Predictions For The Bills Surprise Cuts/Trades of The 2018 Preseason

4 hours ago, Frez said:

McCoy gets traded or released. 

That would be a gigantic move for sure.  When you look at the other RB’s on the roster, I can’t see this happening.  Chris Ivory or Travares Cadet as feature back?  It will never happen 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

To the bolded - he was but that was also by FAR his best game of the season. Jax suits him... they attack you downhill and Lorax still has some value moving forward.  When he is moving sideways or backwards he is an absolute liability and too many teams exploited that last year.  They have added another pass rusher which gives them depth at DE, they may well yet add another vet linebacker and I just think 'Zo's contribution in 2018 may well be limited to what he offers you as a leader and a locker room influence. I thought he was much more bad than good on defense and less impactful than in 2016 on special teams (he has noticeably got a little slower).  To me there must be a crossover point at which you aren't willing to pay for leadership but declining production and it wouldn't shock me if that point came this summer. 

There is normally a majority for 2 now.  In 2017 at final 53 day 19 teams kept two Quarterbacks and 13 kept three (and a couple of the teams keeping 3 - Cincy and Tampa) immediately put one of their 3 on the reserve / injured list.  

None of those are projected to be qualifying UFAs for comp pick purposes.  The Bills qualifying UFAs are:

Lotulelei

Murphy

McCarron

Bodine

Bush

Stanford

ahh ok thx...well I don't really see any of those names being cut..sooo I guess the names I wrote I still see being cut but just forget the whole comp pick thing..lol

Just now, Tsaikotic said:

ahh ok thx...well I don't really see any of those names being cut..sooo I guess the names I wrote I still see being cut but just forget the whole comp pick thing..lol

Gaines is the closest to being a qualifier of the ones you mentioned.  He would need to play a lot though and he'd need a lot of people above him to end up not on the roster of the team that signed them.  I think Gaines probably makes the roster though because they are short on experienced defensive backs.  

9 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

based on what?

Murphy is a stud & just signed a big FA deal. He is an absolute perfect fit for our D, I foresee 10 sacks. 0% chance he gets cut.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, eball said:

This goes down as one of the few serious (non-trolling) posts I disagree with almost completely.  Wow.  It's like we are watching and analyzing two totally different organizations.

1.  No way.  Team captain, veteran leader, true believer in "the process."  His snaps will be reduced.

2.  They like Ducasse, and you even admit he played well late last season.  I don't know what Miller's deal is.

3.  No way the Bills go with a rookie and McCarron as their only two QBs.

4.  Come on (see #1).

5.  Geez.  The guy is a perfect fit for McD's scheme.

Wildcard -- this is a McD draft pick.  No way they cut ties before year 2.

I think that might be a trolling post and agree on all of your points.

The only way I see Ducasse getting released is if he plays very poorly and Teller and Miller absolutely kill it.  I do agree that coaches do seem to like Vlad and I think he’s a safer pick than Groy 

3 minutes ago, 947 said:

Murphy is a stud & just signed a big FA deal. He is an absolute perfect fit for our D, I foresee 10 sacks. 0% chance he gets cut.

I don't think he'll get cut, either...but when has he been a stud before? 

5 hours ago, Frez said:

McCoy gets traded or released. 

Wait until camp when a RB on a contender goes down and a team is desperate for a RB. I think he would be able to get us a 2 or 3 from a team like say Dallas, NYG, JAX, etc. I think the return would be worth it too. Aging RB doesn't serve a purpose for us this year. I would also think that Charles Clay could be a good add to a contender in need of a TE if their starter goes down.

38 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

The only way I see Ducasse getting released is if he plays very poorly and Teller and Miller absolutely kill it.  I do agree that coaches do seem to like Vlad and I think he’s a safer pick than Groy 

Ducasse is one of the safer players on the roster.  He played better than most, myself included, expected in 2017 and he is Castillo's boy.  I'd be shocked if he doesn't start at RG, let alone make the roster.  I am a big John Miller fan and I would hope the move back to more of a power man scheme would suit him but I think he has an uphill battle to win the job back under this staff.  

12 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Not a chance Groy gets the axe....no way,no how. Bodine is the one that might be gone by September...picking him up a few months ago was a depth concern early.Not sure what happened with Miller last year...he was the starter until the middle of the rain filled Bengals game...then POOF...he never dressed again.

How Groy is not 1 on the depth chart at C or LG is beyond me? I see A. Washington and Holmes gone.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

I agree that he's not a lock.  However, who's replacing him?  

He was legit our best player on the field in the playoff game against Jax.  I'm not sure the 1.8 mil in cap savings is worth releasing a special teams contributor, and a player who can play both SAM and DE.

I could see trading lawson, as cutting him costs more than keeping him.  For those drawing a ragland parallel, he did start 10 games last year FWIW.  

Im hopeful that we cut mills TBH.

I don't hope we cut Mills until we have a clearly better player to replace him. Until then we better keep him.

4 hours ago, eball said:

This goes down as one of the few serious (non-trolling) posts I disagree with almost completely.  Wow.  It's like we are watching and analyzing two totally different organizations.

1.  No way.  Team captain, veteran leader, true believer in "the process."  His snaps will be reduced.

2.  They like Ducasse, and you even admit he played well late last season.  I don't know what Miller's deal is.

3.  No way the Bills go with a rookie and McCarron as their only two QBs.

4.  Come on (see #1).

5.  Geez.  The guy is a perfect fit for McD's scheme.

Wildcard -- this is a McD draft pick.  No way they cut ties before year 2.

My only response is to your number 3, how is having Peterman going to make the team (or QBs) better then not having him there? I dont think it will make a difference. AJ is the veteran and has played and started more games in his career then Peterman, and Allen is the future (potential starter this year). Petermans one year NFL career experience with less then 2 full games completed (one being the worst first half of play by a QB in the history of the league) isnt going to make or break the locker room. And with a new OC this year it cant even be said he has experience with the offence.

I do expect that they may try and sneak him through cuts to try and keep him on the PS though.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

There is normally a majority for 2 now.  In 2017 at final 53 day 19 teams kept two Quarterbacks and 13 kept three (and a couple of the teams keeping 3 - Cincy and Tampa) immediately put one of their 3 on the reserve / injured list.  

Ok, so my next question (sorry, I'm too lazy to do the research myself) would be how many of the 21 teams who kept two had an established starter?  I'm guessing most of them, while the teams who kept three likely had an "uncertain" situation at the position.

One can only hope that Mills and Ducasse have been upgraded to where they are expendable. I expect them to be kept around for depth though because injuries happen. 

I don't know if these are "surprise" picks, but here is my list.

Adolphus Washington. His fate may have been sealed the minute the Bills drafted Harrison Phillips. Add in Tenny Palepoi and Washington will have a tough time getting enough snaps.

Andre Holmes. With the addition of Jeremy Kerley and other younger receivers, Holmes will have to really justify his contract on this team. He will have to be the best Special Teams player on the Bills in order to survive.

Patrick DiMarco. He's the only Fullback on the team. If the Bills wanted to have a Fullback in the system, why didn't they add someone else for competition in training camp?

Ramon Humber. He wasn't missed that much when he went down with an injury last year. Tanner Vallejo and Deon Lacey are younger and have more upside.

John Miller. I really don't know what issues he is having, but he could get lost in the shuffle if he doesn't have a strong training camp.

Logan Thomas. I know he is just a back-up, but I don't think McDermott is going to wait much longer for him to become a top Tight End. Especially with Khari Lee, Jason Croom & Keith Towbrudge on the depth chart. Since those guys are REAL Tight Ends.

Actually....if Incognito and Wood were still here they would be on this list imo.   A lot of people are lamenting the loss of those 2 (and Glenn....who barely played last year) but i think they would have been gone anyways.

I think Adolphus Washington is in serious trouble.....he has not been as advertised