AJ McCarron's Arm Strength

EJ manuel had a big arm during the combine when he was coached up...if you watched him at fla state..or during bills game despite having the ability to put zip on the ball his ball always floated..i still remember Jim kelly being in the booth with tasker etc as a guest and hes watching ej and hes like just rip the ball..cus ej wud float comeback routes cus his mechanics were so robotic

12 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Allen is off the charts. I never heard anyone question EJ’s atm strength, so it’s odd that it has come up with McCarron.

If can get some protection, I think he will be fine until Allen is ready to play.

Arm strength was one of the questions in McCarron's pre-draft assessments.  Stuff like "does not have a big time arm" "average arm" etc. 

I'm still looking for that one video clip for you though - televised game, announcers are droning on about how McCarron doesn't have enough arm to drive the ball downfield - while meanwhile, on the screen behind them, McCarron is doing just that, for a TD.  BURN!  It's funny as heck.

It's the "if AJ can get some protection" bit that's concerning me (for all of our QB).  People tell me it's not as bad as I think....

• Like (+1) 1

AJ has enough arm strength and the guy is pretty accurate. I still think Allen beats him out in camp, but he will get a fair shake here and he's better than Peterman.

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It is more of a unknown then a issue

And given the low odds for even perfect specimens, being an unknown isn’t thaaaat great a quality for a day 3 guy. A long shot is better than no shot but it’s still an issue

9 hours ago, H2o said:

AJ has enough arm strength and the guy is pretty accurate. I still think Allen beats him out in camp, but he will get a fair shake here and he's better than Peterman.

This high light reel is instructive for a few things, he was hardly ever under pressure, his receivers usually had got separation/had their man beat and had ibncredible YAC.  I give AJ credit, he did slide in the pocket nicely twice and had nice placement on the ball but this is more a testimony that he was as much the product of a great team as anything.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW if these are the OurLads numbers, it's been said that they differ substantively from the official combine numbers.

You are correct, thanks

Dane Brugler

@dpbrugler

Ball velocity numbers (MPH) from the Combine:

60 - Mahomes
59 - Webb
56 - Kizer
55 - Trubisky, Evans
53 - Peterman, Kaaya
49 - Watson

6:54 PM - Mar 10, 2017

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/3/10/14890754/cleveland-browns-2017-nfl-scouting-combine-qb-velocity

Edited by ALF

22 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

My mental image of McCarron is one of a well-coached, dedicated all around athlete who achieves very well if he's in the right college environment.   The right environment is where there's good talent on the team and good coaching, where the QB is expected to execute the plays but not be a playmaker.  Frankly, that's what I think Dalton looks like.   

In that sense, he's good for McDermott, for whom ideal player is one who does his job as well as he can every play.  I think Dalton will be solid starter for the Bills, until Allen takes over.   When will Allen take over?   When he can execute the offense nearly as well as McCarron can.   Why will he take over?   Because the quality of his arm and his physical talents generally will allow Allen to be a playmaker as well as a field general.    So when Allen's field generalship approaches McCarron's, in 2018 or 2019, Allen's athletic superiority will be enough to get him on the field.  

Dalton? 

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Arm strength was one of the questions in McCarron's pre-draft assessments.  Stuff like "does not have a big time arm" "average arm" etc. 

I'm still looking for that one video clip for you though - televised game, announcers are droning on about how McCarron doesn't have enough arm to drive the ball downfield - while meanwhile, on the screen behind them, McCarron is doing just that, for a TD.  BURN!  It's funny as heck.

It's the "if AJ can get some protection" bit that's concerning me (for all of our QB).  People tell me it's not as bad as I think....

Ah, yes. One of my favorites:

On 5/9/2018 at 9:12 AM, Ramza86 said:

Being an NFL level starting QB is currently his issue. 

Actually it's Bills fans issue they don't even want to give the guy a chance & he hasn't even thrown a ball in a Bills Uni yet !! 

I can't wait to see how many jump on the band wagon :P

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, H2o said:

I was not super impressed with the video of AJ's top 10 plays at Alabama.  A couple were under thrown and most we fairly simple lob passes to a streaking wide receiver.  In Cincinnati he played with Eifert, Green, Sanu, Jones, and Bernard.  Peterman likely could have impressed with that squad. All three QBs have a reasonable chance to start week one.

Edited by Rock'em Sock'em

On 5/9/2018 at 11:40 AM, ddaryl said:

Ì don't know much about dancin', that's why I got this song
One of my legs is shorter than the other and both my feet's too long
'Course now right along with 'em, I got no natural rhythm
But I go dancin' every night, hopin' one day I might get it right

if this is Mothers of Invention i will rustle  up my zircon encrusted tweezers and saddle up my pygmy pony

On 5/9/2018 at 1:35 PM, I'm Spartacus said:

You are either referring to a "Dancin' Fool" or somebody is Moving to Montana?

Dancin fool. knew i heard that decades ago.  well done I'm   !!

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

if this is Mothers of Invention i will rustle  up my zircon encrusted tweezers and saddle up my pygmy pony

Dancin fool. knew i heard that decades ago.  well done I'm   !!

Mothers of invention were pre Moving to Montana days. I beleive Zappa busted the Mothers up in about 1970 and then formed his more popular band that brought us most of th more popular known Zappa music.