Zay Jones - 2018

9 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I think he will improve. He doesnt have Taylor throwing him the ball. Yes Zay dropped passes he should have caught but he also had a bunch of crap passes thrown his way. 

This is such bs

Say what you want about TT.....but passes were hitting Zay IN THE HANDS

When that is supposed to be your forte in college dont B word about the QB when the football actually hits you in the hands.

Need one of 2 things to happen.

1) He improves massively on his routes, which improves his separation.

2) He improves drastically at coming down with contested catches.

Last year he struggled with both, but I see no reason why he can't improve in either area this year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...didn't he play with a torn labrum most of the season?.............

theys does not explain his lack of running good routes and looking lost at times. It does explain how hard it was for him to stretch or reach for balls.

Different OC and Rec Coach might do them all some good.
But i would not bet a dime on Jones.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloTX said:

Neither was Eric Mould's first 2 years. He was a 1st round pick

no, Zay was horrific. I have yet to see an upside since drafted. College ? Sure.

lets hope it clicks for him

cuz itz menatl

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

New to this forum.  I’m a lonely Bills fan in Santa Barbara. 

Im curious about everyone’s opinion of Zay Jones for the upcoming season.  I know he has nowhere to go but up, but will he blossom this year and make a major contribution?  I think a solid performance by him could go a long way to getting this offense to the middle of the pack. 

Welcome!  We are finally getting some nice weather in NY. I have heard from many places over the years that WRs make a nice jump into year two.  In Zay's case.... I pray it is a leap!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

Exactly right. Many thought Moulds was a bust until he exploded in his third year. He was a beast. Different guy than Zay, but the kid will find his way.

Marv didn't play Moulds much his first season.   Was a big believer in sitting rooks.

I remember he ran a kickoff back for a TD

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

This is such bs

When that is supposed to be your forte in college dont B word about the QB when the football actually hits you in the hands.

Like the pass in Carolina?

Zay will be fine. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

I bet he steps up. Less nerves less pressure in his 2nd year since he knows what being the NFL is like week to week. I bet hes been hittin the jug machine like crazy this off season... well except for thzt time he jumped out a  window or some sht

I'm expecting he also will do much better with a QB throwing the ball a bit more consistently.  (I'm thinking Allen)

All those short throws to his toes and behind him probably weren't helping his confidence.

This is such bs

This is just too bizarre.  TT was almost never on target - usually behind, and often at the feet of his receivers.

Yeah - Zay lost his confidence after a few weeks of that.  So did the coaching staff - with Tyrod, a very mediocre QB who will likely never be a starter again in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BobChalmers said:

I'm expecting he also will do much better with a QB throwing the ball a bit more consistently.  (I'm thinking Allen)

All those short throws to his toes and behind him probably weren't helping his confidence.

No it was dropping and mis playing more than 2 catches a game that NFL caliber receivers are expected to make, and then he would get outplayed almost every important 1 v 1 deep throw to him all season. He short comings are in him and him alone. Hes dropped so many that hit him right jn the hands hes gonna need a strong comeback season.

• Like (+1) 1

This is such bs

Exactly how many did he drop that hit him in the hands?  Yes he did drop some thrown right at him, but TT did nothing to help him or any WR by often throwing passes that are hard to catch and just not throwing much to WR in general.  Lets put it this way playing with TT didn't help him any.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

no, Zay was horrific. I have yet to see an upside since drafted. College ? Sure.

lets hope it clicks for him

cuz itz menatl

Moulds 32 receptions for 342 0 TD

Jones 27receptions for 316 2 TD

Not much different between the two

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Exactly how many did he drop that hit him in the hands?  Yes he did drop some thrown right at him, but TT did nothing to help him or any WR by often throwing passes that are hard to catch and just not throwing much to WR in general.  Lets put it this way playing with TT didn't help him any.

https://youtu.be/u02tAt9Iv4g?t=66

Just one example, albeit hilarious.

• Like (+1) 1

I hope he remembers to wear clothes! 

Other than that, I’ve been consistent in saying I think he has a nice bounce back year. It might be tough to have a big stat year, given our questionable OLine and unknown QB, but run solid routes, get open and catch what you can touch. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

This is just too bizarre.  TT was almost never on target - usually behind, and often at the feet of his receivers.

Yeah - Zay lost his confidence after a few weeks of that.  So did the coaching staff - with Tyrod, a very mediocre QB who will likely never be a starter again in the NFL.

Don’t look now but he is starting for another team

the revisionist history is stupid like zay was not dropping catchable balls because of who was throwing it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Moulds 32 receptions for 342 0 TD

Jones 27receptions for 316 2 TD

Not much different between the two

stats are not always the tell all.
 and the offseason thing ? well, i remain  a skeptic. BTW i was very excited when they drafted him.

I am sure we both watched all the games. Tyrod was of course Tyrod. But some of those drops and confused hands and feet were certainly not on Taylor.
 Moulds never looked that bad. He just did not look that good yet.

Do not like the comparison so many turn to Ed. I get your point though

• Like (+1) 1

Biggest wild card on team. We're going to need him to earn his investment we took. Remember, we traded up for him . He showed glimpses, rarely, but you can see the potential if he can find the consistentcy.

He steps up and suddenly that WR group isn't too shabby...

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

stats are not always the tell all.
 and the offseason thing ? well, i remain  a skeptic. BTW i was very excited when they drafted him.

I am sure we both watched all the games. Tyrod was of course Tyrod. But some of those drops and confused hands and feet were certainly not on Taylor.
 Moulds never looked that bad. He just did not look that good yet.

Do not like the comparison so many turn to Ed. I get your point though

I tend to agree. Many receivers are slow too develop without looking downright horrific in their rookie season. It’s difficult for me to have a positive perception of someone who looked as bad as Zay in his rookie season. Hopefully I’m wrong, and Zay becomes a reliable receiver for years to come. It’s just not my expectation as this point. 

54 minutes ago, Augie said:

I hope he remembers to wear clothes! 

Other than that, I’ve been consistent in saying I think he has a nice bounce back year. It might be tough to have a big stat year, given our questionable OLine and unknown QB, but run solid routes, get open and catch what you can touch. 

Let’s hope he doesn’t. He ran a far more precise route without them. Compare the “fight for Jesus route” with the Carolina drop route.  On one route he’s clumsily tripping over his feet, while he runs like a fine tuned athlete on the other.  

• Like (+1) 1