AJ McCarron's Arm Strength

2 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

Why don't you just go ahead and list some of the other starters in the NFL while you're at it?  Trubisky (51), Watson (45), Prescott (54).  It's a nice cherry pick, but I would bet you that there isn't a single Bills fan that wouldn't take the latter of those two.  Trubisky is a TBD.

A weak arm is a weak arm, the fact that others are able to be successful with a weak arm doesn't change the fact that his arm is weak.  There are many variables at play that make comparisons difficult. Prescott has the best offensive line in football in front of him and an excellent running back. Watson had some great games before he was hurt but so did Griffin. His long term success is an open question. And if I was cherry picking, how many abject failures with arm strength similar to AJ's did you leave out? I made it clear in my post that arm strength is a questionable measure of a QB's worth and that AJ's other talents will hopefully be enough. All that being said, his arm strength is barely even average. There is a reason he wasn't at the top of any team's list of must have FA's.

3 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Allen is off the charts. I never heard anyone question EJ’s atm strength, so it’s odd that it has come up with McCarron.

If can get some protection, I think he will be fine until Allen is ready to play.

....the concerns for Allen were the same with EJ....poor accuracy, footwork and slow eyes...the only advantage with 62 is throwing thru the wind in Buffalo...please God don't let Josh turn out to be EJ?

4 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Here are QB ball velocity numbers from 2008 - 2017.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2017/03/16/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2015/

EJ Manual, who was generally recognized as having a big arm, threw 54 mph at the combine. AJ McCarron threw 53 mph.

Arm strength is not as issue for AJ.

We already knew that.

Show me meaningful data that indicates throwing velocity translates to success in the NFL at the QB position.

Keep in mind 80% of all passes are 20 yards or less.

I note that past "velocity champions" include such great Quarterbacks as Logan Thomas, Tyler Bray, Brandon Weeden, Levi Brown, and everyone's favorite passer: Colin Kaepernick.

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Odd, since EJ threw a very  soft ball with a big arc to the trajectory 

I think he was so conscious of his power that it screwed with his head and he held off deliberately when he threw. 

Kind of like the weird mental glitch some pitchers have when they field a ball and throw to first base.  

They are so aware that they have the power to throw the ball through the glove of the first baseman, it screws with their head, they hold off on their natural throwing motion/velocity, and end up throwing inaccurately to the bag.

6 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Odd, since EJ threw a very  soft ball with a big arc to the trajectory 

Ball velocity has nothing to do with trajectory. It’s distance per time.

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

....the concerns for Allen were the same with EJ....poor accuracy, footwork and slow eyes...the only advantage with 62 is throwing thru the wind in Buffalo...please God don't let Josh turn out to be EJ?

I don’t think Allen had anything to do with EJ.

5 hours ago, musichunch said:

Looking at college tape, AJ is a very steady and calm QB who has enough arm strength in the NFL to be a good starting game manager. Surround him with a good team and he can take you to the playoffs. Makes great intermediate throws in tight spots, can move around the pocket, and is pretty decisive. His ceiling is higher than Andy Dalton in my opinion. Does not use his feet as much though.

Peterman is undersized and jittery. Does not have good arm strength but his release is very fast and he has great zip and accuracy on his balls. I see what McDermott sees in him, but I don't believe he can be a good starter in this league. I think his ceiling is smart and surprisingly good backup QB. He will be a backup on this team as long as McDermott is here. Can surprise you with some 300 yard games. 

AJ is going to win the job this offseason. Would be very surprised if he doesn't. Should get us anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6 depending on how everyone else plays. Next year we can start talking about AJ vs. Allen. Allen's ceiling is top 3-5 superstar QB, in case anybody was wondering. Allen can probably start this year, but AJ is too steady a QB in general to take that risk. No need to rush things. 

I hope you are 100% spot on.

5 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Brodie Croyle and Greg McElroy were better 

AJ was better than both. Brodie was a good QB with a zippy cannon for an arm and would have had a solid NFL career if not for knee injuries. McElroy had the head but not the physical tools and made the most of it. AJ is the best pro QB prospect to come out of Bama in....well, I can't think that far back....ever.

5 hours ago, musichunch said:

Looking at college tape, AJ is a very steady and calm QB who has enough arm strength in the NFL to be a good starting game manager. Surround him with a good team and he can take you to the playoffs. Makes great intermediate throws in tight spots, can move around the pocket, and is pretty decisive. His ceiling is higher than Andy Dalton in my opinion. Does not use his feet as much though.

Peterman is undersized and jittery. Does not have good arm strength but his release is very fast and he has great zip and accuracy on his balls. I see what McDermott sees in him, but I don't believe he can be a good starter in this league. I think his ceiling is smart and surprisingly good backup QB. He will be a backup on this team as long as McDermott is here. Can surprise you with some 300 yard games. 

AJ is going to win the job this offseason. Would be very surprised if he doesn't. Should get us anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6 depending on how everyone else plays. Next year we can start talking about AJ vs. Allen. Allen's ceiling is top 3-5 superstar QB, in case anybody was wondering. Allen can probably start this year, but AJ is too steady a QB in general to take that risk. No need to rush things. 

...overall solid assessment and nicely done bud....too many new parts, moving parts, new OC/scheme, etc to put the onus on Allen who needs to be brought along slowly...if AJ can be the Steady Eddie, cerebral game manager he was at 'Bama, he can allow the other peices to gradually fall into place while keeping this club competitive IMO.....

1 hour ago, rolltiderx2 said:

AJ was better than both. Brodie was a good QB with a zippy cannon for an arm and would have had a solid NFL career if not for knee injuries. McElroy had the head but not the physical tools and made the most of it. AJ is the best pro QB prospect to come out of Bama in....well, I can't think that far back....ever.

Namath and Stabler are the standard bearers for Alabama QBs and McCarran shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence...unless it’s a sentence that says he shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence.

1 hour ago, rolltiderx2 said:

Joe Namath and Ken Stabler?

9 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Here are QB ball velocity numbers from 2008 - 2017.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2017/03/16/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2015/

EJ Manual, who was generally recognized as having a big arm, threw 54 mph at the combine. AJ McCarron threw 53 mph.

Arm strength is not as issue for AJ.

No it certainly won't be...

12 hours ago, transient said:

Regardless of the actual number rewatch the pick at the end of the Jacksonville playoff game and ask yourself if you don’t have concerns about his arm strength. 

I have concerns about both Peterman and AJ's arm strength.  Probably more about Peterman.  Neither seem able to put enough "zip" on those sideline throws.

53 seems like a solid score, McCarron seems like he has enough arm strength to get it done but not an elite arm either. McCarron will need good touch and decision making to be successful as his arm can get it done but it won't bail him out of mistake much either. That's my take based off of his scouting reports coming out of college and the takes people have on him after his limited starts in Cincy.