Predictions For The Bills Surprise Cuts/Trades of The 2018 Preseason

8 hours ago, Frez said:

McCoy gets traded or released. 

I had this as my prediction before they took Allen. My thought was if they had gone with Cousins they would have traded/released McCoy and taken a RB in rounds 2-4, but I don't think it's likely they'll be relying on McCarron and/or a rookie QB to carry the bulk of the offense as it stands now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

(...) Who in this roster do you feel might be a candidate for a surprise cut or a surprise trade.  Here are a few thoughts:

Ryan Groy - He is in the final year of a 2 year $5,000,000 deal.  The Bills have him listed at guard and I know some are penciling him in at a starting guard spot.  However the coaching staff seemed very reluctant to use Groy at Guard when Richie Incognito was injured.  Is this a telling sign that they don't want him playing guard?  Or that they prefer him at Center?  Either way, with Wyatt Teller, Vlad Ducasse, and Jon Miller, there is definitely competition at that position.  The team also signed Russell Bodine for essentially the same money as Groy.  The difference is more money is guaranteed for Bodine, essentially making Groy more of a candidate for release. 

Remember that game where Chan Gailey started Levitre at center?

Yeah, that.

Smart teams carry a center, and a competent backup center.  If you have your backup center playing guard and he gets hurt, then who's your backup center?

Unless the Bills really like that C from Harvard they got (Adam Redmond) or acquire someone else who can play center, that's their reason to pencil Groy in as the backup center/guard.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, that.

Smart teams carry a center, and a competent backup center.  If you have your backup center playing guard and he gets hurt, then who's your backup center?

Unless the Bills really like that C from Harvard they got (Adam Redmond) or acquire someone else who can play center, that's their reason to pencil Groy in as the backup center/guard.

I believe that is absolutely how this regime sees it. They value center almost to an old school level. They come from an organisation that valued center as a leadership position, a tone setter and an anchor. 

They don't think all interior OL are interchangeable. If you are on their roster as a center they might ask you to get them out of a game at guard but they are not going to rely on you long term there because they want you at center. 

39 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, that.

Oh man the Levitre game...was that at Minnesota?  In shotgun, there was multiple times in which he didn't get any air on the ball, he was rolling it like a bowling ball.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I believe that is absolutely how this regime sees it. They value center almost to an old school level. They come from an organisation that valued center as a leadership position, a tone setter and an anchor. 

They don't think all interior OL are interchangeable. If you are on their roster as a center they might ask you to get them out of a game at guard but they are not going to rely on you long term there because they want you at center. 

This is a little off topic...but the center talk got me thinking about the Josh Allen film.  Does anyone else notice how bad the snaps from center were in the film?   High....high...high

Just now, HappyDays said:

A big surprise I could see happening is McCarron. I wouldn't say it's likely, maybe just a 20% chance, but if Peterman looks as good or better we don't need to pay his salary.

I think it would be absolutely cray cray to get rid of the only veteran QB experience you have on the team.  AJM is not making that much money for a QB to begin with

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A big surprise I could see happening is McCarron. I wouldn't say it's likely, maybe just a 20% chance, but if Peterman looks as good or better we don't need to pay his salary.

Yea I think they will only keep 2 myself and while Peterman is the longer shot to make it AJM is not assured if he and Peterman are neck and neck... especially if they are neck and neck for the backup job. If they are neck and neck for the starter I think AJM's live game experience he would get the nod. 

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think it would be absolutely cray cray to get rid of the only veteran QB experience you have on the team.  AJM is not making that much money for a QB to begin with

Normally I'd agree but the Bills didn't seek out any particular QB. They waited until every other team had signed someone and then they signed the last QB standing. So I don't think they care, they just need someone capable that can maybe start a few games at the beginning of the season. Like I said it's a small chance because it's dependent on Peterman beating out McCarron, but if he does I don't see why they'd keep McCarron around.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Normally I'd agree but the Bills didn't seek out any particular QB. They waited until every other team had signed someone and then they signed the last QB standing. So I don't think they care, they just need someone capable that can maybe start a few games at the beginning of the season. Like I said it's a small chance because it's dependent on Peterman beating out McCarron, but if he does I don't see why they'd keep McCarron around.

If McCarron was dropped there would be no veteran presence at that position. Even if McCarron was a backup he would still be useful in the film room and practice field for the future qb, Allen. As it stands McCarron is still at a bargain basement price and he can with no cost be pushed out the door next year. Another thing working in McCarron's favor for retention is that he seems like the kind of person who whatever his role is he would be a good teammate. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If McCarron was dropped there would be no veteran presence at that position. Even if McCarron was a backup he would still be useful in the film room and practice field for the future qb, Allen. As it stands McCarron is still at a bargain basement price and he can with no cost be pushed out the door next year. Another thing working in McCarron's favor for retention is that he seems like the kind of person who whatever his role is he would be a good teammate. 

I think Matt Moore and Derek Anderson are both still available and both have ties to Beane. I'm certainly not saying McC should get released, but if he proves to not be worth a roster spot there are veteran options with more experience.

26 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Oh man the Levitre game...was that at Minnesota?  In shotgun, there was multiple times in which he didn't get any air on the ball, he was rolling it like a bowling ball.

Miami as I recall.  It was raining, if I remember correctly.   Ask a guy who's never done it, to start at center in an away game in the rain.

Bad Things happen and not in the Bruce Smith Shoe Ad sense.

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think Matt Moore and Derek Anderson are both still available and both have ties to Beane. I'm certainly not saying McC should get released, but if he proves to not be worth a roster spot there are veteran options with more experience.

Why replace a qb with a similar qb at nearly the same price? If Allen emerges by his second year McCarron would still be a good backup qb. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Why replace a qb with a similar qb at nearly the same price? If Allen emerges by his second year McCarron would still be a good backup qb. 

You're making assumptions on cost and ability that I'm not ready to make. The premise I presented was that McCarron was so bad that he proved he wasn't worth a roster spot. However unlikely that may be.

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I think they will only keep 2 myself and while Peterman is the longer shot to make it AJM is not assured if he and Peterman are neck and neck... especially if they are neck and neck for the backup job. If they are neck and neck for the starter I think AJM's live game experience he would get the nod. 

Could just be me, but essentially if the Bills cut McCarron they will have paid him $4.9M to smile at the microphones a few times and play catch in shorts.

I don't think they gave him $4.9M guaranteed at signing to send the Turk after him even if, by some chance, he looks similar to Peterman in TC and preseason.

Preseason is not regular season as we know - some preseason heroes don't look good for-real.  $4.9M is a lot of jellybeans to pay a guy for a training camp competition with last year's rookie. 

IMHO, Beane and McDermott decided to swap McCarron in and Taylor out for a reason, and that reason had to do with keeping a guy who has been in the league a few years (and who had some specific qualities they felt that McCarron had and Taylor did not), whether he's playing or backup.

Just my view.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Could just be me, but essentially if the Bills cut McCarron they will have paid him $4.9M to smile at the microphones a few times and play catch in shorts.

I don't think they gave him $4.9M guaranteed at signing to send the Turk after him even if, by some chance, he looks similar to Peterman in TC and preseason.

Preseason is not regular season as we know - some preseason heroes don't look good for-real.  $4.9M is a lot of jellybeans to pay a guy for a training camp competition with last year's rookie. 

IMHO, Beane and McDermott decided to swap McCarron in and Taylor out for a reason, and that reason had to do with having a guy who has been in the league a few years in the QB room all season long, whether he's playing or backup.

Just my view.

I concur.

Zero reason to not keep all 3.

You have Peterman on a super cheap contract, and AJ on a great team friendly deal that is incentive laden, so if he doesn't win out, he's not making a ton of $$ and rides the pine.

No reason to not keep all 3.

Guys in jeopardy of not making the team:

Newhouse, Peterman, Gaines, Holmes, Washington, Ivory, Lorax, Thomas, Bush, Miller, Ducasse and Mills.

Obviously all of those guys aren’t going to get cut but I could see Mills or Newhouse. I could see Miller or Vlad, etc... I may be forgetting some but think that each of those guys is fighting for a roster spot. 

9 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

You're making assumptions on cost and ability that I'm not ready to make. The premise I presented was that McCarron was so bad that he proved he wasn't worth a roster spot. However unlikely that may be.

If McCarron was dreadful as your hypothetical premise suggests I'm sure he would be replaced just like any other player regardless of position. I'm confident that this staff knows what McCarron's ability is and what they can expect from him. His contract and term length reflect what their expectation of him is. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Guys in jeopardy of not making the team:

Newhouse, Peterman, Gaines, Holmes, Washington, Ivory, Lorax, Thomas, Bush, Miller, Ducasse and Mills.

Obviously all of those guys aren’t going to get cut but I could see Mills or Newhouse. I could see Miller or Vlad, etc... I may be forgetting some but think that each of those guys is fighting for a roster spot. 

I don't understand the want to move on from young guys on cheap deals.

He's making less than 800k a year, has 3 years (including this upcoming) at that price, I see zero reason to not just keep him as insurance backup until the end at least.

You aren't going to get a guy for that cheap to replace him.

27 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Dude.

He only has a $3.0 million cap hit and $4.9 in a dead cap hit if they release him.

Why would they spend $1.9 MORE in cap to cut a guy who hasn't even played a regular season game for them yet??

Y'all need to look at contracts before posing these suggestions.