Interviews/Commentary about Josh Allen (WY OC, Palmer, Joe B etc)

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I agree somewhat with the fact that Jordan Palmer has Allen as a client and so he is going to say extremely favorable things about him.

But if you or I am going to acknowledge that, we must also acknowledge that Jordan Palmer wants to be doing this for the rest of his life, and if he talks up a guy like that who tanks, he is not going to have that dream job very long. So he's not likely to be saying things he doesn't believe to be true.

Let's not forget that Palmer had Darnold & Allen in his clinic this year

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I agree somewhat with the fact that Jordan Palmer has Allen as a client and so he is going to say extremely favorable things about him.

But if you or I am going to acknowledge that, we must also acknowledge that Jordan Palmer wants to be doing this for the rest of his life, and if he talks up a guy like that who tanks, he is not going to have that dream job very long. So he's not likely to be saying things he doesn't believe to be true.

You make a good point.    OTOH, who was it that EJ Manuel had as a QB coach who enthused about how much he'd improved? 

I dunno that these guys have all that much accountability on the line.  They can always say "I coached him to do X, you could see the improvement in shorts, it's hard for the player to keep that up under game-day pressure blah blah"

...still don't like this QB Coach head scratcher at OBD with Culley......Dorsey to an Asst Athletics Director job at FIU......Palmer has worked with quite a few......maybe he prefers to free lance with clients versus QB Coach position........doesn't hurt to ask......

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You make a good point.    OTOH, who was it that EJ Manuel had as a QB coach who enthused about how much he'd improved? 

I dunno that these guys have all that much accountability on the line.  They can always say "I coached him to do X, you could see the improvement in shorts, it's hard for the player to keep that up under game-day pressure blah blah"

While what you say is true, it's a little different for QB coaches and coaches in general. They almost always build their guys up. A QB coach doesn't really have to take the blame because there is the OC and HC above him making decisions and the player himself who usually gets the blame if he sucks. In fact, you rarely hear about a QB coach who stinks or gets the blame. They usually get credit when the player does well but not the blame when he does poorly. Look at David Lee.

Paler went out of his way to promote a guy that was getting boatloads of criticism for his shortcomings. I imagine he believes most of it. How well Allen does is a huge question mark regardless.

1 hour ago, chris heff said:

Once college career is over they can accept money from their agent, pay it back after signing.

Interesting, good to know.  Another thing an agent can do for the draft prospects. 

Palmer said there was a 3rd QB there with Darnold and Allen - Kyle Allen (no relation to Josh) who just signed as an UDFA with the Panthers.

I wonder how it works when the prospect is not in line for a big contract, or even to be drafted at all. 

UDFA get 3 year contracts and not much signing bonus, maybe $10k right? 

He'll get $31k per game if he makes the team, $7,200/wk for the taxi squad but big "ifs" there. 

I guess draft prospects have to look at it like a college loan, a financial investment in yourself to help you achieve your goals.

I dunno what 3 months of beach house, board, and full-time coaching and physical training would cost, but more than $10k apiece I would think?  Anyone have a clue?

14 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

While what you say is true, it's a little different for QB coaches and coaches in general. They almost always build their guys up. A QB coach doesn't really have to take the blame because there is the OC and HC above him making decisions and the player himself who usually gets the blame if he sucks. In fact, you rarely hear about a QB coach who stinks or gets the blame. They usually get credit when the player does well but not the blame when he does poorly. Look at David Lee.

Paler went out of his way to promote a guy that was getting boatloads of criticism for his shortcomings. I imagine he believes most of it. How well Allen does is a huge question mark regardless.

Exactly like the editors and publishers I know. If a book becomes a bestseller, they say, "Look what we did with this bag of horse manure." If it flops, they say, "What could we do with this bag of horse manure?"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, GG said:

Let's not forget that Palmer had Darnold & Allen in his clinic this year

This is a fair point and I haven't seen him talk about Darnold nearly as much. Maybe he really saw something in Josh Allen. If he ends up sucking that will make it look like Palmer has no clue what he's talking about, so in some ways he's staking his own reputation on Allen's development.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is a fair point and I haven't seen him talk about Darnold nearly as much. Maybe he really saw something in Josh Allen. If he ends up sucking that will make it look like Palmer has no clue what he's talking about, so in some ways he's staking his own reputation on Allen's development.

To be truthful, if I were Darnold and his client just as much, I'd be kinda pissed except that Darnold went #3 overall and got the big payday and is supposedly tight with Allen after their 3 months as beach-house buddies, so maybe it's "all good"

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...still don't like this QB Coach head scratcher at OBD with Culley......Dorsey to an Asst Athletics Director job at FIU......Palmer has worked with quite a few......maybe he prefers to free lance with clients versus QB Coach position........doesn't hurt to ask......

Actually with rules on limit of contact between coaches and players during offseason it is better for Allen to work with Palmer as a non-coach as long as Palmer is not giving contradictory instructions.

I wonder what Palmer told Allen about his 5 days in Buffalo?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Badanswer said:

Thanks.  I heard about this interview and have been wanting to see it.

This is just another arrow in my "don't rush this young man's" quiver.

If I see Josh Allen on the field against the Ravens, Chargers or Vikings defenses and/or in a shootout with Aaron Rodgers I will not

believe in the McBeane "process" talk any more.

That being said I don't believe I will.  Do the right thing OBD.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Actually with rules on limit of contact between coaches and players during offseason it is better for Allen to work with Palmer as a non-coach as long as Palmer is not giving contradictory instructions.

I wonder what Palmer told Allen about his 5 days in Buffalo?

...great point and interesting question..

5 hours ago, Badanswer said:

Thanks you for this. I  had not seen it (believe it or not). Someone should make it a point to play this to the Bills top brass, every week or so, if things start getting dicey with AJ.

• Like (+1) 1

As a guy who doesn’t watch college ball, it was nice to see him throw with some nice touch on the TDs and on one of those short crossers.

He hit a couple semi faded to the sideline and I immediately thought of EJ in some game where EJ was chucking them way out of bounds( kinda like TT?)

On April 30, 2018 at 2:22 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And wasn't Sam Wyche brought in to work with Losman?  

They tried different techniques with Bledsoe to try and get him to get rid of the ball, which I don't recall really working.

The QB Guru David Lee made Fitzpatrick worse.