he had a bad team around him.  He played in a pro style offense where there were few short, easy throws and that brought down his completion percentage.  He worked on a farm.  Maybe Beane knows more than us and this kid could be great.  Screw Josh Rosen.  

Nailed it.  Bam.

Strange question for me to grasp personally. I guess call me a Rosen guy but I really didn't think anybody was a sure thing except for Baker. So I'm not mad we chose allen over Rosen, just saying I'd have picked Rosen.

• Like (+1) 2