Questions about 2018 Roster

1.  Is the quarterback roster better or worse? Better
  2. Is the running back roster better/worse? Better.
  3. Is the right end/receivers better or worse? Same
  4. Is the the offensive line better or worse? Worse.
  5. Is the the defensive line better/worse? Better.
  6. Is the linebackers better or worse? Better.
  7. Is the defensive backs better or worse? Better.

If you say that at least 4 out of the 7 have improved why would your expectations be less than 9-7 and playoffs? No backsliding anymore.10-6 and a playoff victory

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not sure that even the Bills are as optimistic as you are. I think that long-term the QB play is better but it is likely to be worse this year. The RB position is a year older running behind a worse OL. The pass catchers are the same as they were before, bad. 

The defense should improve. They have a chance to be good. This team looks like it takes a step back to me. I’m fine with that as long as Allen is the guy.

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not sure that even the Bills are as optimistic as you are. I think that long-term the QB play is better but it is likely to be worse this year. The RB position is a year older running behind a worse OL. The pass catchers are the same as they were before, bad. 

The defense should improve. They have a chance to be good. This team looks like it takes a step back to me. I’m fine with that as long as Allen is the guy.

Pretty much where I'm at.

QB: Worse

RB: Same

WR: Same

OL: Worse

DL: Better

LB: Same

DB: Same

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

If you say that at least 4 out of the 7 have improved why would your expectations be less than 9-7 and playoffs? No backsliding anymore.10-6 and a playoff victory

I've been saying something similar. Why are we lowering expectations based on the same negative nonsense that we said this time last year? 

But it's all good, they'll feel disrespected again, and use it as motivation on route to 10 wins.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think they stayed the same in most aspects. This isn't a stacked roster by any means. It doesn't have a ton of depth but the starters are solid at most positions. Oline and WR are weak to average. 

This year will be interesting because if Josh Allen plays like they hope he can, the team could look a lot better quick. If he struggles or needs more time, it could be a rough year. 

I think they are trending upward long term however. I feel as good about the direction the team is heading in as I have in a long time. Feels like an actual plan in place now as opposed to, lets try this or that for this season. a 5 year plan instead of a one year plan

38 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

From this perspective, I'm just focusing on the short-term since you're putting it in the context of whether or not this team will be better this year:

1. Worse

2. Same

3. Worse

4. Worse

5. Better

6. Same or slightly better

7. Worse

On top of this, I don't think Buffalo was really a 9 win team last year. I'd say they played like a 7ish win team and are probably worse this year.

I think we still hava an 7-9 to 10-6 roster, it will all depend on who the offense can adapt to the new OC, who the o-line gel together. I trust the defense will keep us in a lot of games, but the Offense needs to step up.

44 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

i wouldn't poopoo the oline just yet. i know it takes time to jell, but if we went dawkins, groy or teller, bodine, miller, newhouse..

we could be fine. i don't think groy will be a huge drop off and may be even slightly above average and i think bodine/wood is a wash. newhouse should be an upgrade at rt.

33 minutes ago, elltrain22 said:

Problem with that is, IMHO, our offensive line is ALOT worse, and I can see this really making passing & running difficult. We really need to bolster this unit in order for offense to do damage. 

I really don’t think it’s going to be as bad as people are saying. Losing Glenn really doesn’t affect anything. He’s barely played the last couple seasons. Dawkins stepped in and did awesome last year. Incognito was on the downslope of his career. He’s 34 years old and maybe had one more year left. I loved Eric Wood but he was pretty average. We signed Jeff Bodine in the offseason to play center and we also have Groy who has been a very solid backup for us. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Only disagreement here is #3. IMO the wide receiver group is worse. Not expecting anything from draft picks #6 and #7. I believe on of them was a charity pick by Beane since he knows the kid foreever. Maybe they Could have got those guys as udfa's. 

Jones to date is a trainwreck. Benjamin may or may not make it through the season. Ditto Charles Clay. No speed on the outside. Unless one of the very medicore free agent signings lights it up. What are the chances of that? 

1 hour ago, Tatonka68 said:

The ceiling of the QB roster (ie Allen)  may be better. But as others have pointed out,  QB performance for this coming season is a big question mark and may actually be worse.   I know I am not going to hold my breath with McCarron.   Wouldn't be surprised if he stinks up the joint.

1 hour ago, Tatonka68 said:

I'll answer that question...  Because we're not very good - even if we're better.

Both our offense and defense were ranked in the bottom half of the league last year.   Timely take-aways and minimal turnovers gave us a winning record.  

We can't count on the getting take-aways at critical times this year.

• Like (+1) 1

I think how well we do will directly translate to the turnovers we create.

Not much pass rush last year yet our secondary was awesome.....now our secondary is awesome and we have some potential to be much better in getting after the QB and stopping the run so perhaps the winning of the turnover battle doesnt dry up on us like it did last year?

I expect us to run the ball....a lot....if we are gonna do that I REALLY hope we platoon our backs so that Ivory takes some of the punishment.