Interviews/Commentary about Josh Allen (WY OC, Palmer, Joe B etc)

I was going to post this but saw that you did!

It really is a great read from someone who has worked A lot with Allen over the last 3 years

Listening to Bohl and his OC have really sold me. You can tell they are serious when they talk about how Allen changed their program 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Nice write up - I have been and remain very excited to see what he brings to the table.  That said - I sincerely hope and have said so several times that AJ is able to keep Josh firmly on the bench for at least a year so he can soak up the NFL expectations and atmosphere.  Throwing him in there because they "feel a need to change things up" will not be good for him at all.  Look what has happened to Peterman.  Not saying NP is good/great or otherwise - just saying throwing him up the wolves didn't help him on many many levels.

It's one thing to throw a QB "to the wolves", but what the coaches did with Peterman was throw him to the hungriest, most vicious "wolves" in the NFL in the LA pass rush, while employing probably the worst possible fighting strategy that they could have. By that, I mean they seemed to expect him to come out and sling it much more than they should have. The smart approach would have been to lean heavily on the run, and give NP more opportunities out of play-action, with a heavier dose of draws and screens to help negate the pass rush. Perhaps their thinking was that LA expected the Bills to do that, and maybe were guilty of over thinking things regarding their game plan. I know hindsight is 20/20, and 5 picks happened, but that's what I expected to see going into that game with a rookie QB making his first start and first playing time. 

The decision to bench Tyrod had been and is still criticised immensely by the media, but I'm not questioning the Bills' reasoning for doing it. It's just that it could have had a much different ending than it did, had they handled it properly IMO. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I may be one of the few who say "to hell" with letting a couple of chumps (McCarron and Peterman) lead the team to mediocrity (or worse) this season while an elite talent is wasting away on the sideline.  Rodgers got to watch Favre.  Allen is watching who???

Coach the kid up this summer, provide a sound gameplan, and let 'er rip.

• Like (+1) 1

Here were my take-aways:

1. Allen is a natural passer (When it is all said and done, that was EJ's greatest failing; playing the QB position just never came natural to him)

2. He has off-the-charts talent

3. He is very bright and is very coachable

4. He played in a relatively pro style system and had responsibilities that many of the other rookie QBs did not

5. He still has plenty of work to do to prove that he can compete at the next level

I am getting more and more excited about Josh Allen as a potential franchise QB. I would be even more excited if I were 100% convinced that the Bills offensive coaches have what it takes to coach him up.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

I would be even more excited if I were 100% convinced that the Bills offensive coaches have what it takes to coach him up.

That right there is my biggest concern.  I would like to see them bring in someone with a good track record that can coach him.

• Like (+1) 1

Doesn't answer the question, says everything. Allen is a tremendous physical talent that can retain a great deal of information, but he can't process the game within the 2.5 seconds between snap to throw.

JM: Where do you feel he’s at with his processing skills and decision-making?

BV: I think he’s in a good place to make this transition. His improvement in his three years with us was significant. The attention to detail and what I’d call the pure consumption of the details will continue to grow as it should when this is becoming your job. He’s a guy that enjoys football and all the things that come with it. That obviously contributes to how much a guy understands and how much he’s willing to put into it.

I think he’s in a good place. The foundation has certainly been laid down. From all I could gather in talking with him over the last little bit, he’s certainly enjoyed the time he’s spent with the Buffalo Bills’ coaching staff. I think that’s very important. He’s really eager to get to work with them. He feels like they can continue to make him better.

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think I'll take the word over his actual coach vs. guys on Internet blog sites that have never spent time with the kid.

Yes, believe the coach. The coaches actions speak load and clear. He had a potential top 10 QB in his 3rd year and was afraid to throw the football.

4 hours ago, One Buffalo said:

Good read... thanks for sharing!  

I like his reference to the team factors and how that contributed to Allen's lower completion %.  As he says, Allen is being unfairly blamed for what was a team problem-

This was the first time I had heard that.  All of us who saw lots of his game tapes can clearly see that their line struggled mightily in pass protection.  Allen seemed to be scrambling the whole time but the fact that they rushed for roughly 50% of what they had the year before really just goes to show you how bad their line was and what sort of situations he was having to throw out of.  When you rush for about 100 yards a game you are going to have lots of third and longs.   

All people have to do is look at the video of him and you'll see that 56% completion number that is often cited is a bogus way of defining him from an accuracy standpoint.   

I don't believe accuracy will be a defining issue for him as an NFL QB.   He just needs to know that he doesn't have to always try to make a play, work on resetting his footwork when he's pressured and not always believe that he has to bail the pocket when pressured.  I think he'll learn these things with time and end up being a fine QB in this league.

• Like (+1) 1

Good read.  After a week I'm liking the Allen pick (was certainly mad initially).  I still have some reservations.  I wonder what Daboll's plan is for him.  I think we will be in for some great football in the years to come with Allen vs Darnold.  I hope they both succeed but Darnold just has more bad games vs the Bills.  But that would be something.  Two guys, who trained together competing in the same division and pushing each other's teams to greatness, again, Darnold just don't do it vs the Bills LOL.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Doesn't answer the question, says everything. Allen is a tremendous physical talent that can retain a great deal of information, but he can't process the game within the 2.5 seconds between snap to throw.

Yes, believe the coach. The coaches actions speak load and clear. He had a potential top 10 QB in his 3rd year and was afraid to throw the football.

what? this is just plain wrong.

49 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Go ahead, Im listening.

for starters, the question was answered in the very first sentence. perhaps that escaped your reading comprehension. secondly, if you have watched any game tape at all, you would know that he processes the game fairly well within the time from snap to throw. did you read the entire article or did that escape your reading comprehension as well? it has to be one or the other because if you had read the entire article and comprehended what was said you would have gotten that Allen did not have the best OL and what that entails.

lastly, the coach was afraid to throw the ball? come on, this ignorant statement alone says you have no clue.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Foxx said:

for starters, the question was answered in the very first sentence. perhaps that escaped your reading comprehension. secondly, if you have watched any game tape at all, you would know that he processes the game fairly well within the time from snap to throw. did you read the entire article or did that escape your reading comprehension as well? it has to be one or the other because if you had read the entire article and comprehended what was said you would have gotten that Allen did not have the best OL and what that entails.

lastly, the coach was afraid to throw the ball? come on, this ignorant statement alone says you have no clue.

At a good place is dodging. Then he changes the subject to talk about his work habits. 

No, he doesn't process well on film. That's the whole discussion about Allen. We've been having this discussion all offseason, before he was drafted by Buffalo. That doesn't change just because he's a Bill. 

Wyoming built their team around running the football, not their QB. Did they trust him? Sure, why not. Let's say they did. They didn't show it. 

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

What a load of crap.  His coach highlighted things he does well and that he has work to do to be a good NFL QB

29 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Coach can say whatever he wants, people will buy it. You bought it. 

Damn dude, are you that certain of your player evaluation abilities? I wish I had 1/10th the talent you do, I'd parlay that into a full time gig.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

Here were my take-aways:

1. Allen is a natural passer (When it is all said and done, that was EJ's greatest failing; playing the QB position just never came natural to him)

2. He has off-the-charts talent

3. He is very bright and is very coachable

4. He played in a relatively pro style system and had responsibilities that many of the other rookie QBs did not

5. He still has plenty of work to do to prove that he can compete at the next level

I am getting more and more excited about Josh Allen as a potential franchise QB. I would be even more excited if I were 100% convinced that the Bills offensive coaches have what it takes to coach him up.

6.  He's a good teammate.

7.  He loves to compete.

McDermott loves this guy. 

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

Damn dude, are you that certain of your player evaluation abilities? I wish I had 1/10th the talent you do, I'd parlay that into a full time gig.

No I'm not. I like Allen as a 1st round prospect. I like drafting QB's because no one knows. No one is perfect when evaluating QB's. I wouldn't have taken Allen over Rosen. I definitely wouldn't have traded up for Allen. But Allen is well worth a 1st round pick, I just don't see a franchise QB you hand over the franchise to year 1. He has tools to develop. I worry about his ability to process quickly. I don't like QB's that struggle to make quick decisions on film. I've fallen for QB's that look the part like Jimmy Clausen and been totally wrong. What I have yet to see is a QB that struggles to make quick decisions succeed in the NFL without being a great running QB.