Zay Jones - 2018

Personally, I think it's really hard to form opinions on Bills receivers based on the past few years due to the dreadfulness of our passing offense in general and the throwing inadequacies of our quarterback in particular. Case in point? Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, Chris Hogan, and Marquise Goodwin were considered a "below average" WR corps in Buffalo. Suddenly, they're all quality players elsewhere. The Bills threw the ball with such seldomness and inefficiency that it's simply difficult to deduce much useful data about the players in said offense.

In terms of Zay Jones, the thing that seemed to plague him last year was a case of the Yips. He dropped a few early passes and got into his own head about it and couldn't get out of his own way. It also came out later that he played most of the year with a torn labrum.

All together, given the jump in competition level he faced in year one, the jump receivers typically make from year one to year two, his return to full health, and the additions of what will hopefully prove to be higher quality passers, I expect Zay Jones to make a big jump in production and quell any questions about whether he's a bust. I never expect him to turn into a top 20 receiver in the NFL, but I think he'll have a long career as a dependable chain-moving slot possession receiver. In order for him to reach optimal production, it really seems to me he needs to play primarily out of the slot and not be depended on to be "the guy" in the passing game.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Marv didn't play Moulds much his first season.   Was a big believer in sitting rooks.

I remember he ran a kickoff back for a TD

Year two was meh. Year three was a stunner. Love to have that kind of talent on the team now.

• Like (+1) 1

If it were just the drops I'd be more optimistic. He seemed to have trouble adjusting to balls and making plays on the passes thrown to him. The game seemed a little to fast for him. Given that he's not super big or super fast, he really need to master the receiving craft if he's going to make it.

• Like (+1) 2

My big issue outside of his drop issues was the way that he was utilized. In college, he was almost exclusively used on underneath stuff: screens, drags, curls, etc. and he was by far at his best when playing out of the slot. In Buffalo, he was lined up out wide and asked to be the team's intermediate/deep threat, two areas where he has always struggled. The fact that he struggled as a result isn't really a surprise.

Personally, I think he was extremely overrated in the draft last year anyways, so my expectations have never been particularly high with him and I think they could have gotten a similar player far later in the draft, but Buffalo is stuck with him and should at least try to utilize him to his strengths. They didn't do that with his rookie season. In fact, Dennison used played to very few of his players' strengths last year.

• Like (+1) 1

A friend of mine is a big ECU booster.  He absolutely loved Zay coming out of college and would text me throughout last season.  He claims Zay's family is incredibly solid and supportive, and thinks last year was just a bit of a shock for him.  He expects Zay to really turn the corner this season.  Fingers crossed.

11 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Zay is the modern day Chris Kelsay

Some folks have to have a wiping boy  

I think those are typically reserved for royalty.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, eball said:

A friend of mine is a big ECU booster.  He absolutely loved Zay coming out of college and would text me throughout last season.  He claims Zay's family is incredibly solid and supportive, and thinks last year was just a bit of a shock for him.  He expects Zay to really turn the corner this season.  Fingers crossed.

That is my expectation too.   It's an adjustment from college to the NFL for every player, but I kind of think Zay had extra pressure on him due to the family ties.  It's not easy to live up to expectations sometimes, he needs to continue to work hard, but he needs to learn to relax and let the game come to him as well.   

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Don’t look now but he is starting for another team

the revisionist history is stupid like zay was not dropping catchable balls because of who was throwing it

No one else caught them either.   

The Bills passing game with Tyrod was ??

Browns traded a 3rd round pick for a guy who will be keeping the bench warm all winter long.  

Time for Zay to shine.     He had 399 catches pre Taylor. 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

No one else caught them either.   

The Bills passing game with Tyrod was ??

Browns traded a 3rd round pick for a guy who will be keeping the bench warm all winter long.  

Time for Zay to shine.     He had 399 catches pre Taylor. 

Everyone else caught Tyrod's passes far more than Zay. It isn't even remotely close to be honest. Using PlayerProfiler.com's numbers, here's the numbers (keep in mind that they eliminating "uncatchable" passes):

Benjamin: 71.6% catch rate, 9.0% drop rate

Thompson: 73.1% catch rate, 5.8% drop rate

Matthews: 80.6% catch rate, 9.7% drop rate

Zay Jones: 61.4% catch rate, 15.9% drop rate

I also took the liberty of finding a bunch of WRs that could be grouped with Zay based on the average route depth, listed below:

Josh Doctson

Alshon Jeffery

Corey Coleman

Mike Wallace

AJ Green

Tyrell Williams

Ricardo Lewis

Torrey Smith

DeAndre Hopkins

That group's averages were 73.9% and 8.5% respectively. Everyone, with the exception of Doctson and Zay, fell within a range of 70.4% to 78.7% in terms of catch percentage. Zay and Doctson were at 61.4% and 62.5% respectively. In terms of drop %, Ricardo Lewis (20%) was the only player that was worse than Zay, though Coleman (15.6%) was close to Zay as well. Everyone else ranged from 4.9% to 10.9%.

Looking at the top 10 rookie WRs in terms of targets, we're left with a group of:

Cooper Kupp

Juju Smith-Schuster

Keelan Cole

Trent Taylor

Zay Jones

Corey Davis

Kenny Golladay

Chris Godwin

Dede Westbrook

Kendrick Bourne

In that group, the average (excluding Zay), had a catch percentage of 78.7% and a drop % of 5.2% (again, compared to 61.4% and 15.9% for Zay). Nobody is within 10% of Zay in terms of catch %, with the range outside of him going from 71.8% (Golladay) to 91.9% (Godwin). In terms of drop %, Dede Westbrook is the closest at 14.7%.

Suffice to say, Zay was horrible compared to his teammates, compared to those that ran similarly deep routes, and compared to his fellow rookie class.

Again, there's room for hope; I think Dennison pretty much put him in positions that played to his greatest weaknesses rather than his strengths, and he was reportedly playing through an injury as well, but he was objectively horrific as a rookie.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is such bs

Say what you want about TT.....but passes were hitting Zay IN THE HANDS

When that is supposed to be your forte in college dont B word about the QB when the football actually hits you in the hands.

How quickly we forget after the season is over. Zay did drop some good passes by Taylor. There were also bad passes by Taylor that he caught. Lets not forget that over 35% of the passes thrown his way were uncatchable. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lets hope they get him an appointment with Nelson Agholor's sports psychologist and the QB and coaches put him in a position to ball out.  If NA could recover from what he was going through I have hope for Zay.  We need some mid-tier players to step up and surprise us and the league. 

Edited by YodaMan79
  • Like (+1) 1

It's very hard for college WR's to step in and contribute on a WR1 or WR2 level. NFL db's are so much faster, bigger, and stronger than they are accustomed to and its a heck of  a learning curve for them. Once in a while, you get a talent like Julio Jones or OBJ, but for the most part, most rookie WR's  struggle. 

Zay played hurt all season, plus Tyrod never threw the ball to him or any WR ever!! Plus, Dennison didn't design too many plays for Zay to do what he does best. Why do I believe that Zay will have a much better 2nd season?? 

• Better at the QB position
  • Hopefully better offensive scheme that will utilize Zay properly in the passing game. Properly means, use him in  the slot, run slants, posts, and any route that involves cutting and using his terrific feet.
  • He is a complete WR. Speed, decent size, good at running routes,  and has great hands. Struggled a bit last year, but I would bet anyone that this is  def not a pattern of things to come
  • Like (+1) 1

I really wanted JuJu but I think Zay just lost his confidence and that’s huge as a pro.  I think no one questioned his hands so when he has all those drops, it’s more about confidence than ability.

that said, I don’t think Zay will ever be a star type receiver.  His ceiling is probably Robert Woods, but obviously it’s dependent on qb play.

• Like (+1) 1