Predictions For The Bills Surprise Cuts/Trades of The 2018 Preseason

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Why cut him? The only reason to cut him is to  use the roster spot elsewhere. Say they like the development of Connor McDermott or Austin Proehl, what do they do? What if one of those receivers emerges as a Marcus Easley type of gunner? What about Ray-Ray as a return man? You can only keep 53 on the roster.

The 3rd QB is the least likely guy on your roster to ever play. That is why the majority of teams kept 2. We are at a point now where so many teams kept 2 guys that some quality options remain out there. Shaun Hill and Matt Moore were two that I mentioned. If McCarron/Allen gets hurt would the Bills be better off with a depth chart of McCarron/Allen and Moore or McCarron/Allen and Peterman? That’s what we are talking about because all of those guys not named Allen aren’t ever going to be more than the 2nd option here. 

We will agree to disagree then. 

I see no reason to cut him, and we are just arguing back and forth on something that we just flat out disagree on.

I would rather have a depth chart of McCarron/Allen/Peterman than McCarron/Allen + *insert name here* if one of the top guys gets hurt.

I will agree that none of the guys not named allen will ever be more than #2 option at best for Buffalo.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Can Edmunds play OLB? If so I'm fine with cutting Lorenzo or possibly moving him to back up. Then we can pick up Navarro Bowman to play the middle LB. I would love a starting LB core of Edmunds, Bowman, Milano. 

It likely will be Edmunds, Milano and Trent Murphy (yes I know he is listed as a DE but he played LB in Washington and Bills need the LB depth more).

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

We will agree to disagree then. 

I see no reason to cut him, and we are just arguing back and forth on something that we just flat out disagree on.

I would rather have a depth chart of McCarron/Allen/Peterman than McCarron/Allen + *insert name here* if one of the top guys gets hurt.

I will agree that none of the guys not named allen will ever be more than #2 option at best for Buffalo.

Fair enough, if you think Peterman > Matt Moore we probably aren’t going to come to an agreement on this. The only point that I was making is that the 3rd QB on EVERY NFL team is on the bubble. I said the exact same thing about Yates a year ago and was ripped for it. It turns out I was right. I think Peterman is more likely to make the team than Yates was but he is a bubble guy if (big if) Allen is close. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Fair enough, if you think Peterman > Matt Moore we probably aren’t going to come to an agreement on this. The only point that I was making is that the 3rd QB on EVERY NFL team is on the bubble. I said the exact same thing about Yates a year ago and was ripped for it. It turns out I was right. I think Peterman is more likely to make the team than Yates was but he is a bubble guy if (big if) Allen is close. 

Agreed

Backing up to what somebody said earlier, I think AJ is guaranteed a spot

Nate is on a bubble but I think they keep him bc like I said I prefer him to the other throwaways out there.

I also think that because we have such a huge ?? At QB is why we keep all 3, but yes, most teams with an entrenched starter don't.

I don’t know enough about the contracts, salary cap, dead money etc etc about who stays and who goes but more importantly I wonder about what additions that will be made before the start of the season. I would venture to say that the OL (Gs?), possibly a WR and a LB or 2. I’m more interested in who’s coming than who’s going.

Edited by Tipster19

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Could just be me, but essentially if the Bills cut McCarron they will have paid him $4.9M to smile at the microphones a few times and play catch in shorts.

I don't think they gave him $4.9M guaranteed at signing to send the Turk after him even if, by some chance, he looks similar to Peterman in TC and preseason.

Preseason is not regular season as we know - some preseason heroes don't look good for-real.  $4.9M is a lot of jellybeans to pay a guy for a training camp competition with last year's rookie. 

IMHO, Beane and McDermott decided to swap McCarron in and Taylor out for a reason, and that reason had to do with keeping a guy who has been in the league a few years (and who had some specific qualities they felt that McCarron had and Taylor did not), whether he's playing or backup.

Just my view.

I agree with what you are saying.  I do believe that they do like Nate Peterman.  I can’t see him getting released, but they won’t cut AJ either.  I really believe they’ll keep 3 QB’s on the roster.

28 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I agree with what you are saying.  I do believe that they do like Nate Peterman.  I can’t see him getting released, but they won’t cut AJ either.  I really believe they’ll keep 3 QB’s on the roster.

This may be viewed as inflammatory, but Peterman does have practice squad eligibility.  And there may not be a long line of teams wanting to snipe a 5th round QB who set a certain record last year, even if he did do OK throwing in a blizzard.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Bills Pimpin' said:

Wow, you put in a lot of time for a post that is so wrong it is hard to fathom. I disagree with every one of these and could go into detail, but I will just say one thing that encompasses them all... These are all McDermott and Beane guys either by picking them up or keeping them for leadership and will be integral parts of the makeup of the roster.

Terrible take on this subject.

The title of the post is surprise cuts.  

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s kind of the point. You can throw a rock and find a guy as good as him. If he is number 2 breaking camp he will be here. If he’s going to be number 3 then I think it’s unlikely (although he goes to the PS).

The cap space is totally irrelevant. He will barely even be in the top 51 and any vet that they may sign instead is not much different. That isn’t a factor here. The decision will be made entirely based on the roster breakdown. Peterman isn’t competing with a QB for a spot. He’s competing with ST players, OL, etc... Do they feel that there is a guy on the back of the roster that they need to protect? 

You know you are preaching to the converted here Kirby.... in fact I think I may have even founded this particular church.... but you are absolutely right. 3rd Quarterbacks are competing primarily with special teamers and upside backups. Peterman's best chance to be here in my opinion is Allen to clearly win the job and McCarron to look really bad. In that scenario Peterman as the #2 I can see. I just think that scenario is unlikely. 

If Peterman makes it at cut downs and the Bills carry 3 - he is still vulnerable to any positional injury. Say they keep him instead of a 6th receiver and then 2 get nicked up opening week? Or instead of a 5th corner and one of your starters goes down with a 3-4 week injury in week 3..... you are not putting that guy on IR but you need to open up a roster spot to bring in a guy to get you through 4 weeks. You look across the roster and ask "who don't I need?" The most obvious and glaring answer is that 3rd string, 5th round Quarterback. 

Even if Nate starts the season on our 53, I don't like his chances of ending it there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

C'mon man there is no agenda with me.

My only point is that he's a cheap backup option who is already on the roster, and is young so still might improve to be a serviceable backup.

That's literally my only hope for him.

So no, I have no agenda.

Keep trying.

Yeah it's an agenda based on the idea of protecting young talent the way you would protect a developmental OT or WR..........but the QB position is very different...........you don't need an inexperienced 3rd string QB who only has serviceable backup potential.   You really don't.   Guys like that are everywhere.       

If you were being rational about it and actually looked at the circumstances of teams and their backups around the league you would know that everyone has young cheap QB's with as much or more promise as Nate Pete..............literally every team.     The bigger question is do you keep a low ceiling over-aged but also inexperienced QB like Peterman for your practice squad or pick up one with a higher ceiling?

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it's an agenda based on the idea of protecting young talent the way you would protect a developmental OT or WR..........but the QB position is very different...........you don't need an inexperienced 3rd string QB who only has serviceable backup potential.   You really don't.   Guys like that are everywhere.       

If you were being rational about it and actually looked at the circumstances of teams and their backups around the league you would know that everyone has young cheap QB's with as much or more promise as Nate Pete..............literally every team.     The bigger question is do you keep a low ceiling over-aged but also inexperienced QB like Peterman for your practice squad or pick up one with a higher ceiling?

Over aged? He just turned 24.

There is no man.

Me and Kirby literally just discussed it.

He is of the opinion that you stick with two guys, and sign a Matt Moore if somebody gets hurt.

I would rather just keep Peterman on a cheap contract than scramble and hope you find a equivalent backup if the need arises.

It's a difference of opinion.

You have a completely unproven former backup in AJ, a rookie who you don't want to destroy in Allen, and a cheap contract 24 yo in Peterman who you can use as a sacrificial lamb if need be.

So unless they are struggling for roster space, I see no reason to cut him.

That's literally it.

No agenda.

Stop acting like I'm on my knees bowing to St Nate.

Buh Bye Shaq and let's not be in a hurry to offload last year's starting RT even if he is bad. No one has shown that they are any better. Our OL is a total mess right now. I just pray that kid they drafted at G in round 5 turns out to be the steal of the draft. We also need a miracle at WR. Someone has to step up. At least we'll have 3-4 new faces at WR to look at. I hope you're right about Logan Thomas. If we had 2 solid TE's, that would take some of the sting out of not having a speed WR.

Edited by GreggTX

Shaq Lawson will make this team. They are investing heavily in the DL and McDermott wants little to no drop-off when he rotates players. Shaq is pretty sound assignment-wise and plays the run well. If he can tap into his potential as a pass rusher, he has a chance to be pretty good. It's his third year, which is usually the make or break year for most players. He'll get a chance to prove himself beyond camp and preseason.