My Debate with a HC

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I kind of wonder if the root of all this is the need for teams/the NFL to take a look at the whole process of how they are hiring and developing coaches.

It all seems very cosy and nepotistic - I know a guy who knows a guy.  That's fine if the job is one that a wide variety of people could do decently.

Football coaching, especially offensive coaching, seems to me that it calls for a unique set of skills.  There has to be the strategic thinking of chess; an air-traffic-controller-like ability to visualize 2 dimensional play diagrams and still photos not only as three dimensional, but to project the movement; a military-like ability to assess the mental and physical characteristics of each player and put them in positions to succeed.  It's one of the jobs in the world where I know, without a doubt, looking from the outside at what it takes to do well, I would absolutely and completely suck at, and yet ....sometimes I feel like I could do a better job than some of the guys who are there.

There are brilliant coaches at the HS, JUCO, and college level, as well as players with in interest in coaching.  Meanwhile for some reason the NFL has the tendency to re-cycle the same handful of retreads, and for HC to hire people they've worked with and feel a comfort level with.

Maybe the problem is the general NFL talent search protocol, there isn't enough effort to methodically ID and develop candidates who actually have the mental skills.

The NFL is a club. You are either a part of the club or you  aren’t. Some people are scared to bring in new names

it’s tough to break in and earn their respect... not impossible but very tough 

thats the reason they recycle the same coaches over and over ... nobody wants to find and stick their neck out for the new guy

There are a lot of college coaches and even high end HS coaches who would make great coordinators 

Changing the gameplan is NOT a scouting failure but a guide to HOW to change the game plan on the fly.  

Generally, game plans in any situation should not be a rigid playbook that is followed regardless of the circumstances. Instead, it's a general framework that can be messaged and tinkered until he right combination is found.  

41 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I fully understand that.Dennsion did his best... it wasn’t a lack of adjustments or trying 

It was more putting square pegs in round holes

i should have said lack of SUCCESSFUL adjustments ?

I agree - Dennison was slow to change and did not do the best to fit scheme and player and Dennison got and deserved a ton of blame - up to and including being fired at the end of the season.  He certainly had more than his fair share of failed adjustments.  I just think it is not fair to say he did not adjust or try to adjust - it is just based upon what he was asked to do and his scheme fit - he was put behind the 8 ball from the beginning.

I think Dennison would have been a better fit Denver with Trevor than Mike McCoy was (fired mid-season) and I think McCoy would of been a much better fit here in Buffalo than he was in Denver.  Especially as McCoy had success with Tebow and some of that same playcall mentality could have worked with Tyrod. 

Unfortunately that is the nature of the NFL and hopefully Dabol can outshine both of them.

Edited by Rochesterfan

44 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I fully understand that.Dennsion did his best... it wasn’t a lack of adjustments or trying 

It was more putting square pegs in round holes

i should have said lack of SUCCESSFUL adjustments ?

And lack of talent.....

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Figster said:

Always a pleasure to hear your thoughts,

finding the middle ground, I like that summary

thanks for the reply

Nice to hear from you again also!  I usually enjoy what you bring to the conversation.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I agree - Dennison was slow to change and did not do the best to fit scheme and player and Dennison got and deserved a ton of blame. He certainly had more than his fair share of failed adjustments.  I just think it is not fair to say he did not adjust or try to adjust - it is just based upon what he was asked to do and his scheme fit - he was put behind the 8 ball from the beginning.

I think Dennison would have been a better fit in Denver with Trevor than Mike McCoy was (fired mid-season) and I think McCoy would of been a much better fit here in Buffalo than he was in Denver.  Especially as McCoy had success with Tebow and some of that same playcall mentality could have worked with Tyrod. 

Unfortunately that is the nature of the NFL and hopefully Dabol can outshine both of them.

I argued that Dennison can be a competent coordinator long ago, it’s all just fit. Not even good just average 

Simian looked 10x better under Dennison than McCoy and Simian probably wishes he still had him...

just wasnt a fit for TT or Shady

Edited by Buffalo716

It makes sense to adjust or implement adjustment onto the field as quickly as you can!  I think the label "halftime adjustments" developed over time in an era when technology was less available and maybe a coach actually needed to get the guys around him in the locker room in order to implement the change he wanted.

How many times have we seen Belichick scribbling notes with a little pencil (!) on a notecard right from the beginning of a game?  You know he is noting what is working and not working and/or how he wants to correct things, and he is not wasting any time.

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Pretty much as you stated... you work all week on a gameplan that you don’t toss after a series or 2... that halftime is time to tweak things in your game plan and focus on executing... tweaking too much may do more bad than good

i understand that but a football game is fluid and can change. I definitely don’t mean abandon your gameplan in a drive or 2

just if you are feeling the game isn’t going one way you need to adjust ASAP not wait

Abandoning your gameplan early is definitely a sign you did a bad job at scouting 

Something to remember in this is that there is a big difference between what the 2 coaches thought would work during the week leading up to the game, and what the game itself shows them actually works.

And the game may well not need more than a few possessions to show you.

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

It makes sense to adjust or implement adjustment onto the field as quickly as you can!  I think the label "halftime adjustments" developed over time in an era when technology was less available and maybe a coach actually needed to get the guys around him in the locker room in order to implement the change he wanted.

How many times have we seen Belichick scribbling notes with a little pencil (!) on a notecard right from the beginning of a game?  You know he is noting what is working and not working and/or how he wants to correct things, and he is not wasting any time.

Something to remember in this is that there is a big difference between what the 2 coaches thought would work during the week leading up to the game, and what the game itself shows them actually works.

And the game may well not need more than a few possessions to show you.

Yea it’s fluid. Every game is different and you should be able to “feel” how the game is flowing and adjust 

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Nah...I figured fisticuffs with Wrecks and Rob at some watering hole.  Copious amounts of alcohol would have been involved.

That would’ve been glorious and I would’ve tapped the whole thing ?

Great coach or not, every coach follows the script they write. They set the first 15-20 plays up during the week leading to the game. What they do afterwards is up to them, but football is about preparation and execution. If your players execute your script, then you don’t adjust. 

Imo if you’re adjusting your game plan in the 1st qtr you are not doing well at all.